United States
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 43m 3s
Overall Rank = 74/322
Age Group = M 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke to pouring rain, lightning, thunder, and doubts that the race would actually happen. Had coffee with bagels and honey, showered, shaved, dressed, dawdled, finally got in the car to go. Twenty-minute drive to race site, parked and unloaded, walked like a mile to transition area. Had to get body=marked and pick up chip before they would let you in the transition area, that took another fifteen-twenty minutes. Still got the non-aisle end spot on my rack, which was the one closest to the bike exit. Sweet!
Event warmup:

Nothing. After visiting a while, walked back to the porta potties by the swim, then back to set up my transition area. Then went back to the swim, thinking I was early, when someone shouted "Orange caps in the water, you're going off in four minutes." Apparently they wanted to get started fifteen minutes early due to the weather, but didn't do a good job communicating that to the participants. In the water quickly, peed while dog-paddling to the start. Had just enough time to slap on my cap and adjust my goggles when we started.
Swim
  • 20m 18s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

Overall, not a bad swim for me.

Cap came off immediately, had to take some time to put it back on correctly. Settled in for a while, then got too close to a guy who was doing a crawl stroke with his arms and a frog kick. WTF? He nearly got me a couple times with the kick before I put some distance between us.

Kept a fairly slow cadence (and resulting pace) for the whole swim, but managed to crawl the whole swim. First time I've done that on a swim this distance. Rest of the swim was pretty uneventful. Did notice that the skies were getting darker again.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, except learn how to swim.Last in age group by more than a minute. :(
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

Missed a step on the walkway coming out of the water, almost did a faceplant but managed to catch myself with my arms and spring back up, to an audible gasp coming out of the crowd.

Longish run to transition area, must have been a quarter mile or more, barefoot on rough asphalt, then grass. Once there, I had to run the length of the transition to get to my first-row rack. No problem with helmet or getting the bike off the rack, then it was maybe ten steps to the bike exit.

Decent mount, had about 500 yards of service road to get into my shoes, no problem there either.

Take a cab from the swim to the bike rack? Probably second or third in age group (half the times didn't seperate the T1-bike splits)
Bike
  • 53m 43s
  • 20 miles
  • 22.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Rain had abated throughout the swim but the roads are still soaked. My mindset from the start is one of caution, I know the course and don't think the surfaces are conducive to high speed maneuverability in wet conditions. So I'm probably overly cautious throughout this ride.

Caution wasn't a problem on the way out, as the wind is blowing in and all I can manage is 20-22 mph. Still manage to pass a lot of people in the first half the course. After the turnoff onto Ouzenne Road, the wind is behind us and I'm up to 24-25, but coasting early going into the turns. Around Mile 12 it starts to drizzle, then through the rest of the ride the rain becomes progressively harder.

Around Mile 15, I get a severe side stitch. I never get side stitches on the bike! All I can think is that I'm screwed if this lasts through the run, so I back off a good bit. Stitch abates after a couple miles, but by then I've wasted much of the best stretch of road on the course. Get back to US 90 and lay the hammer down, staying above 27 for about a mile, but too little too late.

Raining hard enough that I can't see out of my visor, so I flip it up and ride the last two miles with naked eyes.

Ride dry roads, use less caution, avoid a side stitch? Regaardless, I finished right above 22mph, figure about 1mph less than potential on a good day, but not bad at all considering the conditions. Managed to finish with all my skin attached and all the air in my tires, as several other finished with flats and road rash.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Decent enough, short run to rack with bike, had a little trouble getting the wet muddy feet into the Zoots, then had to run the length of transition to get to the run exit.

Nothing.
Run
  • 24m 43s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Leave transition to the loudest clap of thunder of the day, wonder if/when they're going to pull us off the course.

Rain was much appreciated on the run course, considering we usually do this in full sun, with the temperature and the relative humidity both in the 90s.

Pretty uneventful run, got passed by a couple younger runners, but didn't see anybody in my age group I could pass or be passed by. Saw a rival coming out of the turnaround, but he was too far ahead to catch. So, maybe the mental effort wasn't there...

Eh, maybe if I had the focus and incentive, I could have shaved a half-minute or so off of this. Still, decent enough effort, so I'm not going to beat myself up about it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank, ate, visited, checked the results. Saw it looked like I was going to get third in AG so hung around for awards. First time I've placed at CajunMan! Of course, smaller field due to the weather, but I'll take it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain, mental effort, overly cautious, mysterious side stitch on the bike.

Event comments:

Always a good event, biggest local triathlon, glad to be a part of it.

Last updated: 2009-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:18 | 800 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/9
Overall: 0/322
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Different than in the past. triangular course swam clockwise with buoys on the right.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:23
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:43 | 20 miles | 22.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/9
Wind: Some
Course: Bayou Tortue route, primarily an out-and-back with a ten-mile loop on the end.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:43 | 03.1 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/9
Performance: Average
Course: Out-and-back on the airport property, pretty decent hill which you descend on the way out and climb on the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-14 11:13 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: CajunMan Triathlon

2009-09-14 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2405081

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Subject: RE: CajunMan Triathlon
Nice job in the rain, and congrats on the AG. Way to geaux.
2009-09-14 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great job Bear,

I love that course, the water was drinkable on the swim and the bike was fast. I expect with the weather it was extra scarey on the bike. Congrats on the hardware.
2009-09-14 3:28 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-09-15 9:52 PM

Veteran
Nice job, podium finish even with the side stitches on the bike. I figured something was up when I saw you on the bike course.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CajunMan Triathlon Rss Feed