General Discussion Triathlon Talk » need training advice after cycling accident Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-24 1:51 PM

New user

Subject: need training advice after cycling accident
Hi!  I have been training to do my first olympic-distance triathlon on October 11th.  My training was going very well and I did my first (ever) sprint tri a couple weeks ago to try it out- it was great!!  I had about 2 more weeks of pushing the training before I was going to taper down for a couple weeks and then do the olympic distance, but last Friday I got into a pretty bad accident on my bike- the gist of it is that I had a concussion and 12 stitches above my eye, along with a really badly scraped up shoulder and lots of other scrapes & bruises- mostly on my left side.  I don't remember any of it- the last thing I remember is being on the bike trail long before the place where I was told I crashed, and the first thing I remember afterwards was (vaguely) going in for a CAT scan, and then my husband being in the hospital room with me.

It's been 5 days now and I'm actually feeling much better than I thought I would by now.  My dr. basically said that I would probably be OK to do the triathlon on the 11th, "but maybe not for time," (really?  why else do we do it?)... anyway my question is this:  What is the best way for me to finish up my training over the next few weeks?  I'll have missed essentially a full week of training when it's all said and done.  Do I pick up and do a hard week, and then taper down like I planned?  (will my body even allow that?)  And what's the best way to "taper down" anyway?  Or is it better to just do some lighter workouts over the next few weeks until my triathlon?  I'm afraid that after not finishing the training up strong I won't be ready for the olympic distance!  Any advice you can give would be great- I could really benefit from the voice of experience right now!!

Thanks very much!!

2009-09-24 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2424688

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: need training advice after cycling accident
I know (from too much experience) this is the last thing you want anyone to say... but

Heal First.
Going for time is going to put more strain on the body than it needs right now (IMO)

heal up fast
2009-09-24 4:21 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
I had a similar issue, 2 1/2 weeks before my first HIM I was hit by a car on my bike.  Bike was destroyed and my shoulder made running more than a mile hurt, so it forced an instant 'no activity' taper for me.  Basically went from the middle of my last decently hard training push to nothing.  But letting my body heal itself, not only from the accident, but also from having been pushing hard those days leading up to it was the best thing for me.  Ultimately my training was basically done, nothing else you can do to prepare when there's 2 weeks left.  But had I tried to go at my training level (even at the taper level) my body wouldn't have been able to repair itself in time for the race.  Ultimately my shoulder felt good and I managed to get a few easy runs in the week leading up to the race and a 20 mile ride on a bike 2 days before the race.  Definitely not the taper I planned, but you have to be flexible and deal with the situation at hand.  Do what's best for your body to heal as completely as possible before the race and trust that your training already had you to that point you needed without you knowing it.  I felt much stronger the days prior to the race compared to the days just prior to the accident because of the rest and nutrition I gave my body to repair.

You won't get those last weeks of harder training sessions in there, but at this point you've built a base up well enough to do well in the race if you're body is healed.  The last few weeks of training were just going to be icing on the top.  Be thankful you can do the race at all, and be thankful that there's still more races in your future after this one.  As much as it might seem to suck to you, there are others who would have loved to only have had your injuries after their accidents.

You'll be fine, but give you body time to heal, otherwise you could be effecting not only this race but your training for your next race too.
2009-09-24 4:31 PM

Master
Since you've been training for a while, I wouldn't let this last 2 week period derail you entirely. You may want to do some reviewing of your goals and perhaps be realistic based on what's going on.

If you've been following a plan, I would just do a best-effort to stay on track but don't beat yourself up too much if you miss a day or 2. Try and get those key workouts in and see what you can do. Your performance is the sum of your training not any one day.
2009-09-25 9:10 PM

New user

Thanks for the good advice; it gives me some perspective!  I think you're all right- giving my body time to heal is going to be the best thing in the long run, and finishing off my training a little differently than planned probably won't hurt too much in this race- at least I'm still healthy enough to do it- I still can't believe I didn't break any bones!  Thanks again!
2009-09-25 11:11 PM
in reply to: #2424845

User image

New user
Lehigh Valley, PA
Leegoocrap - 2009-09-24 3:48 PM I know (from too much experience) this is the last thing you want anyone to say... but

Heal First.
Going for time is going to put more strain on the body than it needs right now (IMO)

heal up fast

+1

If you have to do it, do it, but look at it as part of training for next season.

Concussions and head injuries have to be taken seriously and the problem is that a lot of their symptoms are manifested weeks after the event (esp. when the adrenaline wears off).

I hope the best and just take it easy.  Your health is worth way more than getting a PR or placing at that particular event.  You can do that next season

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » need training advice after cycling accident Rss Feed