United States
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 21m 15s
Overall Rank = 565/661
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 43/47
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6 am, took a shower and headed down for breakfast. Lyndie, the owner of the B&B, got me bagels and bananas. Had a plain toasted bagel, cup of coffee, and took a banana for the road. Drove to the train depot parking, and hopped on the shuttle to Apple Canyon Beach. John rode the bus with me to cheer me on, but we found out that this is not a 'spectator friendly' event; he missed me finish the race because the shuttles back to the finish line did not start running until noon.
Event warmup:

Stretched a bit, set up T1 and scoped the area for easy bike location coming in after the swim. Got my wetsuit on and at 9 am went into the water just to get used to the temperature. COLD! But great, I really prefer the cold water. Stretched a bit more after getting out of the lake.
Swim
  • 09m 52s
  • 660 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim, felt very strong, it went by almost too quick. About a 200 yd or so run into T1, overall a great swim. Wish it were longer. Cold did not bother me, but I am glad I decided to wear the wet suit, it really did not choke me during the swim like I was afraid it would.
What would you do differently?:

I would have tried to get to the front of the pack while on shore. I could have gone a bit harder on the first straight-away, took a few minutes to get used to the dark water.
Transition 1
  • 04m 46s
Comments:

T1 was pretty quick. Because we were not coming back to T1, I had to put all of our gear in a white plastic bag marked with my race number. Took a few minutes to get everything (towel, wetsuit, goggle, cap) into the bag. I had my bike gear set up pretty well, got right into the shorts and jersey pretty quick. The entire transition area was gravel, and thank goodness my bike was at the end closest to the entry from the swim, so I did not have to run barefoot on it, but little tough running on it with the bike shoes.

Bike shoes took the longest, tying the laces. I will have to get laces that can just be tightened. Overall decent T1, would have been about a minute less if I did not have to pack the gear in the bag.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 25s
  • 16.4 miles
  • 13.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Hard ride for me. The new bike really was fantastic, I think without it the ride would have been miserable. Even though I was getting passed, still felt really good on my bike. I did pass a few people, so didn't feel so bad. It showed me the amount of work I need to do on my leg strength and bike endurance. Good ride, very challenging. Hard to find any hills in the Plainfield area to really prepare for this race!

Nothing I could have done day of the race. I would have done exercises directed for builing leg muscles, I guess I have been spending too much time in the pool.
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

T2 was quick. I set up T2 the night before, so I had my shoes, shirt and race belt all ready to go. Again, the ties on the shoes took the most time.

Shoes and laces. I actually tied my shoes too tight, so it affected the first mile and a half of my run. Wondered why my calves were killing me and I could not even jog. More on that below.
Oh, and where were the port-oh-johns in T2? I had to pee so bad after the bike from everying I drank, but none in there.
Run
  • 49m 35s
  • 4.3 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I had to pee so bad for the first half of the run. Remembering what I had read here, I know people just go when they have to go, and I really tried to talk myself into it, but I couldn't do it. Thank goodness there was a porta potty on the course, but unfortunately it was not until mile 2. Felt a million times better after that. Got passed on the run also, but not as bad as the bike. Like the bike leg, showed me I have a lot of work to do on the running leg.

I would not have tied my shoes so tight, when I stopped to retie at mile 1, leg cramp instantly went away. Then I had to deal with the pee cramp until mile 2. Why were here not more potties either on the course or right after T2?
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around a bit, ate a banana and had some water. Stetched my legs very well. Watched and cheered for the finishers coming in, great to see all of the expressions of joy, pain, releif and pride as they crossed the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A few things really limited me: Lack of bike training, not able to pee on myself during the run to feel better, tying my shoes too tight. I have a lot of training to do for the rest of the races this season. Going to be focusing in on bike training and leg exercies for Reebok on 6/12.

Event comments:

I heard lots of complaining about the race, people complained the water was too cold, the course too hilly, the transition areas too far apart. I thought this race was nice just for those things, it is so different than any race I have done in the Chicago area. I will say they need to work on transporting spectators, they encourage the shuttle instead of driving to the lake, but then don't try to get spectators back in a timely manner. I am sure there are other roads to drive on back to town other than the bike route. I would definitly do this race again next year, good race to open the season with because it really is a challenge. I always like swimming in this lake. Last year the race was cancelled due to weather (I did not register for that race), so there was still talk of that this year. Overall a great race, great town, I always love going to Galena. The B&B we stayed at was lovely, right up the road from Main Street so we were able to walk into town Saturday night to enjoy the Galena nightlife (sort of sarcastic comment.... :) Overall good weekend for the race and for a getaway.
What made this nice too was the weather. Not too hot, not too cold. Little windy, some drizzle later on Saturday, but nothing major.

Last updated: 2005-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:52 | 660 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/47
Overall: 100/661
Performance: Average
Suit: one piece speedo w/short wet suit
Course: My wave went off at 9:33, running start. I was annoyed at the girl who was in front of me, she had no business being in the very front of the pack, she could barely swim. Got over the anger once I passed her, but she slowed me down a bit at the beginning. The swim itself was pretty simple, swam straight out, turned right, straight swim, right turn, straight, one more right, straight, then left into shore. Course well marked, did not get off couse or miss the big orange buoyed turns.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:14:25 | 16.4 miles | 13.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 39/47
Overall: 549/661
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: VERY HILLY! Honestly I was not ready for the course, though I knew what to expect. Course was very well marked, there were police at most turns directing riders. Could have used one or two more mile markers, there were markers at 3,6,9,15 miles. 9 to 15 felt like an eternity. The uphils killed me, my legs were just not strong enough for it. For everyone in my age group I beat on the swim, most (if not all) passed me on the bike. There were some pretty sweet downhills, especially after mile 15, so that made up for the difficult ups. Will have to really work on hills if I plan to do this again in 2006.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:35 | 04.3 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 46/47
Overall: 0/661
Performance: Below average
Course: Killer hill right out of T2. Due to bad tying of the shoes, my calves cramped on my walk up the hill. So steep I could not even try to jog. It was about this time I was wondering why I had even signed up for this race. Course was tough for me until I got to the porta potty around mile two. Once I took care of that, I had a really good run. After the turn around at about mile 2.5, it was mostly downhill, which added to the better run. After the turnaround, I got my second wind. The goo I had at the top of the run hill kicked in. Very strong finish then, that killer uphill at the beginning became a killer downhill at the end. I was trying to run/keep from falling all the way down.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-22 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL
Subject: Galena Triathlon

2005-05-22 10:30 PM
in reply to: #161493

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Galena Triathlon
Great report...on a great race...you smoke it on the swim!!

Lack of port a potties is always a drag...glad you found one even if it was at mile 2.

With your new bike you'll be getting better and better...watch out next year!!

Kathy
2005-05-23 7:06 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Great race!... especially considering you didn't even have your bike for a full week before heading into it.  And you probably won't have to worry so much about hills at the Reebok tri!    Congratulations on finishing strong!!
2005-05-26 3:57 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Maybe try those YANKZ! (elastic laces) for your shoes! I have "installed" them on every pair of shoes I own. (Well, those with laces...) LOVE them. Shoes feel the same each time, and there's no lace tying.

Nice job on the Galena Tri... I know the water was chilly that day... but that happens in May tri's in the Northern Illinois area! You're going to love Naperville! Can't wait to meet you!

Good Luck and Good Work!

Whizzzzzzzzzz

Edited by Whizzer 2005-05-26 3:57 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Galena Triathlon Rss Feed