General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 53

2010-09-19 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3106574

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
crea0029 - 2010-09-19 9:35 AM

Did everyone who has a cold now eat at the pasta dinner on Friday night????

I ate at the dinner and am totally fine.  Endurance events like marathons and IM take a toll on your immune system.  It isn't at all uncommon get sick afterwards.  I avoid it by taking magnesium/potassium supplements three days prior and sleeping and eating like it's my job post event.

2010-09-19 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3106346

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
IdealMuse - 2010-09-18 10:34 PM Okay, so did anyone learn something they might change for next year if they were to do the race again? Help those of us who are crazy enough to sign up for 2011! Mine biggest one is probably not helpful to the masses but.... The major thing I took away from this year was I need to work on my core strength. I had major back issues on the run as in my body would not stand straight up unless I forced it to. Constantly. Made running pretty damn hard.

One thing I would change for next year is where I started on the swim.  I am slow and was nervous about my first mass start so was way in the back and close to the buoy line.  I could have moved up quite a bit. I was stuck behind lots of people, including breast strokers who kind of kicked the crap out of me for a while.

One thing I did that I would not change is to stick with a conservative bike.  Even though I felt alone on an island that second loop, it set me up for a very good run.  Of course I'll be working hard in the off season to make my conservative bike faster than 15.3mph!

See you all in '11!
2010-09-19 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3106623

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

SSMinnow - 2010-09-19 11:51 AM

I ate at the dinner and am totally fine.  Endurance events like marathons and IM take a toll on your immune system.  It isn't at all uncommon get sick afterwards.  I avoid it by taking magnesium/potassium supplements three days prior and sleeping and eating like it's my job post event.

x2.  It's pretty normal to get sick after you have torn your body down like that.  I try to stay cognizant of areas where I can pick something up within the week after a big race.

2010-09-19 12:38 PM
in reply to: #2415722

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I know this is obvious, but I made mistakes on nutrition and hydration on the bike this year, I need to focus and force it in me next time.

For the swim, I would get in the water earlier and get to the other side of the ramp.  I think so many people got in late, that everyone was cramped on the entrance-side.  I couldn't get over to the other side if I wanted to, there were too many people.

2010-09-19 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3106708

User image

Master
Chicago
kalalau - 2010-09-19 12:38 PM

I know this is obvious, but I made mistakes on nutrition and hydration on the bike this year, I need to focus and force it in me next time.

For the swim, I would get in the water earlier and get to the other side of the ramp.  I think so many people got in late, that everyone was cramped on the entrance-side.  I couldn't get over to the other side if I wanted to, there were too many people.

I took the chance of swimming the bouy line despite all suggestions to start wide (about 3/4 the way back) and it really wasn't all that bad so I'd do it again. I've had more rough swims at the Chicago Tri. By the time the faster people lapped me it had thinned out.

I'm not sure why everyone was so timid about getting in 15 minutes early with the wetsuit one floats pretty easily and it doesn't take much energy at all.
2010-09-20 12:13 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
My lesson learned (and I've posted this in a few places, so sorry for the repeat) is if you are a slow runner like me, to train for DISTANCE and not TIME. I thought the advice was questionable when I recieved it over and over and over, and I should have listened to my instincts.

I DID listen to my instincts when it came to calories, specifically breakfast. There was a thread in which I shared what I was planning on for breakfast and I got called out by another BTer who said I was going to feel like crap all day if I ate that breakfast. I am happy to report I did NOT feel like crap, in fact I felt amazing all day and never got hungry or had stomach issues. I don't understand why people feel the need to call others' out and essentially curse their day (my first IM at that) just because it's not the strategy they would personally use. Especially since I made sure to note I'd practiced it on every long training day and it worked out perfectly. Gaaaah.

I did not get sick after, but did proactively take some Cold Eaze losenges in the days afterwards.

Hey does anyone know if we will get our finish line video? 

Edited by lisac957 2010-09-20 12:17 PM

2010-09-20 12:16 PM

User image

Regular
Madison, Wisconsin
Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of ordering finishing gear? They ran out at 9am and there are many disappointed people out there.

thanks.
2010-09-20 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3108030

Extreme Veteran
WI
lisac957 - 2010-09-20 12:13 PM My lesson learned (and I've posted this in a few places, so sorry for the repeat) is if you are a slow runner like me, to train for DISTANCE and not TIME. I thought the advice was questionable when I recieved it over and over and over, and I should have listened to my instincts.

I DID listen to my instincts when it came to calories, specifically breakfast. There was a thread in which I shared what I was planning on for breakfast and I got called out by another BTer who said I was going to feel like crap all day if I ate that breakfast. I am happy to report I did NOT feel like crap, in fact I felt amazing all day and never got hungry or had stomach issues. I don't understand why people feel the need to call others' out and essentially curse their day (my first IM at that) just because it's not the strategy they would personally use. Especially since I made sure to note I'd practiced it on every long training day and it worked out perfectly. Gaaaah.

I'm with you on your lessons learned.  I also trained my run for distance near the end rather than time and I think it helped (it wasn't monumental the difference between the time and distance I wanted to cover, but it helped on the bike as well).  Also, my race week and race day nutrition was no different than training (race day was the same as any other day and it sat fine, plus I finished eating 1:15 before the swim and for me that was perfect.).  Okay, I didn't train with potato chips, cookies and broth during training, but those didn't cause any issues either.  I had no GI issues through the day.

It's amazing how different we all are in terms of what we train with for nutrition and what we can handle.  And some "experts" want to push you in a direction that may or may not work for you.  I found some new ideas through BT advice and tried them on my own and adjusted to my own needs and wants.  I need to still improve my race nutrition, but my own trial and error helped me find solutions that worked - they may not be perfect but they worked.

Good for you for having a nutrition-GI-friendly event!
2010-09-20 12:53 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
lisac957 - 2010-09-20 1:13 PM My lesson learned (and I've posted this in a few places, so sorry for the repeat) is if you are a slow runner like me, to train for DISTANCE and not TIME. I thought the advice was questionable when I recieved it over and over and over, and I should have listened to my instincts.

I did not get sick after, but did proactively take some Cold Eaze losenges in the days afterwards.

This is why I rarely post outside of the IM discussion groups anymore. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on this site, but they aren't experts and we're all very different when it comes to our training approaches, needs and variables. You were smart to follow your instinct, you know what's best for you!

I've never heard of finish videos being available so if they are this time it will be a bonus! But we didn't get them at WI last year or LP this year. I always enlist a friend or family member to capture one for me.
2010-09-20 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3108040

Extreme Veteran
WI
Kpoulsen - 2010-09-20 12:16 PM Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of ordering finishing gear? They ran out at 9am and there are many disappointed people out there. thanks.

I saw that they just added some mid-season 70.3 finisher gear to the Ironman Shop site.  So, I wonder if it will be a while for IMoo.  I'm in the same boat... the hat, shirt and stickers aren't enough!  I'm mocking myself since I want one of those sweet K-Swiss jackets. I almost tried on an XS just in case they ran 3 sizes too big. 
2010-09-20 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3106581

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
LazyMarathoner - 2010-09-19 9:49 AM
1stTimeTri - 2010-09-18 1:02 PM *bump*

Love the new avatar

Thanks.  It's a little small, though, so it's a little tough to make out.  It's a little "un-Donkai"-like for once.

2010-09-20 1:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
lisac957 - 2010-09-20 12:13 PM My lesson learned (and I've posted this in a few places, so sorry for the repeat) is if you are a slow runner like me, to train for DISTANCE and not TIME. I thought the advice was questionable when I recieved it over and over and over, and I should have listened to my instincts.

First off, congrats on a great race, Lisa!

And Kristin - I think you are the one (pink hat/visor, IIRC?) who made a comment to me just prior to the finish line to keep running - thanks for that!   Congrats on a great race to you as well!

Lisa - I agree with your comments above...  This was my first IM, and up until the event, I was guilty of buying into a lot of the "...MUST do X,Y,Z or your race will FAIL!..." crap that's out there.

Although I did ended up training and executing the race on my own terms, mis-steps in training & prep sure as heck cost me a lot of wasted time and $$$ along the way ("oooh, I MUST have this bike upgrade", or "I MUST do this ABC workout"). 

As Endurance Nation preaches, "Don't eat the paste", and that wise advice extends far - I learned that my gut will take darn good care of me if I let it.

Next time, I'd like to use a coach or training program to help me reach loftier goals, but (especially after experiencing an IM from training-to-finish) I won't be afraid to push back on advice I get that doesn't quite jive with me.

Smarter, better, faster - our experiences last Sunday will make us that much better next time!

Cheers, Chris
2010-09-20 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3108140

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

dar89 - 2010-09-20 1:57 PM
I saw that they just added some mid-season 70.3 finisher gear to the Ironman Shop site.  So, I wonder if it will be a while for IMoo.  I'm in the same boat... the hat, shirt and stickers aren't enough!  I'm mocking myself since I want one of those sweet K-Swiss jackets. I almost tried on an XS just in case they ran 3 sizes too big. 

I saw a lot of people asking for these and the answer from the store guy was to email the IM store folks and if enough people ask about it, they may run a batch.

2010-09-20 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3108220

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Hydro - 2010-09-20 2:27 PM

First off, congrats on a great race, Lisa!

And Kristin - I think you are the one (pink hat/visor, IIRC?) who made a comment to me just prior to the finish line to keep running - thanks for that!   Congrats on a great race to you as well!

Lisa - I agree with your comments above...  This was my first IM, and up until the event, I was guilty of buying into a lot of the "...MUST do X,Y,Z or your race will FAIL!..." crap that's out there.

Although I did ended up training and executing the race on my own terms, mis-steps in training & prep sure as heck cost me a lot of wasted time and $$$ along the way ("oooh, I MUST have this bike upgrade", or "I MUST do this ABC workout"). 

As Endurance Nation preaches, "Don't eat the paste", and that wise advice extends far - I learned that my gut will take darn good care of me if I let it.

Next time, I'd like to use a coach or training program to help me reach loftier goals, but (especially after experiencing an IM from training-to-finish) I won't be afraid to push back on advice I get that doesn't quite jive with me.

Smarter, better, faster - our experiences last Sunday will make us that much better next time!

Cheers, Chris

Hey, I was in a pink hat! With a little crystal M-dot on it. I was in all black, very New Yorkish of me Congrats to you as well.

On the coaching front, I can't recommend it enough. I know it's a financial commitment but it is so nice to have a customized approach and you can select different tiers to fit your budget. I have a hectic schedule so having a coach allowed me to train a little less but get more out of the time and I ended up with a big PR. And stayed healthy, even through two IMs in two months. It also allows me to trust my plan and I completely ignore the opinions offered from others, he and I know what works best for me.
2010-09-20 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am sick as a dog right now....where did that expression come form anyway? 

If anyone hears anything about finishers gear or videos please post....
2010-09-20 3:01 PM

User image

Regular
Madison, Wisconsin
The manager for merchandise is Doug Coulthart. His email is [email protected]. The more people who request finisher gear, the better chance that we have I would think.

I have yet to receive a reply from Doug.

2010-09-21 8:11 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
2010-09-22 9:41 AM

User image

Marshfield Wi
Anyone know when and where the race will be on tv?
2010-09-22 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3108489

User image

Veteran
Mukwonago, WI
Kpoulsen - 2010-09-20 3:01 PM The manager for merchandise is Doug Coulthart. His email is [email protected]. The more people who request finisher gear, the better chance that we have I would think. I have yet to receive a reply from Doug.

I sent him an email this morning.  I bought a finishers jacket that is just a little bit too small and would like to buy one that fits.
2010-09-22 4:11 PM
in reply to: #3108140

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
dar89 - 2010-09-20 12:57 PM
Kpoulsen - 2010-09-20 12:16 PM Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of ordering finishing gear? They ran out at 9am and there are many disappointed people out there. thanks.

I was to late to get a jacket as well.  On a side note I have a friend who works for a investment organization, to remain nameless, who invests $ millions in WTC/Ironman.  Anyway he is in contact with high level corporate types at WTC/Ironman asking about the finishers gear and the potential for another production run.  Seems like they are losing out on a lot of money by not having enough gear for the finishers who want it.  It will be interesting to see the outcome / response.   

I understand there is a balance between having excess and enough for those who want it.  But people where actually camping out at 1 AM the morning prior to be in line to buy gear.  To me that is not something I was willing to do after pay $550 and spending 13 hours in the event.  I would have hoped they had enough inventory for the finishers.  Might also be a function of the expanded field, almost 3000, which has grown steadily over the years.  Maybe their purchasing department has not caught up with the # of people entered. 
2010-09-22 9:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

The jackets were pretty nice, I'd consider them if they were available as well.

I wonder what they are going to do with all the jerseys and windbreakers they had left over.  There were a lot of them late Monday.  They were offering them for 15% off but I wasn't wanting a memory of this race at the time.

Edited by kalalau 2010-09-22 9:02 PM

2010-09-23 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3113120

User image

New user

Waunakee, Wisconsin
kalalau - 2010-09-22 9:01 PM

The jackets were pretty nice, I'd consider them if they were available as well.

I wonder what they are going to do with all the jerseys and windbreakers they had left over.  There were a lot of them late Monday.  They were offering them for 15% off but I wasn't wanting a memory of this race at the time.

All the stuff left over is typically XS and XXL sizes--this is what ends up in their online store...
2010-09-23 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3114317

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

hschrade - 2010-09-23 2:05 PM
All the stuff left over is typically XS and XXL sizes--this is what ends up in their online store...

They had an overabundance of bike jerseys and windbreakers late Monday, of all sizes.  I saw lots of larges left, and for jackets there were a good amount of mediums.  You might be right that only the odd sizes make it to the store though.  But in general the rack did not look much different than it did on Friday, I'm not sure the cow print went over very well.

2010-09-24 4:56 PM
in reply to: #3114667

User image

New user

Waunakee, Wisconsin
kalalau - 2010-09-23 3:23 PM

hschrade - 2010-09-23 2:05 PM

They had an overabundance of bike jerseys and windbreakers late Monday, of all sizes.  I saw lots of larges left, and for jackets there were a good amount of mediums.  You might be right that only the odd sizes make it to the store though.  But in general the rack did not look much different than it did on Friday, I'm not sure the cow print went over very well.

Oh yeah, THAT gear that they had right when you walk in...I was thinking of the finisher stuff that was gone within an hour.  Maybe they can add "finisher" to it to get it moving!
2010-09-24 8:03 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Hey all, I am looking for a guy I walked/ran with some during IMWI.  Of course after 14 hours I could not remember his name or his BT name.  I know he has a tattoo on his calf of a horseshoe with the M-dot in the middle of it.  His boss(?) had a tattoo on his calf also.

Can anyone identify him?  He was doing the IM with his boss and I believe they are from St. Louis or KC, somewhere in the midwest.  They helped me stay in the game when things got dark for awhile during the run.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 53