General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to start with training nutrition? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-24 3:14 PM

User image

Expert
St. Thomas, ON
Subject: Where to start with training nutrition?

I'm starting to think that I would have a much better time of things if I started getting on the nutrition band-wagon. But I'm not sure where to start. I know that you have to try everything out in training, never do anything new in a race, what works for someone else won't necessary work for you, etc.. I don't even know where to start, though. Looking for some suggestions (not necessarily specific products, but rather types of products) for a starting point. Right now, very few of my workouts are much more than 60-90 minutes, most are 30-45 minutes, so that's the starting point for me.

2005-05-24 3:27 PM
in reply to: #162692

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Where to start with training nutrition?
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you regarding workout times.

What I did was ordered a sample back from trisports of energy gels.

http://trisports.com/samplepacks.html

They put those packs together for those of us who aren't really sure. It's a pretty good starting point.

To be honest though, I haven't really used much of the energy gels. for the workout times that you and I are in anything beyond a sports drink probably isn't that needed. I've tried accelarade and it seemed to work well although I didn't have much to compare it to.

Trisports.com also has some of their energy drink mixes available in single servings. Try some of those and see what you think. I'm having a hard time spending 40 bucks on a jug of powder that might not work and might taste like junk..

Oh.. and that brings me to another thought i've been having lately regarding these energy gels/bars/drinks ..

no matter what flavor you buy.. that flavor name is simply a mere suggestion of what you may choose to believe that it tastes like. not to say that they all taste bad.. just don't go into it thinking that its gonna taste like what it says it will.

just my $.02

2005-05-24 3:29 PM
in reply to: #162692

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shiloh Illinois
durring workouts: water, banana, apples

after workouts: skip whey or protein shakes and go for egg whites and a natrual carb like whole grain bread or oatmeal

real food can take you a really long way rather than some "products"
accelerade and endurox work good but the price tag is steep

2005-05-25 11:55 AM
in reply to: #162698

User image

Expert
St. Thomas, ON

waskelton - 2005-05-24 3:27 PMĀ ...for the workout times that you and I are in anything beyond a sports drink probably isn't that needed...

That's kind of what I was thinking. Okay, so I'll just try and have something decent food-wise pre-workout, and post-workout (eggs without yolks? what's the point ) and just stick to gatorade & water for the workouts for now. Once I start working toward Olympic distance, I may revisit it.

Oh, and that sample pack idea was a good one. We've gotten a bunch of Hammer Gels in goody bags recently, but they're all (Supposedly) raspberry, which is not a flavour I'm going anywhere near. I'll have to get a sampler. I'd like to have something that my stomach will take well that I can use on the bike during races, if necessary.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to start with training nutrition? Rss Feed