General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength training plans for new triathletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-27 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: Strength training plans for new triathletes
I've started loosely "coaching" some college art students at one of the small private art colleges where I teach. A few of them did their first sprint triathlon in July, and a few more did their first duathlon this past weekend. I'm SUPER excited for all of them!!

Now that it's nearing the end of Minnesota's multi-sport season, many of them want to start lifting weights. I've been lifting weights for 10 years, but I've been self-taught and just do "normal," basic lifting routine.

MY QUESTION IS THIS: Do any of you know of any good resources for lifting routines for beginner triathletes? A lifting program with a good focus on the core? We're not looking to build a ton of muscle, just develop the "right" muscles. I've looked through this forum, and I didn't find anything super specific to this (although a lot of good pointers for beginners). Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

2009-09-27 5:40 PM
in reply to: #2428403

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Strength training plans for new triathletes
If you've searched the strength forum you've probably run into some of my rants about core training. Most so-called core training programs are just a bunch of ab exercises and nothing more. First of all, the core has two sides: the front (abs) and back (lower back muscles and muscles of the hips). Second, the function of the core in athletes is to stabilize the body, not do crunches. A few sets of ab-specific exercises are fine at the end of the workout, and even encouraged, but nothing is better at teaching the body to stabilize itself like training with free weights. Each workout should be nased around the following basic template, picking one exercise from each category:

A press: Bench press, overhead press, dips, or push ups. Overhead presses and push ups are a better choice because these require the core to stabilize the body.

An upper body pull: Pull ups, pulldowns, rows.

A compound lower body movement: Squats or deadlifts. These are key because they also strengthen the lower back which is part of the "core." A really good movement for folks who are afraid of the squat or can't do it properly is the goblet squat, shown here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg406rGg8b0With the weight out in front like that, the core has to work extra hard to stabilize the body.

ONE ab exercise: I prefer the ab wheel, but anything will do. If your athletes have worked the above exercises hard, there is no need for 10 different abdominal movements. That's overkill and a waste of time.

Here are some other optional but fun moves you can throw in once a week for variety. I think these are fun and if you train your athletes in a group you can make a little circuit out of this and make it a game. These moves build core as well as overall body stability.

Overhead walk: Take some light dumbbells to start with. Press and lock the dumbbells overhead. Now go for a little walk. 30-50 yards at first is enough. Great for core as well as shoulder stability.

Waiters walk: Same as the overhead walk but only carry one dumbbell overhead. Gets the obliques involved.

Farmers walk: Grab two dumbbells and hold them at your sides. Now go for a walk.

Suitcase walk: Grab a dumbbell in one hand and go for a walk. This really forces the obliques to stabilize the body.
2009-09-28 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2428654

User image

Expert
England
MikeTheBear - 2009-09-27 11:40 PM If you've searched the strength forum you've probably run into some of my rants about core training. Most so-called core training programs are just a bunch of ab exercises and nothing more. First of all, the core has two sides: the front (abs) and back (lower back muscles and muscles of the hips). Second, the function of the core in athletes is to stabilize the body, not do crunches. A few sets of ab-specific exercises are fine at the end of the workout, and even encouraged, but nothing is better at teaching the body to stabilize itself like training with free weights. Each workout should be nased around the following basic template, picking one exercise from each category: A press: Bench press, overhead press, dips, or push ups. Overhead presses and push ups are a better choice because these require the core to stabilize the body. An upper body pull: Pull ups, pulldowns, rows. A compound lower body movement: Squats or deadlifts. These are key because they also strengthen the lower back which is part of the "core." A really good movement for folks who are afraid of the squat or can't do it properly is the goblet squat, shown here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg406rGg8b0With the weight out in front like that, the core has to work extra hard to stabilize the body. ONE ab exercise: I prefer the ab wheel, but anything will do. If your athletes have worked the above exercises hard, there is no need for 10 different abdominal movements. That's overkill and a waste of time. Here are some other optional but fun moves you can throw in once a week for variety. I think these are fun and if you train your athletes in a group you can make a little circuit out of this and make it a game. These moves build core as well as overall body stability. Overhead walk: Take some light dumbbells to start with. Press and lock the dumbbells overhead. Now go for a little walk. 30-50 yards at first is enough. Great for core as well as shoulder stability. Waiters walk: Same as the overhead walk but only carry one dumbbell overhead. Gets the obliques involved. Farmers walk: Grab two dumbbells and hold them at your sides. Now go for a walk. Suitcase walk: Grab a dumbbell in one hand and go for a walk. This really forces the obliques to stabilize the body.

perfect timing as I wanted to start some weight training over winter. A few questions:

1. how many reps/sets is ideal for tri training?

2. my local gym has one of those squat machines where the bar is mounted on vertical guides. I understand the benefit of free weights for core development  so is this machine still worth doing?

3. Any other leg exercises you recommend?
2009-09-28 9:14 AM

Master
Memphis, TN
Check the strength section in Joe Friels book The Triathletes Training Bible

It has training plans for both tri and duathletes. 

It also has descriptions of how to perform the exercises and which period you are in determines the reps and gives load goals based on bodyweight.
2009-09-28 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2429395

Master
Memphis, TN
I don't like smith machine squats because it greatly reduces the involvement of stabilizers and core muscles.  If you're going to do that just do a leg press machine.
2009-09-28 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2429414

User image

Expert
England
Jtiger - 2009-09-28 3:15 PM I don't like smith machine squats because it greatly reduces the involvement of stabilizers and core muscles.  If you're going to do that just do a leg press machine.

thats the name - couldnt remember it.

Thats what I was wondering... I guess squats still have the lower back in the movement even with less core involvement?

2009-09-28 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2429542

Master
Memphis, TN
Bigpikle - 2009-09-28 10:06 AM
Jtiger - 2009-09-28 3:15 PM I don't like smith machine squats because it greatly reduces the involvement of stabilizers and core muscles.  If you're going to do that just do a leg press machine.

thats the name - couldnt remember it.

Thats what I was wondering... I guess squats still have the lower back in the movement even with less core involvement?

You will have some lower back involvement depending on your foot position but not nearly as much.  If you're worried about moving maximum weight then smith is the way to go but to gain the full benefit from arguably the king of all lifts, the squat, then do it freebar.  It's worth the pain.  Straight Leg Dead Lifts, SLDL, are great for hammies and glutes.  You can do lunges but I like to do walking lunges and of course the leg press is good for moving alot of weight. 
2009-09-28 12:42 PM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Thanks for all the pointers everyone!!! (I should say "thanks SO FAR," because I hope even more come in.)

That "goblet squat" link from youtube looks like a great training tool. I'll be showing that to my students. Thanks everyone!! Happy training!!
2009-09-28 2:03 PM

New user
Charlotte, NC USA
I can't really add much to what Mikethebear said. I agree with that 100%. I build my routine (which I don't really think of as tri-specific, just a reasonable and comprehensive approach to strength training) around squats, deadlifts, bench press, pull-ups/chins, dips, barbell rows, shrugs, and now incorporating overhead pressing since my shoulder will finally allow me to. It's a full body workout that I can do in 25 minutes three times/week. For example:

Mon - Squats, OHP
Wed - Bench, Dips, Pull-ups/Chins (rotate these with rows)
Fri - Deadlifts, Shrugs

If the goal is to build strength then you want to focus on lower reps (e.g. 3 sets, 5 reps is a good place to start).

I highly recommend the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.
2009-09-28 2:06 PM

New user
Charlotte, NC USA
Almost forgot... there are tons of youtube videos that will help you with technique. Just search for "squat technique" or the like and have at it. Look specifically for the "Squat RX" video series.
2009-09-28 4:19 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado

I would alternate lower rep days for strength with higher rep days for some muscular endurance. Low rep days do anywhere from 5-8 reps. I like doing 5 reps, but that's me. High reps is anything above 8. I've seen some coaches have their endurance clients go as high as 30 reps, but this is your call.

2. my local gym has one of those squat machines where the bar is mounted on vertical guides. I understand the benefit of free weights for core developmentĀ  so is this machine still worth doing?

If you don't have a squat rack, this is better than the leg press.

3. Any other leg exercises you recommend?

Any single leg movement. Walking lunges are my favorite, step ups are a close second. Bulgarian squats are good but can be tricky to balance. They're tough and you can get a pretty good workout without weight. For your high rep days, any single leg movement can be done with just bodyweight and you'll still get a good workout.

For two-legged movements, front squats are good but many people find the movement uncomfortable. That's why I recommended the goblet squat. Steve is right in that it is a great teaching tool - it is more comfortable than the front squat but forces a person to squat correctly because if you don't, you'll just dump the weight forward. The only way to make the movement work is if you arch your back, keep your chest up, and start the movement by pushing your hips back.

2009-09-30 8:36 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Bigpikle - 2009-09-28 10:11 AM

This is the only one I can help you with.  There is no good answer, because you are not tri training.  You are strength training.  There's no need to build "muscular endurance" in the weight room for triathlons.  You do that (well, really, you just build endurance) swimming, biking, and running.  If you also want to build strength outside of triathlon, then you can use the weightroom as you see fit.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength training plans for new triathletes Rss Feed