TriCatSports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 36s
Overall Rank = 2/75
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30. Ate the usual breakfast (Mueslix and yogurt). Packed up the car. Woke the kids at 5am and carried them straight to the car.
Event warmup:

None. I was hanging out with the kids and my buddy Matt. Didn't really think to warm up. Matt and I tossed around the idea of a warm-up but it was too late by the time we thought about it.

I probably would have gone for a quick bike and/or swim if the family was not there.
Swim
  • 22m 58s
  • 1550 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started off in the front even though I'm not a front of pack swimmer. I like to let the faster swimmers go and try to draft off some of the 2nd tier swimmers. That didn't really work out either. After we rounded the 1st buoy, I lost the feet of the 3-4 guys in front of me and swam alone the rest of the way. They probably finished 30-40 seconds in front of me.

Included in the swim time is a 50 yard uphill run to the transition area. Actual swim times are probably about 30 seconds less.

Overall, I think I had a good swim. Much better than last year. The course seems like it might have been a little shorter. Not sure.
What would you do differently?:

Try to stay with my group after the 1st turn.
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

I felt pretty slow in T1. I felt slow taking off my wetsuit. I had trouble getting my shoes on. I had some gels in my helmet and I had troubel putting them in my shirt pocket. I even had some trouble clicking in to my pedals after crossing the timing mat. Overall, a pretty lousy performance.

I guess I need to work on swim/bike transitions.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 20s
  • 27 miles
  • 21.79 mile/hr
Comments:

I exited transition feeling pretty good. But it always takes me a few minutes to get comfortable on the bike after swimming hard. You don't have much of a chance to get your legs back before you hit "the hill" for the first of three times. The first time over that hill is always the worst. I'm a MOP swimmer so there was alot of carnage on that hill during my first lap. A little revenge on the faster swimmers is always nice. I think I passed about 8 people and I was only going 8-9mph. After the hill, I slowly started getting into a rythm. The back side of the bike course is smooth and fast. A really fun ride. It doesn't last long before you start on lap 2 and find yourself at "the hill" again. I slowly started picking up the faster swimmers during the bike. It was tough to tell whether I was passing the duathlon or triathlon bikers until I realized the du guys all had numbers in the 500s. The 2nd and 3rd times over that hill aren't nearly as bad. I think I passed the 3rd place guy on the bike course somewhere around the end of lap 2. We did a couple passes and re-passes before I went out in front for good after getting a gap during the 3rd time tackling "the hill". I finished about 30 seconds ahead of him...I think he may have started to pick up time during the flat back section. A pretty decent bike overall and I set myself up for a nice run.

Not sure really. I think I paced pretty well.
Transition 2
  • 00m 29s
Comments:

I think I had a pretty solid T2. Jumped off the bike and made it to the rack very quickly. I removed my helmet while running to my transition spot. Hat on. Shoes on. Number on. I usually grab my hat and race number after my shoes and put them on while I'm running....so I guess that's the only thing I could have done to make things faster. I'm not sure why I didn't do this...

Put on hat and race belt while running instead of putting them on in T2.
Run
  • 37m 46s
  • 6 miles
  • 06m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I finished the bike well behind the leader and about 30 seconds ahead of the guy in 3rd. I started off with a decent pace and was trying to judge how my running legs felt. Last year, I had a fast first lap and died on the 2nd lap. I didn't want to have a repeat. I even took a bottle with me this time to grab a few drinks during the first mile or so. I ditched the bottle by my families picnic table to retrieve after the race. After a mile or so, I started to feel pretty good and picked up the pace a little. I realized that the guy behind me was falling back so I didn't have much pressure to run fast. I took the one big hill nice and easy on the first lap. I finished the 1st lap in about 19:30. I saw a time of 1:57:30 on the race clock. I still felt really good and picked up the pace some more. I realized that nobody was catching me but I still wanted to break 2:20. This time, I really pushed the last couple of miles and started lapping people. I ran much harder up the hill this time and sprinted past a few people still on their first lap on the way down the other side. Finished strong and high fived my 4-year old on the finshing stretch. Definately a good run.

Not much really. It would have been nice to have somebody running with me to push the pace a little.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down. Hung out with the family and waited for Matt to finish.

I stuck around for the awards ceremony to pick up my age group award. I ended up winning the series competition. I don't feel like I really deserved it though. There was a guy that was a couple minutes ahead of me through the first two races that didn't show up for the Pinchot Oly. I guess I'll take it though. It's actually quite a nice plaque for such a small race.

Event comments:

There really isn't a nicer place in the area to have a triathlon. The swim is nice, challenging bike course and a great run. The people are friendly and there is a good vibe. It's the perfect place for a family to come and watch a triathlon up close. I hardly even see my kids during some of the big events...but you can pass you wife/kids/family several times during this tri.

Last updated: 2009-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:58 | 1550 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 15/75
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Z2 full
Course: Counter clockwise triangular course in Pinchot Lake. The swim course was 0.9 miles long.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:03
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:14:20 | 27 miles | 21.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 2/75
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loop course around Pinchot park. Front side is very hilly. Back side is smooth and fast.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:46 | 06 miles | 06m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 2/75
Course: 2 loops through Pinchot state park. Most of the run is a trail run with a short section on pavement near the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-17 8:17 AM

User image

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Subject: Pinchot Olympic

2009-09-17 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2411188

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Pinchot Olympic
Man, awesome race. Plus pulling in the series award to boot, great job.
2009-09-17 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2411208

User image

Expert
PA
Subject: RE: Pinchot Olympic
wow, awesome times in every category!  congrats on your winning! 
thats cool that you take your kids along too.  my kids look forward to my races as much as i do!  and i agree, pinchot is a great place to race and spectate.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinchot Olympic Rss Feed