General Discussion Race Reports! » Baer and Associates Cyclocross Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply

Baer and Associates Cyclocross Race - CycleCyclocross

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sprague Brook Park, New York
United States
Buffalo Bicycling Club
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 8s
Overall Rank = 14/20
Age Group = 35+
Age Group Rank = 14/20
Pre-race routine:

Went to church, went home packed the truck up with my mountain bike and cross bike. Grabbed some grub and headed out.
Event warmup:

Rode the mountain bike around on the trails for about 30 minutes then switched over to my cross bike and tooled around the course and the park. Saw a friend from church who had done the trail run in the morning so I chatted with her and her kids for a while.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 8s
  • 11.73 miles
  • 10.81 mile/hr
Comments:

What a beautiful day for a cross race. I need to find a larger gear for my Single Speed - running 36/16 right now and will go to 36/18 minimum but most likely 36/20 for the rest of the season.

I am very happy with this race. I started off in the back because I was the only SS racer (so I won that category right :) ) and ended up passing 6 different racers (all with gears!)
What would you do differently?:

Not ride as hard as I did on Saturday and buy a bike with gears!
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with the Rochester people about their races coming up - rode down to my truck and packed up and picked up son from a birthday party. No rest for the weary!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Single Speed bike and Saturday's bike ride

Event comments:

This is the closest race to my house and I love it. Cannot wait for next years running of it. 2 more years and I can do both 45+ and open - that should be fun - maybe I will have gears by then.

Well I finished 14th out of 20th. Not bad as I was the only one on a SS. I am very pleased with this effort especially when I rode as hard as I did on Saturday.

Good things to come if I ever get smart and get a bike with gears!

Last updated: 2009-09-21 12:00 AM
Biking
01:05:08 | 11.73 miles | 10.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/20
Overall: 14/20
Performance: Good
7 Laps - Avg H/R 164 - Max H/R 175
Wind: Little
Course: Technical course around Sprague Brook Park. Talked with someone from Rochester and they said this was the most technical course around.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-21 7:30 AM

User image

muck raker
Looking to enjoy life-Be grateful for everything!
Subject: Baer and Associates Cyclocross Race

2009-09-21 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2417068

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Baer and Associates Cyclocross Race
Congrats!

You did well, passing folks, and had a blast. Where do you see your biggest strengths?

Cross with single speed is crazy hard. Around here some of the races have separate field for single speed racers. I hear there is even a cross race this year for tandems..now that would be fun to watch.

So glad you had fun and it is close to home so fits into busy life.
2009-09-21 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2417142

User image

muck raker
Looking to enjoy life-Be grateful for everything!

KathyG - 2009-09-21 9:07 AM Congrats!

You did well, passing folks, and had a blast. Where do you see your biggest strengths?

Cross with single speed is crazy hard. Around here some of the races have separate field for single speed racers. I hear there is even a cross race this year for tandems..now that would be fun to watch.

So glad you had fun and it is close to home so fits into busy life.

It was funny about half way through I burped and all of a sudden I got stronger.  I just kept the same energy level through the whole race - maybe it was good pacing but I actually felt like I was getting stronger as the race went on - it hurt a lot more but the pain did not bother me.  My H/R avg was 164 and that is pretty high for me for 1 hour.  I know I would not have been able to do 164 for 4 hours like I did 159 in the marathon.

I said hi to one guy before the race and he blew me off so needless to say when I saw him in my range I purposely blew by him - jerk wad .

A guy in a tree taking pictures about 1/2 way through says great job on the SS and that jacked me up for a while also.  Glad to see people understand the difference.  Next Saturday is a Canadian SS Championship close to home but I don't see me doing it - just too busy right now.  These races are not big enough locally for a SS category but maybe someday

Good luck on your races coming up Kathy!  They are fun!

2009-09-21 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2417068

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Great job Billy!!!  That is quite some effort on a Single!!!  Keep up the good work!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Baer and Associates Cyclocross Race Rss Feed