Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Found dog at 2 am Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-17 9:47 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: Found dog at 2 am
the weather has been cool recently so J and I have sleeping with the windows open.

at around 2:00am I hear this awful crying/ yelping noise. went outside to see what was going on and found a beautiful pit bull --- brown and white, definitely female (large nippes - probably nursing). She was very friendly - came up to me with her tail wagging.  Brought her inside (after herding the 5 foster kittens into the bathroom) and set her up with some (cat) food and water. she INHALED both.

I just dropped her off at the Md SPCA - where I am a volunteer and foster mom.  They said she was either a fighter or a bait dog or an overbred mom ... and it just breaks my heart.  At least I know she is in a place to recieve good medical care and healthy food.

Please keep this little girl in your thoughts/ prayers --- she really is a good dog -- so sweet and friendly (despite what she's seen and gone through) and I hope she pulls through.

Now I'm going to take a nap --- I was up all night with her and when I finally went to sleep I woke every 15-20 minutes.

Edited by trishie 2009-09-17 9:49 AM

2009-09-17 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2411474

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Found dog at 2 am
Trishie - That was so nice of you to help her.  I hope she finds a wonderful home.  They're fabulous dogs!!
2009-09-17 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
You are awesome. Stories like these just break my heart .... here's hoping she finds a great home!
2009-09-17 10:43 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-09-17 11:08 AM

Pro
yep,

great to hear about your story tricia.  I'll be sure to talk to you when I am need of a new puppy.

2009-09-17 11:23 AM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Yay for rescuing doggies! Hope she finds a good home.

Yesterday morning I found a brown pointer running up my street. He came right up to me and I ushered him into my yard - saw he had a collar but no tags (arrrgh!). He was hilarious... played with my dog a bit, then proceeded to jump in and out of the pond in my backyard a few times and was running around like crazy after that. He managed to find the one place he could get out of my yard, after trying to jump all the fences - he found a spot he had to jump over and he was gone . I tried to call him back but he was all the way down the street - hope he finds his way home.

I find on average 1-2 dogs a month running around my neighborhood and ALWAYS try to help them home. I stop my car and everything - I'd hope someone would do the same if my doggie was loose. I've found pitt bulls, shi-tzus, schnauzer, boxer,  labs, great dane mix, golden retrievers, more labs, dachshund mix, rottweiler, more labs... only 3 I can remember actually had tags on. One just about a month ago had tags but it was so worn down you couldn't read any of the engraving.

So please... keep current tags on your dogs! 

2009-09-17 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2411765

Master
Victoria, BC
Keep current tags - and make sure your yard is secure! If your dog is forever getting out - there's a problem and maybe your dog shouldn't be kept alone in the yard!

This happens in my neighbourhood all the time - there are 2 dogs (from 2 different houses) that are *always* getting out - like 2-3 times per week - and wander all over. I and most of the neighbours know where they live so we take them home and put them back in the yard - but what if they get hit by a car? There's a fairly busy road running thru the neighbourhood - the dog could wander that way. What if the little one (some kind of jack russell cross) gets picked up by an eagle or a coyote or tries to take on a racoon or something? We have all those things living here too ...

It worries me. As far as I'm concerned, in city living there is no need for a dog to be left alone in a yard all day. Just too many variables that you can't control while you're away at work.

Thank you SO MUCH for rescuing this lovely dog ... I hope she finds a good forever home soon. She certainly deserves it. Poor doggie.
2009-09-17 3:09 PM

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
A dog rescuer AND a cat foster-er? Man you're setting up your karma bank early . JK.

Thanks for going out there in the middle of the night. I'm sure your new buddy appreciates it.
2009-09-17 3:58 PM
in reply to: #2412372

Pro
Burbs
phoenixazul - 2009-09-17 4:09 PM A dog rescuer AND a cat foster-er? Man you're setting up your karma bank early . JK. Thanks for going out there in the middle of the night. I'm sure your new buddy appreciates it.

well, I AM an attorney, so I need to put something into my karma bank, right?

The SPCA thinks she has mange and is, obviously, underfed.  She has been made comfortable and given water and high quality food, and will be evaluated for tempermant tomorrow.

I've spent this morning scrubbing down the "kitten nursery" with a water/ bleach mix and washing all the cat toys.  ... is this was motherhood is like?

Thanks for all the well wishes!
2009-09-21 9:03 PM

Pro
Burbs
update on the pup....

the foster/ volunteer coordinator called me today... they kept her for a couple days and fed her puppy food.

she had her behavior assessment and it did not go well. she has become aggressive toward the staff and the other animals... they don't feel that she is adoptable

(the shelter evaluates each animal for health and temperment... if they are 'accepted' into the program, they are in until they are adopted - there is no 'cut off' to be adopted.  on the other side, if the staff feels that an animal is not healthy or dangerous, they will euthenize)

I've been a volunteer  and a foster mom through this shelter for 3+ years and I totally trust their decision... but it still just really sucks. Still, I truely believe that where she is now is a better place than where she was or what she was going through when I found her.
2009-09-22 12:48 PM

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
Hi Trish: Sorry to hear about the pup. I know how hard it is as I just put down a dutch shepard mix that I had been fostering for about 6 months. I had worked with him on his behavior issues, but to no avail, so unfortunately he went to the rainbow bridge. I have a scrap book with a page for each of my fosters who did not make it. I figure someone should remember them. Keep making desposits into the Karma bank.Smile

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Found dog at 2 am Rss Feed