Piranha Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 00m 24s
Overall Rank = 121/213
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 10/14
Pre-race routine:

after the wake up call, in room alarm, and James' iPhone went off, we were awake. got dressed and headed down for breakfast --- brought - and toasted - my poptarts and started hydrating. grabbed the bikes and packed the car and drove 15 min to the race start.

pre race panic
started putting air in the tires --- had to use the headlights from the car as the sun had yet to show. lazy sun. then.. why is no air staying in my tire? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH MY TIRE? TRANSITION CLOSES IN FORTY MINUTES AND I DON'T HAVE AN INFLATED TIRE AND THE MECHANIC LINE IS LONG AND NOT MOVING. I tried - with Deb's help - to change my tire, but we couldn't get it off the rim.

IS(=IronSherpa, = James) came, of course, to the rescue. He stood in line while I ran to the port o potties, got my wetsuit, laid out transition, etc. grabbed the tire with minutes to spare, threw it on the bike (front wheel. thank god.) and ran - literally - to the swim start.

Event warmup:

panic.
Swim
  • 46m 30s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt good during the swim - strong, smooth, decent sighting ... until I got out of the water. I looked at my watch: 44 minutes. FORTY FOUR MINUTES? I went 36 at Rhode Island. What did I do - take a nap during the swim? I mean, REALLY.

swim time includes .25 mi to T1.
What would you do differently?:

swim faster? jeez.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

not too bad... peeled off my wetsuit, put on socks and bike cleats (clipping in while riding may happen in a couple seasons...) , helmet, sunglasses, and ran off. not the fastest T1 time ever but not bad for me, esp. for a HIM.

not much
Bike
  • 3h 04m 52s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.18 mile/hr
Comments:

the bike was billed as "flat and fast" although I have come to learn that people's definitions of words like "flat" "fast" "rolling" and "hilly" vary greatly. ... with the exception of one tough bridge, the course was pretty flat. I mean, if I was averaging 18.4 mph.. yeah, flat.

cruising along pretty well, getting passed, of course [maybe everyone had a bad swim?] ... and then we got to this HUGE bridge. it was beautiful and it was over a lovely river, but man did it suck. I had to come out of areo and out of my big chainring. .. at least I wasn't the guy I heard say "is this the sprint course?" no, sir, it most certainly is not. the course was pretty nice, very well marked, lots of volunteers and and police officers.

going BACK over the bridge + headwind = yuck. headwinds in general kind of suck. you feel like you are pedaling normally, same amount of effort... and then look at the bike computer which reads 14mph. wtf? during the bike I thought about how long 112 mi was on a bike (or, um, in a car).

when I saw the bike dismount I was elated. so was my butt.

more time in the saddle. good ride overall.. happy w my average speed !
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

pretty fast for me
Run
  • 2h 04m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I am always so so happy to start the run. running is my first love and, unlike the pass, I can pass and am not too often passed (plus, those fast guys on the bike are already way ahead of me. or, well, finished).

the run was an out and back --- a mile around the national park and then several miles on the C&D Canel.

starting the run is always a big of a downer though... so happy to be done with the swim and the bike but it's daunting to have 13.1 mi to run. I fell into a very comfortable 9/mi pace, walking through the water stations and getting water + gatorade. miles 1-5 flew by and I was passing a lot of people. I got to the turn around at mile 6.55 and then, around mile 8, I was feeling.. well, finished. the thought of running 5 more mi - in the sun - was not appealing. still, I tried to stay positive. I took it mile by mile and told myself that I could have a walking break at the next aid station (they were at each mile).

at mile 6 I told myself that sub 6 was an almost-definite -- all I needed to do was keep 10 minute miles and I could do it ... but it would be a photo finish.

and then I realized, at around mile 9, that it probably wouldn't happen. I was slowing down, I was tired and sore and hot. shoulders were tight and feet were sore.

start out a leeeetle slower. still, a 9:30 pace for a HIM in the heat = good.
Post race
Warm down:

nothing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

no taper?

Event comments:

a good, local, low key race

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-12-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:30 | 1931 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 128/213
Performance: Bad
Suit: Blue Seventy Sleeveless wetsuit
Course: rectangular course
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:04:52 | 56 miles | 18.18 mile/hr
Overall: 171/213
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:04:22 | 13.1 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 97/213
Course: C+D canel
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-16 9:42 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: Delaware Diamondman Triathlon

2009-09-22 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2410794

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Subject: RE: Delaware Diamondman Triathlon
Nice job! I felt the same way about the swim...I was bummed at my time in that water...way to work through the run! It was HOT...
2009-09-24 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2410794

User image

pequannock
Subject: RE: Delaware Diamondman Triathlon
GREAT JOB !!!! I DID MY FIRST 1/2 IRON THIS SUMMER...IT WAS GREAT...

SEAN
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Delaware Diamondman Triathlon Rss Feed