General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Considering doing a Half ironman in six months Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-29 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la
Subject: Considering doing a Half ironman in six months
Ive done a few sprints in the last couple of years and there is a half ironman in about six months.  Can someone tell me if six months is enough time to train for it?  And seeing that I only have sprint experience would i beable to complete such a higher task by jumping to a half ironman? or just search for something less stressful?
thanks
D

2009-09-29 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2431508

User image

Expert
NoVA
Subject: RE: Considering doing a Half ironman in six months
I think six months is doable if you follow a plan.  I went from off the couch to finally actually working out last Sept to a HIM in early May....  If you have been SBR for the last couple of years (even for a sprint) then you just need to build and most importantly is be consistent in your workouts!!
2009-09-29 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la
thanks for your input sure does help to know i can try to pull this off as long as i stick with a solid workout program.
2009-09-29 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2431527

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I am pondering my own first HIM, so I don't know about the training readiness part of the question.  But the first thing that occurred to me seeing your note is that you are in Iowa.  Will you be able to get in the necessary bike training when winter hits?  I have avoided any early season halfs because of this myself.  Good luck, whatever you decide!

2009-09-29 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la
Oh im not in Iowa..i live in Louisiana..not sure where Iowa got posted..humm its plenty warm and some what chilly down here in the winter..but biking is rather easy in the wintertime down here.
2009-09-29 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2431559

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Never mind!  I saw "la" in your profile, and didn't realize it was a lowercase "L" and not an I.    Sounds like your best weather is coming up!  Lucky.

2009-09-29 8:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la
oh gosh i hope so..we had a mild summer that only means one thing..ugly winters..lol.. im from wisconsin so i know how winters can be rough.
2009-09-29 8:52 AM

User image

Veteran
roxygirl - 2009-09-29 9:13 AM

Ive done a few sprints in the last couple of years and there is a half ironman in about six months.  Can someone tell me if six months is enough time to train for it?  And seeing that I only have sprint experience would i beable to complete such a higher task by jumping to a half ironman? or just search for something less stressful?
thanks
D

IMO, You could do a half ironman in six months. That's enough time if you train smart and have the desire.

Good luck,
JC

2009-09-29 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coldstream ,BC
Sorry to throw in a "look what I can do", but I started training in February and did my first HIM (second tri) at the beginning of August. I think if you are a reasonably fit person it should be no trouble at all. It sounds like you at least have some tri experience, so you'll probably do much better than I did. Looking back on the race I think lack of experience was my down fall. I don't think I prepared properly for the run and ended up taking a little longer than my goal time.
2009-09-29 9:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Everett, WA
The easy answer is that you can if you follow a good workout plan/routine.

You're probably in much better shape than you were when you raced Rocketchix in May, but I couldn't help noticing that you said you backstroked almost the whole way.  You'll be swimming about 5 times (2,000yds vs. 400yds) farther in an HIM.

I'm certain that you have the drive to meet this goal, but I see some challenges for you.  If you can overcome them, you will have earned my respect!

Good Luck
2009-09-29 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2431715

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
wide awake - 2009-09-29 9:35 AM Sorry to throw in a "look what I can do", but I started training in February and did my first HIM (second tri) at the beginning of August. I think if you are a reasonably fit person it should be no trouble at all. It sounds like you at least have some tri experience, so you'll probably do much better than I did. Looking back on the race I think lack of experience was my down fall. I don't think I prepared properly for the run and ended up taking a little longer than my goal time.

Similar story.  I had never even swam a lap before January and couldn't finish 50 meters without gasping for air.  I tought myself how to swim and started training for a June sprint.  Shortly after I was signing up for a HIM in August totally hooked.

It is tough to judge based on your logs and I can only go from personal experience (I know we are all built differently), but just be dedicated and you'll get through it with that amount of training.  You can do a weekly volume graph on my training since January and see that there isn't alot of slacking or lapses in training going on and that goes for 90+% of the people at that distance.  You can't fake a HIM like you can a sprint.  It brings out the truth and you need to be ready or you'll be in pain.

You might want to take a swim lesson based on your race reports (I took only 1 and it helped).  You don't want to be wasting too much effort in the water and based on your times, it is probably just technique more than physical fitness.  a couple of slight tweaks and practice can take that time down quite a bit (not that I'm a good swimmer).

As for the bike and run, it turns into a volume game and you have to assess whether or not you can handle the volume without injury.  Check the plans on BT for ballpark #s...

2009-09-29 9:49 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Roxy, you live in Louisiana but lived in Wisconsin?  and thinking about an HIM?  Have you been stalking me?  ;>.  I am in BR, moved here almost 6yrs ago from Madison and have signed up for my first HIM (NOLA in April).  I have done 5 sprints so far.  I am using the HIM plan (20 week) from BT but will modify it as by the time I start it I will have (hopefully) finished my first 1/2 mary.

Good luck!!
2009-09-29 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Simsbury, CT
Roxy I started runnig Labor day weekend for a 5k on sept 13th, started training for my sprint (Spet 26th) 5 weeks ago. I completed that and am now training for a HIM on Aug 22nd. I have a long road ahead of me because of my weight but I surprised myself with the sprint and by hitting my goal. I upgraded to Silver membership to get the better training plans and I am working currently on the Oly 56 day program before moving to the HIM training.

There is no doubt in my mind that you should go for it!! Everyone on here has told me to go for everything I asked. Asked if I should do the Sprint only 2 weeks out and everyone said yes. Asked if 11 months was enough time to train for my HIM and everyone said yes and to go for it!

So I will pass on the common theme! DO IT! get on a training program and start training for it. No doubt in my mind that you can... Plenty of time from what other people have told me witha  solid base.
2009-09-29 10:00 AM

Bluffton, SC
Go Wisconsin!! (I grew up in Appleton)

You can do it!!

Work the swim a lot. Its hard and no one really likes staring at that black line for hours, but its worth it. Spend time in the saddle to get your legs ready. And be ready to run that half marathon at the end.

I'm doing my first half in May, 70.3 Florida. I'm excited for it, but its so far away. I don't plan on doing any specific training for that event until 10 weeks out. This winter for me is all about working on my weakness, which is running. Do long rides on the weekends to maintain/ build a base. And maintain the swim with 8-15000 yards a week.

2009-09-29 10:45 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Considering doing a Half ironman in six months Rss Feed