General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurance Nation plans? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-14 9:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Independence, KY
Subject: Endurance Nation plans?
I've been reading about the Endurance Nation training methods and it sounds interesting.  I've signed up for IM Canada 2010 and am looking for a plan that will fit my busy lifestyle.  Right now I'm working full time, have 2 children, in the middle of an accelerated MBA program and my wife is also in school for her masters.   As of now I'm beginning my run training for the 2010 Goofy challenge that's in January.  So as you can see the "going faster in less time" is appealing to me.

I ran in IM Lou in 2008 and felt I was trained to do the distance.  For that race I used the Ironman Plan from BT, but I don't think I'll be able to fit those hours in this year and I'd like to be faster than I was back then.

What I'm interested to know is if anyone purchased a plan from EN and if so what kind of results they achieved by following the plan? Also if anyone has any suggestions about other methodologies I could look into I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance - Kevin

2009-09-14 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2404808

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Endurance Nation plans?
I am not currently an EN member.  But I have been using EN plans, or at least following much of their general philosophy, since late '06 when I began training for my first IM (LP in '07).  I'd say their approach is generally sound and the weekly routine works well for me as a time-limited AG athlete.  Rich & Patrick also preach about IM race execution.  If you drink that portion of their 'kool-aid', you will improve your odds of having a good day in Penticton regardless of what training plan you follow.  Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

I will also tell you that they would actively discourage you from taking on the Goofy Challenge during your off-season.  I assume that won't alter your plans, but it will impact your ability to follow their 'off-season' training philosophy.
2009-09-16 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2404808

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Endurance Nation plans?

I am in EN member, Been training with them 2 years good progress.

1st IM 2008 - Wisconsin 11:33hrs

2nd IM 2009 - Canada 10:57.

Positives of the program:

- Fits busy lifetsyle, my max week for IM training was 17hrs.

- Really good team atmosphere/community you get to learn off stronger athelete.

- Coaches really know there stuff and are awesome people.

- Programs hang well togther.

- Cost.

- Education podcasts and Ebooks are second to none.

-vs of program

- You have to have a power meter and Garmin these are expensive to get set up. I would not use EN if you don't have a power meter.

- No swimming or weights in the offseason and I found the swimming program during IM season plans to be sub-standard and paid a coach to re-write them, my swimming has decreased year on year with EN. (This ties in with low hours listed in the above)

- Doing your marathon will be a detriment to your training. Strongly recommend you don't it.

- Size of community is growing up to 500+ athelete's which means interaction from coach's is very limited remember this is a self coached option.

- You have to be very durable in running in my opinion to execute the running, lot of hard running. But that makes you fast. A lot of less fit body comp challenged atlete's seemed to get injured this year.

Any other questions PM me.

Edited by jamesG 2009-09-16 7:35 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurance Nation plans? Rss Feed