Premier Event Management
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 34m 46s
Overall Rank = 1008/3318
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 139/366
Pre-race routine:

Arrived to Augusta around 1PM on Saturday. We checked into the Ramada, then headed over to the Marriott. I got into the 2PM mandatory pre-race brief.

After that, dropped off my bike in the transition area, which was HUGE.

Got back to my room later that evening and laid out everything. Planned on waking up at 4:45, but never slept more than 2 hours. A strong thunderstorm hit around 10PM and it frazzled my nerves just a little bit more. "Great!", I thought to myself.
Event warmup:

PRELUDE: While this race did not go how I intended, it was awesome to be able to participate and finish. I met a lot of new ppl and found out what my body is capable of handling, even under immense stress and debilitating conditions. I also realize now how important pacing is and the fact that if you race outside of your fitness level, you're screwed.

==============================

Packed up all of my gear and left to set up transition, which was about 1.5-2 miles away. There were shuttles leaving from a designated location, so I just hopped on one. Once I got to the Transition area, looked around for a familiar face. Found one, Doug Delzell, but didn't see anyone else.

Had to jump back on a shuttle to get to the swim start. I was carrying my wetsuit, goggles, and swim cap in my left hand. In my right, my fingers where clutching a water bottle, banana, and gel.

Getting off the bus, I started talking to a guy that had flown down from Colorado. What was really cool was that I turned into his eyes. He couldn't see 2 feet in front of him! Jason, hope you had a good race!

When I got to the swim start, I noticed my goggle were missing. WTF! OMG! NOOOO! I started to backtrack, but no goggles! Panic started to creep in...I asked at the volunteer tent, swim entry, and anywhere else I could. I was about to ask the RD (who was on the mike) to announce that help was needed. I had less than 4 minutes to find some goggles...any goggles, or this race was going to start of very badly.

With 2 minutes to go, I started asking the crowd. I went through 5 or 6 groups and one guy said, "Yeah, I've got an extra set!" I wanted to hug and kiss him! Thank you!!!!

I will always carry and extra set with me from this day forth. Always.
Swim
  • 30m 4s
  • 1960 meters
  • 01m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was in the 5th wave. When it was time to go, we all went out to the dock and looked down at the water. You could see the current! A strong gust of wind blew and I commented to everyone, "Put up your sails, boys, this is going to be a fast swim."

The horn went off and I jumped in. I started to swim and it felt easy. I kept my head down and just concentrated on good form and breathing. I could not believe how easy this swim felt!

I am not a fast swimmer, so I was trying to push it a little towards the second half. I thought to myself, "Slow it down, Ron, slow it down." At this point, I felt a small cramp in my left hamstring. I attributed it to the cool water. It went away after a few seconds, but it was in the back of my mind the whole time. Every report I ever read always foreshadows later (serious) cramping with "that small cramp at the start"...I should have listened.

Wetsuit strippers were AWESOME! I ran out, passed a bunch of ppl (even a group of 3 guys that were running side by side by side). When I got to the strippers, I jumped on my back and they pulled it off quick! Thanks! Got my suit and ran on.

At the swim exit
What would you do differently?:

Not much. This was as good a swim as I could have had, me thinks. The current, wind, and wetsuit were a triple combo! :)
Transition 1
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

I took my time. HR felt a little high and I wanted to make sure I had everything.

Speed it up just a little more. I could have taken off another 30-45 seconds easily.
Bike
  • 2h 57m 44s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.90 mile/hr
Comments:

The start of the bike was great. I was really haulin' ass for the first 17 miles. I was passing alot of cyclists, and not many were passing me back. I felt FANTASTIC!

At this point, as embarrassed as I am to admit it, I got emotional. I started blubbering to myself, thinking how awesome it was to be out here doing this. I felt a great sense of pride at having the chance to be doing a Half Ironman, knowing what it took to get here.

Once that passed, I started to think about the race more...I kept looking at my HR and noticed it was too high. I needed my HR to be in the mid to high 140 range. I was pushing 160s! I knew that if my HR didn't come down a bit, I'd have trouble digesting anything going down my pie-hole.

A little after the first big hill (mile 17) I felt another small cramp, but just pushed through it. I drank an extra sip of PERPETUEM and then took a gel. I also took an extra large sip of Gatorade.

I started to tire after that, but it's b/c I felt like I wasn't getting the nutrition I needed. I started making myself slowdown more and more. My HR actually started to come down. I stopped spinning on the downhills. Lower, but not enough. On the uphills, I started to go down to low, low gears. Still too high!

At mile 32, DISASTER. My left hamstring cramped up hard. I could not believe how bad that hurt! I kept going, but grabbed my hamstring with my hand and squeezed it as hard as I could. I took another gel right away, took another big sip of PERPETUEM, and then a big sip of gatorade. It took a good 2 miles or so for it stop cramping.

At this point, a cyclist passed me and got my mind off my condition for just a few minutes. He had something black on the back of his leg and I thought, "Damn, this d00d is hardcore! He fell off the bike and cut up his leg pretty bad and he's still going!" Then I looked closer and I noticed a bulge in the back of his shorts and a stream of black fluid going down his leg! OMG, he had crapped his pants and was just going! Talk about hardcore! Cyclists would just come up behind him, then move out of the way! Damn, that was the funniest thing I saw all day!

After that, I started to try and make up lost time. I was back at it. I felt good again!

Mile 38...right hamstring cramped up...HARD. I grabbed hold of it like I did with my left earlier, and did the same thing. Took another gel, some more Perpetuem, and some gatorade. This time it took me a lot longer to recover.

I knew I was in trouble, but if I could just finish strong and get to the run, I'd still have a decent shot at a decent time.

Start out slower and not drop a KEY nutrition bottle in the 13th mile.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

As I approached the dismount line, I decided to try dismounting while still going. I have never practiced it before, but it felt like the right thing to do.

As I got close, I noticed that everyone else was stopping and unclipping. I didn't bother taking off my shoes. I just inclipped, then right before the line swung my leg over and started running.

The announcer was like, "well folks, that's how you do it, but leave the shoes off next time!" haha.

I ran over and racked my bike, took off helmet and shoes, then put on newton's. I then ran out and set my garmin.

I didn't go as fast as I should have, but it was fast enough.
Run
  • 2h 01m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

At the start of the run, I thought I was golden. That changed quickly.

I started off at an 8 min/mile pace, just to get the legs under control. They seemed fine. My plan was to start chipping away at my current pace by about 5-10 seconds per mile. HA! By the start of mile two, I was looking for a place to throw up. A few times, I almost just chucked in the road, but I surprising kept it down.

The rest of the race was me just hanging on.

I got a lift from seeing my family at mile 4.5 (or so), then Coldfire a little after, but I felt dreadful. I was walking alot, and anytime I stopped, I would have the worst cramps I have ever experienced.

At every station I started slamming Gatorade and water to try to get them to stop, but it was a losing effort.

I limped in the rest of the way and was very glad when I finally crossed the finish line. The run is my best event and I was very disappointed in how it went.

Eh, so much.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my family, then went and got fruit and pizza. The kids were hungry, so we didnt' stick around long.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Going out to hard on the bike. I also never kept my HR in check.

Event comments:

Very well organized race and one that I'll participate in on an annual basis.

Last updated: 2008-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:04 | 1960 meters | 01m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 204/366
Overall: 1714/3318
Performance: Good
Suit: XTerra Vortex Full Wetsuit
Course: Start at a dock and swim downstream with the river. Swam under 2 bridges, then you veer off to the right and run up into transition. Course may have been a little short, but the current was fast and the wind was blowing. You cannot have more favorable swim conditions, IMO.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:57:44 | 56 miles | 18.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 167/366
Overall: 1314/3318
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: 1 large loop that started off fast, but then turned into rolling hills. Very pretty scenery.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:01:53 | 13.1 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 139/366
Overall: 1008/3318
Performance: Below average
Course: Run through downtown. Two loops.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-28 1:53 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2009-09-28 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2430139

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Great report.  LOLZ! at the guy dropping a deuce on his bike.  Pics or it didn't happen.Embarassed
2009-09-28 3:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
sorry to hear about the cramps, dood.  sounds like you had a few setbacks but you still finished like a champ.  that's what its all about!
2009-09-28 6:48 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Grea race.  Somethings didn't go your way, but most of it was perfect.

2009-09-28 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2430781

User image

Elite
SE
helluva day D00d! you got to pay to own 70.3 huh? well done sticking it out
2009-09-28 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey! Great race even though it didn't go exactly as you wanted! You'll definitely kill it next time!

2009-09-28 9:55 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Great result...man, you were the picture of consistent pacing over all three legs.  You nailed the day.

2009-09-29 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great job d00d! Way to hang tough through those cramps! That is the key for long races, being able to roll with the punches and "figure it out, and find a way" to keep pushing forward. Well done!

Congrats Half Ironman!!!!
2009-09-29 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

Nice race dood!  Way to fight though all of the cramps.  Congrats on a great 1st HIM finish!

2009-09-30 7:43 AM

Thank you so much for helping me "see" where to go.  It at least made that part of the race less stressful for me.  I met my goal.. I finished. Laughing

I'm glad to hear you found a pair of goggles.

2009-09-30 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2433656

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
jhancock_00 - 2009-09-30 8:43 AM

Thank you so much for helping me "see" where to go.  It at least made that part of the race less stressful for me.  I met my goal.. I finished. Laughing

I'm glad to hear you found a pair of goggles.

Jason! Hope you found your way into transition ok! i hope you were able to find your bike ok, as well!

without my contacts, i can't see anything, either, so i know where you're coming from!

get some good training in at colorado, boy!

2009-09-30 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Great RR!

I didn't know you'd had a such a hard time of it with cramps and stomach because your time was really pretty speedy, esp. for a first half...Yeah, cramps/stomach/nutrition is the hardest part to figure out but I'll bet you crush it even harder next time!

Good going, d00d!
2009-09-30 11:57 AM

User image

Smyrna
Nice race and report.  I can't imagine the stress of trying to find goggles minutes before the start.  Way to handle that issue and the cramps in stride.  Look forward to seeing how you improve on the next one.
2009-09-30 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2434409

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Awesome job working through some major cramping.  Outstanding race.

Steve
2009-09-30 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Ugh. Cramps. Good on you for being able to pull it out, though. Way to go!

2009-10-02 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great race report and congrats on finishing the HIM! The guy with the deuce cracked me up!

2009-10-05 8:47 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Wow, way to hang tough despite terrible cramping and puking (and seeing a guy crap his pants - that's probably why you wanted to puke!).

I enjoyed reading your report - you are a good writer. What a douchebag the announcer was for saying something about leaving your shoes on. That's exactly how I dismount. I'd like to see the douchebag announcer dismount his frickin' bike.

Oh, and was that guy, Jason, blind? Did he have a race companion? I think that would be neat to be someone's race companion.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed