Make A Wish Foundation of the Mid Atlantic
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 30m 3s
Overall Rank = 53/391
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/42
Pre-race routine:

Got up, took the dog out, woke the kids and Mir got them ready to hop in the car with food and snacks. We only had to go about 10 minutes to the race sight, so easy drive there from the beach house (Mir's Aunt's place). Set up transition then came back to the car and said Hi to the kids and Mir. Unlike last week, I took my medication before the race as I missed a dose on Thursday and my heart was freaking out all day until I got home and took the evening dose. Don't need that in an ocean swim race!! Gu ROctane with some Gu2O before getting the wetsuit on. Didn't have a good feeling about the race as I was already tired.

I also had just bought a new heart rate monitor and wanted to wear it during the race to see how screwed up my HR zones are now with the drugs. Based on a few training runs with it I knew I was down about 35 - 40 beats over what I usually would be doing the same effort off of the medication. Yes, that is correct .... 35 - 40 beats. Talk about rev-limiter!
Event warmup:

Put the wetsuit on, walk about 3/4 mile down the beach to the swim start. It was nice once the wetsuit was on. But in the mid-upper 50's air temp. Water was around 71 though and was the warmest part in the beginning!
Swim
  • 33m 9s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Yeah, I suck in the water. Only 2md swim in quite a while. First ever real ocean swim (IMFL didn't count as the water was like a pool that day). Never got into a rhythm swimming freestyle. Came real close to saying screw it and dropping out as I mentally wasn't there but pushed on ..... breaststroke. Must have swallowed about a gallon of salt water when I did try to freestyle regardless of which way I tried to breathe and would start to get mildly sea sick trying freestyle. I actually think the swim was shorter than 1.5k, but time was right around what I did at Nations last week (which I thought was long but where I had a really solid swim).
What would you do differently?:

Swim?? It's been two months since I've done any training in the water.
Transition 1
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

7/42 in AG and 57/391 overall. Which considering how I wasn't really putting a lot of effort into moving quickly goes to show I'm fairly efficient overall. Even with a lackluster blasse attitude I still put in a relatively good time here.

Hurry the hell up. I could have been about 30 - 45 seconds faster here easily including the run up from the beach and such.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 35s
  • 25.46 miles
  • 22.60 mile/hr
Comments:

I just had nothing in the legs. No pop, no oomph, nothing. Didn't even try to go with the few people that passed me (all from the 40 - 49 wave behind me). I caught a lot of people and was never in any threat from anyone in my AG but I just had no power at all. It was more going through the motions.

Compared to last week this ride sucked. In fact in general this one sucked. Yeah, I know. A lot of people would kill for this sort of split. But I rode this course last year almost 5 minutes faster and still put up a decent run split. This year I was just anxious to get it over with and was dreading the run ahead.

Train on the bike - like the swim it has been 2 months basically. Not have a bum heart that requires medication which slows me down.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Pretty solid transition. When I got in and saw hardly any bikes on the racks around me I was a little more motivated to get moving. 8/42 for AG and 55/391 overall.

Get into the shoes faster. I also walked for a few seconds while putting on my visor and number belt when I usually would be running. Only a few seconds lost there though.
Run
  • 44m 52s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt better on the run. Of course that was all sparked by stopping on the run out to the street and giving Mir a big sloppy sweaty kiss!! A little dip and flare before heading down the street. Julie (our friend and neighbor) caught it on her i-phone and it was a great shot! ;-)

I was actually feeling okay on the run and held back just a hair at the start since last week I started out fast and then faded. Picked it up after I passed the only woman who started in the "elite" wave (all 6 people that did that) and then just tried to pick off a few more. At the turn around I was about 30th on the road (knowing there were still plenty of people that started in waves after me that could be faster than me) so that made me feel a little better. Started to tire toward the end but still stayed fairly even with pace. Got passed by 3 more guys later in the run, none in my AG. As the finish approached I knew there were a few more coming so I picked it up and didn't let them catch me. Last week I didn't care and let about 5 people past me in the last mile, so from that perspective it was a success.

Nothing, best run I could do on dead legs. Pretty content with this leg of the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some drinks and fruit and looked for Mir, Julie, Matthew and the kids. Talked for a few minutes then went to close up my transition and meet everyone for the post race grub.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, racing last weekend, heart medication.

Event comments:

This is a really nice race in a family friendly area put on with assistance from the Columbia Tri Assoc. I didn't have a very good race either mentally or physically, but the event itself was well done as always and it has some of the best post-race grub of any tri that I do, plus all the beer you can drink!! ;-)

Last updated: 2009-03-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:09 | 1640 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 29/42
Overall: 263/391
Performance: Bad
HR average was only somewhere in the 118 range ...... no joke.
Suit: Desoto T1 Black Pearl. Arrrrrrr......
Course: Out into the waves about 50 yards, turn left and parrallel the beach, turn back in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:07:35 | 25.46 miles | 22.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/42
Overall: 19/391
Performance: Below average
HR average was in the 126 range. Yeah, you are reading that right .....
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out, loop, back. Flat and boring.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:52 | 06.21 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/42
Overall: 46/391
Performance: Good
HR actually got up for this one! Somewhere in the 140 range for average. Of course last year I would have been in the 175 - 180 range for the same effort.
Course: Down Coastal Hwy, turn around, come back. Flat and boring.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-21 1:53 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: Make-A-Wish Triathlon

2009-09-21 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2418098

User image

New user

Washington, DC
Subject: RE: Make-A-Wish Triathlon
Yes, I would kill for that bike split! I think that was a pretty awesome performance considering the heart issues. Shows me how far I have to go.

What's with the competition in this race? I would have been MUCH better racing in the group 20 years younger than me and same for you with the group 10 years younger than you.

Graeme

-The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.
2009-09-21 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2418462

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I have raced with a bunch of the 40+ guys from this race in the past.  They are a force to be reckonned with over on the shore!  At a sprint I did back in March, 7 of us in the top 10 overall were in the 35 - 44 age groups.  Talk about tough!  Not looking forward to aging up in two years to the 40-44.
2009-09-22 8:01 AM

Extreme Veteran

So that explains why I didn't see you on the bike. That was a nice run split for which I would die for! Glad you finished, nice meeting you and good luck with the medication.

2009-09-22 6:00 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
What did you notice in regards the the HR?
2009-09-22 7:57 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Oh, and stop posting you placement in transition...nobody cares....

....except Aaron....

2009-09-23 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2420890

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
bryancd - 2009-09-22 7:00 PM What did you notice in regards the the HR?

Swim stayed in the 11X range, bike was in the 12X, run got up to the 14X.

In other words, about 40 beats below where it normally world be ............ that's insane ........
2009-09-23 8:07 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

Great race and super fast bike!  Nice job.  Weird about the HR...that's really low to be going that fast!  Is this related to the medical issues you posted a couple weeks ago? 

brw...keep posting those placements in transitions! 

2009-09-23 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2421573

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
rayd - 2009-09-23 9:07 AM

Great race and super fast bike!  Nice job.  Weird about the HR...that's really low to be going that fast!  Is this related to the medical issues you posted a couple weeks ago? 

Yup.  Beta blocker for the atrial fibrilation.  My standing around heart rate is down around 48 or so now ......... and I've seen 39 just sitting there reading a book (resting HR used to be in the upper 50's).

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Make-A-Wish Triathlon Rss Feed