General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suffering the blues: post IM DNF Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-27 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Suffering the blues: post IM DNF

So two weeks ago, I had a bad day... two weeks ago was the day that I was forced to drop out of Ironman WI over 70 miles into the bike course. The year before was filled with many victories and several times of complete burnout.  Many little things went wrong and I thought I had come to grips about what had happened.  It is now two weeks later and well  I have no desire to train and I just feel sad.  I plan on trying again in 2011, but then the question goes... what do I do until then?  I did get a book on strength training for triathletes.  But when do I start pushing again... I don't want to lose all my fitness but I can't mentally get myself back out there.  Thanks for any words of wisdom!

2009-09-27 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2428920

User image

Subject: RE: Suffering the blues: post IM DNF
Been there, done that, IMAZ 2008.   

First, you can't maintain IM fitness without IM training.  So just accept that you are not going to be in IM shape.   Second, it just takes time.  Once you are ready, you'll get out the door.  It's the offseason now anyway, just take as much time as you need and you'll know when you are ready
2009-09-27 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2428973

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
ChrisM - 2009-09-27 9:29 PM Been there, done that, IMAZ 2008.   

First, you can't maintain IM fitness without IM training.  So just accept that you are not going to be in IM shape.   Second, it just takes time.  Once you are ready, you'll get out the door.  It's the offseason now anyway, just take as much time as you need and you'll know when you are ready

Agree. I'm part of the club as well. Lanzarote '99. Do something else that's fun b/c the motivation will come back, don't worry. When it does, use your dnf as fuel. Mine still eats at me 10 years later, and it gets me out the door when it counts. Trying to maintain that level of fitness when you feel like you do is a sure fire way to burn out completely and quit the sport.
2009-09-27 9:49 PM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
That sucks. I did IM IW back in 2007. I had my first DNF at my first stand-alone marathon attempt last year. A DNF just sort of eats at you... I know.

I don't know if this will help, but I was helping out at IM WI this year, and I took a lot of photos and a few videos. I have videos of the swim cut-off and the bike cut off, as well as the last official finisher and a few that didn't quite make it. I don't know if that will help or not.

Here's the link to the posts labeled with "IM WI 2009" on my blog:

http://iwannagetphysical.blogspot.com/search/label/IM%20WI%202009

Good luck! Hang in there! As they say, there's always next year...
2009-09-27 10:21 PM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Take pride in knowing that you attempted something that most people can only dream of accomplishing!

I have not tried a full IM, that is my goal for next year, but I have tried and failed at numerous other goals in life.  I'm sure your feeling down and that is normal.  It sounds like you are looking at doing an IM in 2011, that shows dedication to accomplishing your goal.  I'm sure it will be all the sweeter when they call your name as you finish in 2011. 

In time, after the pain fades, take some time to do an honest assessment of what went wrong during your IM.  For me this would include not only the day of the IM (pacing, nutrition, rest, etc.) but also the months, 3-6, leading up to the event (hours of training per week, nutrition practice, pacing, etc).  Everybody is different and requires different levels of training, intensity, duration, nutrition, etc.  Sometimes the answer in not in the day but in the days/months leading up to an event.  Take the lessons learned from this timeframe and apply it to your next IM goal and I'm sure you will do great.  To answer your question about when to push it again, it will come in time.  Set some short term goals that build toward your IM 2011.  Try to PR some sprint, oly, and HIM races in building toward your ultimate goal.  

I hope the blues fade shortly and your on your Tri journey again.   
2009-09-28 1:54 AM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Life is short, do what inspires you whether or not it's triathlons.  Being fit is important if you want a long healthy life, but there are many ways to achieve that.  If you really want to find motivation to train for another IM, find people to ride and run with, teach someone how to swim, start a triathlon group in your area -- something different.  And give yourself a break -- you trained a very long time for a race you weren't able to finish -- you need to let that go and move on or find motivation from it and improve.  You can get past this!!  I don't think you'll lose as much fitness as you fear.  Your mind and body probably need a break and will let you know when they're ready to start back again or move to something else.

2009-09-28 5:13 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

You swung for the fence and didn't knock it out of the park on the first swing - there is no shame in that.  And the fact that you are gonna try again speaks volums of your character.  I DNF'd a HIM and it tore me up but I did an Oly about 2 months later and it restored my confidence.  Find a short race, spint, local 5k, whaterver and do it.  It will do wonders for you phyche.

~Mike

2009-09-28 5:35 AM
in reply to: #2429002

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
I suffered the same thing after a marathon.  It took awhile, but I got back into the groove.  Relax, it will come.

Steve, that is a great recap of the race!  I volunteered in T1 and T2 gear bags, changing tent, and bike check in on Saturday.

Edited by Gregkl 2009-09-28 5:36 AM
2009-09-28 9:10 AM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN

Hey I am part of the club x2...IMAZ 07 and IMFL 08 both on the bike after not being able to keep anything down. This year I took the whole year off and now looking back I am mad at myself for it..... But what I have done is used both as learning experiences and will conquor the beast. But I agree take a breakl and come back when you are ready. We put so much into training for one race now just relax and re evaluate  and then come back to training!!!Or you can do like me play lots of golf!!!LOL

2009-09-28 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Thanks everyone... part of the problem is moving on from the DNF... the other part is the whole in my schedule... the hours I use to spend training for the race.  In prep for the race, I knew this whole would be coming but I also figured I would be a finisher and ready to move on to the next big goal... however right now... I have the empty hole of not finishing and now all this free time.  My old hobbies are just not cutting it and I find myself with little to do... no motivation to train... and my thoughts.  I am tired... and have been sleeping a lot... but I also work in the psych field and worry that some of this is just sounding a little depression like... granted... I just did have a major event happen... but still... deep breath... I know things will be okay and next year will bring a new opportunity to learn more and the year after I will be back to take it on again!

2009-09-28 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2429096

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
skarl - 2009-09-28 12:54 AM

Life is short, do what inspires you whether or not it's triathlons.

Take heed of the above. IM, marathons, road bike racing...anything that is competitive and requires significant effort and time comes with consequences and rewards. You need to decide what's worth what and what you have to give up in exchange. We give alot of props for IM racers due to the time and effort they put in. However, just as much props is given to (or should be given to) the time parents invest raising their children or the effort required to start a business. In other words, don't lose sight of the fact that life requires balance (and no, I'm not just talking about balancing swim/bike/run workouts) and that accomplishments can be measured in ways other than hours/minutes/seconds. You put forward a tremendous effort regardless of the outcome. You'll be back at it (whatever "it" is) soon enough...

2009-09-28 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
I bet once you take a cold WI winter off, you'll be itching to get back out there and kill some races!! "Sleep on it" over the winter. Work your way back to training as you're ready. Next year, you'll be ready to go - more than ever!
2009-09-28 1:52 PM

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
I am sorry to hear you are struggling with your dnf. I am sure it is a difficult thing to come to grips with, but you put yourself out there and sometimes Life Happens. 
A DNF could happen to anyone, no matter the training, experience etc. They way I see it, there is no worse case scenario - You were out there, trained for this event, that is more than so many others have done or can do.
I am not sure how I would be feeling either, and you are sharing it with us which is a good thing.

Get yourself in another race to boost your self-confidence back up.

2009-09-28 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2429523

User image

Champion
Alabama

crea0029 - 2009-09-28 9:58 AM

Thanks everyone... part of the problem is moving on from the DNF... the other part is the whole in my schedule... the hours I use to spend training for the race.  In prep for the race, I knew this whole would be coming but I also figured I would be a finisher and ready to move on to the next big goal... however right now... I have the empty hole of not finishing and now all this free time.  My old hobbies are just not cutting it and I find myself with little to do... no motivation to train... and my thoughts.  I am tired... and have been sleeping a lot... but I also work in the psych field and worry that some of this is just sounding a little depression like... granted... I just did have a major event happen... but still... deep breath... I know things will be okay and next year will bring a new opportunity to learn more and the year after I will be back to take it on again!

There is a very real sense of loss after an IM and especially after a DNF.  You work in the phych field so you know there are stages of grief that you will go thru.  You know them better than I do but I think there is denial, anger, sadness and finally  acceptance.

Having DNF'd, I'd add on to this with shame as a state you have to work through.  I felt like I'd failed...something I'm not accustomed to doing. 

You also know that it's not always a progression from stage to stage and you can jump aound between the stages.

My opinion - and this is for everyone, not just you - is that we (the tri world) put WAY too much emphasis on the ironman as if it is the pinnical or apex of our sport.  We rank it right up there with climbing Everest.  The problem is, once you've climb Everest, there is nothing left! 

Repeat after me:  Ironman is just a race!  I am a triathlete.  I swim.  I bike.  I run.  Sometimes I race.  I am not defined by my races.  If I never race again, I am still a triathlete and will still swin, still bike and still run.  It's who I am.

Don't know it that did you any good, but I preached myself happy!  :-)

~Mike

2009-09-28 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2429002

stevestenzel - 2009-09-27 9:49 PM That sucks. I did IM IW back in 2007. I had my first DNF at my first stand-alone marathon attempt last year. A DNF just sort of eats at you... I know. I don't know if this will help, but I was helping out at IM WI this year, and I took a lot of photos and a few videos. I have videos of the swim cut-off and the bike cut off, as well as the last official finisher and a few that didn't quite make it. I don't know if that will help or not. Here's the link to the posts labeled with "IM WI 2009" on my blog: http://iwannagetphysical.blogspot.com/search/label/IM%20WI%202009Good luck! Hang in there! As they say, there's always next year...

Thats some great footage you took there!!
2009-09-28 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2430192

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC

Repeat after me:  Sprint triathlon is just a race!  I am a triathlete.  I swim.  I bike.  I run.  Sometimes I race.  I am not defined by my races.  If I never race again, I am still a triathlete and will still swin, still bike and still run.  It's who I am.

Don't know it that did you any good, but I preached myself happy!  :-

~Mike

Mike
I changed you words to fit me.  I have completed 1 sprint race, hurt my knee 4 days before my second race and I am not sure I will be able to race my final race for the year in 13 days.  If I never race again I will still be a triathlete.

Kevin

2009-09-28 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2430586

User image

Champion
Alabama

b2673ad - 2009-09-28 5:07 PM

Repeat after me:  Sprint triathlon is just a race!  I am a triathlete.  I swim.  I bike.  I run.  Sometimes I race.  I am not defined by my races.  If I never race again, I am still a triathlete and will still swin, still bike and still run.  It's who I am.

Don't know it that did you any good, but I preached myself happy!  :-

~Mike

Mike
I changed you words to fit me.  I have completed 1 sprint race, hurt my knee 4 days before my second race and I am not sure I will be able to race my final race for the year in 13 days.  If I never race again I will still be a triathlete.

Kevin

Good job Kevin!  I totally agree!

~Mike

2009-09-28 7:04 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
crea0029 - 2009-09-27 9:58 PM

So two weeks ago, I had a bad day... two weeks ago was the day that I was forced to drop out of Ironman WI over 70 miles into the bike course. The year before was filled with many victories and several times of complete burnout.  Many little things went wrong and I thought I had come to grips about what had happened.  It is now two weeks later and well  I have no desire to train and I just feel sad.  I plan on trying again in 2011, but then the question goes... what do I do until then?  I did get a book on strength training for triathletes.  But when do I start pushing again... I don't want to lose all my fitness but I can't mentally get myself back out there.  Thanks for any words of wisdom!

Mentally you are exhausted and depressed. I finished my IM 3 months ago and I'm still not back mentally. I think I should be training, but I am finding it a chore. In a couple of weeks, the season will be officially over and I am taking a 4 week break of doing only want I want. Mind you, I took the entire month of July off post ironman. But I don't think it was enough time. I was like you worrying about losing all the fitness I worked so hard to get. But it goes anyway. It is normal. You build yourself up to that peak for your race and eventually you come down.

Let your body and mind recover. If you have no desire to train, don't do it. January 1 is always a nice date to start working on it again Maybe by then you will enjoy what you are doing instead of it being a reminder of what didn't happen 2 weeks ago. You can't control what happened in that race. It is over. 2010 is a whole new ballgame. Let yourself enjoy things that you put on the back burner during IM training. Sleep in. Watch movies. Have fun. It will be ok. Grieve for what was lost then rediscover what was fun.

Good luck and don't beat yourself up too much!
HUGS
Pam
2009-09-28 7:21 PM

User image

Master
I think that if you look at an event like an IM as a major life event, you will see that success or failure, it leaves a hole in your life.
I think there was an article in Runner's world last year about post even depression. I know it sounds corny, but it does happen.
Take the time to get yourself settled. You can't maintain the peak performance you achieved to go to an IM year round, but you can maintain fitness.
I like the idea of doing a shorter race as a confidence builder. Also, I find reading about other athletes to be inspiring. Find a biography or autobiography of an athlete and you will get motivated.
Take a break, maintain yourself and plan your goals for the next season.
Once you start looking, you will get motivated and want to get out there again.
2009-09-29 8:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chatham. Ontario

If you could afford it, take a community fund spot for next year.  That way its still something to work towards and it will keep you motivated to come back even stronger.  Quickly geting back on a horse or bike is a good solution.  Waiting until 2011 is just going to eat at you that much longer.

2015-01-07 11:39 PM

Hi. It's Jan 2015...5 months post my IM Canada DNF. I'm still not over it. I have zero motivation to do anything. I've planned a calendar with "fun" races and plan on registering for a HIM in late April...but...what if I pay $300 and dong really wanna do it?
I hate this funk.
I'm a girl who is either 100% ON or 100% OFF. I have no middle.
I think I really am going through the stages of grief and am smack dab in the midst of sadness.
I'm looking for the acceptance stage...and then moving on.
Thanks for this great thread! Hope you all have accomplished your life goals ... Not just racing...gotta remember the race is the icing!

2015-01-08 10:57 AM
in reply to: robincoolidge

User image

Regular
Virginia

Holy thread resurrections!

sounds like you are ready to move on!  good luck for a great 2015!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suffering the blues: post IM DNF Rss Feed