United States
TNT productions
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 01m 11s
Overall Rank = 2146/3933
Age Group = F 45-49
Age Group Rank = 35/134
Pre-race routine:

A little breakfast at the hotel, then onto the shuttle bus to the race site. A little moment of difficulty as our shuttle bus driver was not allowed by the police office blocking the road to get through to the transition area! Driver had to go around to another way in, where another officer let her through. End result was we only had about a half hour to set up transition area! Luckily that was enough....
Event warmup:

Nothing really. Not much opportunity. Sat around in the swim holding pen for an hour and a half waiting for my wave to go off.
Swim
  • 34m 43s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wow.... this was probably one of my worst swims EVER! I suppose it didn't help that I've probably only swum about 4 times in the past month or so... First problem was there was no countdown to our wave start. Just heard the horn blow and we're off! I'm not sure what happened, but in the first few hundred yards, I had a bit of panic & a dizzy/seasick feeling that made me have to stop and breast stroke for a bit to regain my composure. I think there may have been a little bit of chop or wake or something.... Swam past a lot of people in the waves ahead of us, even though I was having a sucky swim! Rounded the bouys pretty well, but rounding the bouys was definitely crowded! Got swum over by a guy in the wave behind me rounding one bouy. Second stop to breast stroke and regain my breath.... The way back cleared out a bit, but sighting was difficult since we were swimming into the sun and there were not many bouys to site off of. I think I was off course to the right for a good bit of the way back. Got my first kick in the face in this stretch.... third breast stroke break.... Finally rounded the final bouy and made my way to the ramp to exit. All in all not a stellar swim for me.
What would you do differently?:

Keep up my swim training before my next race?? Yeah - that would probably help!
Transition 1
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

Long transition area. I think I made my way through pretty quickly considering the size of it, and the fact that my bike was WAY off to the side.

Nothing really. My transitions could always probably be a little quicker, but I was okay with this one.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 50s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.68 mile/hr
Comments:

As always, I really enjoyed the bike. Crowding was a problem at points, but not as bad as I feared it might have been. Saw some interesting things on the bike course - 1) a racer on a mountain bike with NO HELMET -- why didn't pull his @ss off the course I don't know! 2) Some guy riding the opposite direction with a kid's bike trailer behind his bike -- WTF??? How the heck did HE get out there???

Pretty happy with my performance on the bike considering my bike training has also been pretty minimal in recent weeks.
Transition 2
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

T2 was fine. Forgot to loosen my speed laces before the race, though, so that cost me a few seconds.... there goes my podium spot!!

Make sure my shoes are ready to go!
Run
  • 1h 01m 4s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty happy with the run. I probably could have gone a little harder, but I knew this was not going to be a spectacular race.

Push a little harder.
Post race
Warm down:

A little walking around, grabbed some food, made my way into transition to pack up. A while later, rode back back to hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of swim & bike training, and my general sucky running ability!

Event comments:

I enjoyed this race. It was kind of fun doing a "big race" like this, but as you would expect, logistics are a bit of a pain. You've just to expect that and go with it in an event like this. I thought the organizers did a great job of getting all of the swim waves off relatively on time (I was in wave 28, and I think we were maybe 3 minutes past our "scheduled" start time, which really isn't bad considering how many people they had to get started).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my race performance (to 25% in my AG, top 30% in my gender) considering my lack of training over the past month or so. I forgot to start my watch at my wave start, so I had no idea of what my overall race time was during the course of the race. Had I known I was within a minute of 3:00, I would have pushed a little harder on the bike or run. Then again, it was kind of nice "racing" without regard to my overall time.

Last updated: 2009-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:43 | 1640 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/134
Overall: 2039/3933
Performance: Below average
Suit: Orca Sonar Full Sleeve
Course: Out & back. Into current on the way out, with current (but into the sun) on the way back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:50 | 24.85 miles | 18.68 mile/hr
Overall: 2159/3933
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: A little headwind on the first leg out. Some small hills, mostly flat to rolling. Course was definitely crowded in spots which probably slowed me down a bit.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:01:04 | 06.21 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 2562/3933
Performance: Average
Course: Nice flat run. Plenty of company!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes