General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HELP!! (re: transition setup) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-17 9:12 AM

Subject: HELP!! (re: transition setup)
This weekend is my first tri (sprint). I'm actually doing the race with 6 others, ALL of us are newbies!

I know we rack bikes according to bib #s but no specific spot is given (just the rack) to each person. For my first tri, I decided to switch back to cage pedals from my clipless (I'm not proficient enough at this point to do clipless), so I'll be using my running shoes for both the bike/run portion.

I've been trying to find threads or videos that help organize your transition area or even what to really bring. I have short hair (too short to put into a ponytail, too long to hold back with just a headband) so I'm bring an elastic to keep my hair back before my helmet (tried already in training, works great) and then I'll bring a hat to slip over for the run. I'm bringing a towel and small bucket to rinse off from swim to bike. I am wearing a wetsuit, so I need to do my little dance to get out of it (it's slightly small, so BodyGlide works decent but doesn't solve the whole problem).

What else to bring/organize at my spot?

2009-09-17 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2411368

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
Subject: RE: HELP!! (re: transition setup)
Look at this thread

It answers a lot of your questions and also has a link to a video that helped me out a lot.

ETA: different video link that I like better for setup. (just ignore the rubberbanding of your shoes)

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2009-09-17 9:32 AM
2009-09-17 9:24 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Please, for all that is sacred, leave the bucket home .......

As for what you need?  That depends on you.  But in general keep it simple.

Here's what I bring to races and set up in transition (all the way up to HIM distance):

Me (in my tri suit)
Bike (with one bottle on it)
Wetsuit
Goggles
Swim cap
Bike shoes
Helmet
Number belt
Visor
Running shoes

That's it.

And my set up?  Helmet sitting on handle bars.  On a mat or towel - bike shoes in front, visor, number belt and running shoes in back.  Clean, simple, easy to put on and get going.
2009-09-17 11:05 AM

Master
This video might really help
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1488

Daremo, as usual, has got it right....simplicity is best. Take only what you really need. If you've gone through a run through and haven't used something then leave it out. Clutter only serves to make life more difficult.

I would also advise against a bucket. Making your feet wet again just makes putting socks on a pain. Use a towel to get any sand off your feet and throw your socks on.
2009-09-17 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2411417

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Daremo - 2009-09-17 9:24 AMPlease, for all that is sacred, leave the bucket home .......

As for what you need?  That depends on you.  But in general keep it simple.

Here's what I bring to races and set up in transition (all the way up to HIM distance):

Me (in my tri suit)
Bike (with one bottle on it)
Wetsuit
Goggles
Swim cap
Bike shoes
Helmet
Number belt
Visor
Running shoes

That's it.

And my set up?  Helmet sitting on handle bars.  On a mat or towel - bike shoes in front, visor, number belt and running shoes in back.  Clean, simple, easy to put on and get going.
What he said.Guy next to me this past weekend at a race rolled out a 3x5 rug in "his area" which actually spanned his area, mine and the guy on the other side of him. Then he had to set up his large bucket to sit on, small bucket for rinsing, and countless other stuff. All he needed was a flat screen TV and he was set. Keep it as simple as possible.

Edited by elbi999 2009-09-17 11:10 AM
2009-09-17 11:16 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
Worst case..if you are really worried about rinsing your feet, take a spare water bottle and put plain ol water in it and spray off your feet, dry with towel and move on. I usually have a rinse bottle like this in transition, and I rarely use it. Either I forget or I just dont need it. But race conditions may warrant it at some point, so I just keep it there as an option.

Said above..i'll say it again: simplicity is key. Its a race, not a locker room.

I can see this turning into another god-forsaken bucket thread...

2009-09-17 12:25 PM

Thanks so much for the advice (and links) thus far...they help!

I will leave the bucket at home, but I like the spray bottle idea. I have already run through the course area and will be climbing up 6 stone steps from a beach area, onto another beach area, running through a sand/dirt mixture to our transition spot. I don't know how much I'll need the bottle yet, but it's small enough that it doesn't get in the way of others and if I don't use it, it's not much weight or size that could be cumbersome.

I'm usually pretty simple, so I'm glad to hear that simplicity is key. Laughing
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HELP!! (re: transition setup) Rss Feed