General Discussion Race Reports! » Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Orange Beach, Alabama
United States
Team Magic
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 17m 39s
Overall Rank = 23/298
Age Group = Mixed Relay
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

I am putting our rankings against individual in the race. Not a fair comparison but it does give me a point of reference.

3 teams full of friends, My niece Savannah swimming, me on the bike, friend Joe running vs My friend Dave's daughter Margaret swimming, Dave biking, and Frank Running vs Lindsay swimming, Scott biking, Kit Running.
Swim
  • 19m 1s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

my 13 year old niece Savannah did the swim leg today. She is an accomplished swim teammer and has done well in pool triathlons. She has never done a gulf race. Her good friend Margaret was on rival team. Time trial start and they stated close the whole time. Margaret beat her out of the water by 9 seconds. She put 2 minutes on Lindsay, our friend from the other competitive team.
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Savannah ran to the tent and found me. We lost 17 seconds to the leaders here. Probably me being slower than Dave in bike shoes.

The other team lost 1:18 here, don't know what they
Bike
  • 1h 12m 6s
  • 24.5 miles
  • 20.39 mile/hr
Comments:

After T1 behind Dave by 26 seconds. Since I knew Savannah and Margaret started together, I knew we were pretty much in race order. not sure where the other team is as Lindsay didn't start with us and the TT start makes it impossible to tell how they stand. They were actually 3:18 back.

Mounted bike and took off. I could see Dave ahead and just got down aero and pushed. The wind was mostly cross but I realized that it would be the more favorable wind and the way back would be tougher. I caught Dave at mile 5 and thought to myself got u Buddy. At mile 6, Dave passed me back, dang. We continued like this for the next 12 miles. I took Dave on both versions of the bridge but he reeled me back both times. We turned into the park and at the turnaround Dave was less than 30 feet back. I kept pushing and never looked back. Turned back on the beach road and didn't see him. 1.5 miles to go, pushed so hard, stood with half mile togo and sprinted in. Almost collapsed. Skidded to the dismount line and ran in to drop off the bike. Got off the bike and took the Chip to Joe.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Told Joe not to let up that Frank would be in shortly and we didn't know where the other team was. We were a minute and 35 seconds ahead of Dave's team. Because of the swim start we didn't know how close Lindsay's team was. They were actually only 16 seconds behind.
Run
  • 44m 13s
  • 6 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow, we just waited at the line. Joe finished and frank was not far behind. Frank took 48 seconds out of Joe, so beat them by 48 seconds. We waited for Kit to come in and she finished 7 minutes later. We didn't know for sure if that would catch us or not. We knew she started at least 6 minutes later than our teams. Turns out she didn't beat us. Final offical results

Savannah, Ken, Joe 2:17:39
Margaret, Dave, Frank 2:28:27
Lindsay, Scott, Kit 2:20:02

2:23 from top to bottom, wow.

We were 2nd in each event, but won the overall.
Post race
Warm down:

beer

Event comments:

As usual top notch job by Team Magic. Moved the race a mile down the beach and added a mini race. Tripled the attendence from the first 2 years. Post race was at The Hangout, beach restaurant and beer. They had food and plenty of beer.

First time I ever won first in a triathlon event.

Last updated: 2009-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:01 | 1500 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 17/298
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out 200, 1100 across, in 200 Gulf Swim
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:26
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:06 | 24.5 miles | 20.39 mile/hr
Overall: 85/298
Performance: Average
Avg HR 260 Half way split of 35.48, second half 36:18
Wind: Some
Course: Out from the Hang Out 8 miles. Over Perdido Pass bridge, under the bridge and back over, back to State Park Road, 3 mile out and back to the bridge then back on the beach to transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:13 | 06 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Overall: 11/298
Our Runner Joe did the mini sprint while Savannah was swimming and I was on the bike. He won 3rd in his AG in around 56 minutes. He had about an hour to rest before the relay leg.
Course: flat out and back on the beach road.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-20 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Triathlon

2009-09-20 5:38 PM
in reply to: #2416342

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Triathlon
Super job..sounds like a blast for you and your buddies!

Interesting 2nd in each leg but overall first.

Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Triathlon Rss Feed