Yellow Jacket Racing
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 07m 8s
Overall Rank = 65/92
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/8
Pre-race routine:

I was up pretty early (by 6) even though I didn't need to leave until 7:15. I hadn't gotten anything ready the night before so I needed some extra time. Only thing I forgot was a gel. I didn't think I'd be doing the F1 so I didn't worry about bringing nutrition. Ate my normal raisin bran breakfast and coffee. I drank my coffee telling myself I had to do the race so Dudley would buy GS cookies from Bryn.
Decided to wear long running pants and a t-shirt under a long sleeved running shirt. Couldn't find my race belt anywhere.
Event warmup:

nada. Stood around talking to Ken for awhile. Then stood in a long line at the bathrooms. Moseyed over to the start line where I met up with Ken again

I spent most of this time frame contemplating what race I was actually going to do. I knew I wasn't in any kind of great shape. I had serious doubts I was in good enough shape to do the F1 without embarrassing myself. I wasn't looking forward to 'killing" myself. But then again, I signed up for the F1 and if I looked at it as a way to get motivated again, then I thought maybe I could do it. Plus I kind of convinced myself I wouldn't be the only one running it who had let training take a backseat to life.
Run
  • 17m 18s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Up until literally the last second I still thought I'd just do the sprint. But when I contemplated waiting another 3 minutes for it to start after the F1, I decided I just needed to get going and stop stewing about things. I said goodbye to Ken so he could start. Then before I knew it I was back up with him starting the race. Seriously talk about a wet noodle when making decisions...

This run went well. We took it pretty easy. No reason killing ourselves from the get go. I actually enjoyed this 2 mile jaunt a lot. Then we were reminded why the run course sucks. The series of at least 3 hills one right after the other that lead to the long field to transition. Talk about tough.
What would you do differently?:

Just make a decision Kameron, and stick with it for goodness sake.
Transition 1
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Quick and easy. No issues.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 33m 31s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Biking is never easy for me, but I tried to push it as much as I could. I kept waiting for Ken to catch up to me. He never did. He really does spend forever in transitions. No hurries there. :)

I'm really very pleased with this pace

goes without saying.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

This was the worst transition of them all. I missed the aisle I was in, so I went all the way around the next aisle and back down to mine. Then I ran past it a couple of spaces. duh.

Mark the spot better (or at all). I usually do by tying something to the rack. Didn't even occur to me today. Until it was too late. Oh well. Still a decent time.
Run
  • 19m 28s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the worst. I was the slowest in my AG, and that doesn't surprise me. I felt baaaaaaad. I was pretty sure I was done here. I figured I'd just go right to finish and tell them I'd switched to the SS race. My legs were shot.

After the 1st mile I began to feel my legs again. I got water at the stop, drank some, then went to throw it down to the ground. But there were NO other cups on the ground! Suddenly my conscience kicked in. I couldn't throw a cup on the ground and expect somebody to pick it up for me if nobody else had! So I freaking turned around and took it back and put it in a garbage bag. While I was doing this Ken caught up to me and we ran the rest of the way in. I was falling apart on the hilly parts at the end. Totally falling apart. I took a couple walking steps. That killed me. I never walk. As we approached the turn off for the FINISH line or transition I looked longingly at the finish, but kept on to transition. I guess I couldn't let Ken go by himself. :)

Just throw the cup on the ground. I did end up seeing a couple further on the path.
Transition 3
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Good I think.

Nothing
Bike
  • 36m 16s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.54 mile/hr
Comments:

ugh. I actually didn't freeze up like I thought I might. Luckily Ken had a gel he could spare (chocolate gel makes a lovely smile!) This probably made a huge difference in the race. Ken and I stayed together the entire time. He was behind me a lot of it. At one point I asked him if he wanted to pass me. I didn't know if he was just being nice to keep me company. He finally did kick it into gear the last 2 miles and I struggled to keep up to him. I pushed as hard as I possibly could the entire 10 miles.
Transition 4
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Good again. I kept looking back at Ken to see if he was coming. But I think he was opening up his lunch box for a snack or something. :)

Nothing.
Run
  • 17m 21s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I bumped up in the AG ranks on this run. I passed the 7th place girl the last 1/4 mile. Glad I worked harder to pass her, she really was in my AG! This run felt remarkably better than the 2nd one. I noticed right away that I felt better. Either I didn't push as hard as I could have on the bike, my body was numb to pain at this point, or my mind was in a better place since it was so close to the end. Probably a little of all 3. I still hated the last 3 hills at the end. But I wasn't tempted to walk (too much). I saw Ken at one point behind me. That kept me going too. I decided I didn't want him to catch me this time! :)
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed 2 waters and watched Ken finish. Then we went to the cabin to get some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think we all know why. But this race was soooo good for me! I am much more excited and motivated to get back to some sort of training routine now.

Event comments:

Good end of season race! Ended up being a beautiful day too. I wish the roads for the bike portion were in better condition. There are some rough spots. But that's my only complaint, and it's nothing the RD's can do about it.

Last updated: 2009-08-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:18 | 02 miles | 08m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 0/92
Performance: Average
Course: Mendon Ponds trail running. Killer 2 mile course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:33:31 | 10 miles | 17.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/8
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills in and around Mendon Ponds park
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:28 | 02 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/8
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
T3
Time: 00:56
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Biking
00:36:16 | 10 miles | 16.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/8
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T4
Time: 00:38
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Running
00:17:21 | 02 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/8
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-04 9:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Rochester Autumn Classic Duathlon

2009-10-05 4:00 AM
in reply to: #2442333

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Rochester Autumn Classic Duathlon

I was glad you decided to do the entire race, when we were leaving for the 2nd bike loop and the announcer said something about switching from F1 to SS, I figured you'd be turning around!

I need to leave the gas grill and coolers in the car, rather than having them in transition!

Nice race, I enjoyed the company! Thanks!

2009-10-05 5:58 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Must have been quite a day chasing each other around the course!  Nice job hanging in there!

Chocolate outrage and espresso love gu's are the bomb

2009-10-05 7:29 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

great job finishing!!!  That must have been tough!  Hopefully Bryn appreciates the cookie sale!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rochester Autumn Classic Duathlon Rss Feed