General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training program for both Strength & Tri endurance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-05 9:34 AM

Subject: Training program for both Strength & Tri endurance
I've just started really getting the "Tri Bug". I've done two sprints so far. I never really trained for endurance, but have been doing resistance training for a few years. In the gym, I've been doing different/creative moves to work my core, and build muscle. Keeping weight on has been more of my problem then ever trying to loose weight. I'm about 180-5.11 with a 10- body fat. 

I am really interested in doing more tri specific training, but I do not want to drop weight or strength.  I love the BT site, and will continue to explore training programs, but can anyone point out a good training program that I can review to accomplish both strength and endurance (tri) training)  

Thank you.

2009-10-05 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2442862

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-10-05 3:03 PM

Veteran
Subject: RE: Training program for both Strength & Tri endurance

Try this.

http://staff.jccc.net/ijavorek/bookdb.html

You can incorporate this into a great Tri-specific strength/endurance program and its not quite as crazy as crossfit.

Hope that helps.

2009-10-05 5:25 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
I have a "keep it simple" philosophy. I feel that 95% of the population will derive more benefit from a good, solid, basic weight training program than anything creative, fancy, or sport-specific. Here's what to do:

First, skip the machines. A machine is not necessarily safer because it can lock you into a movement pattern that isn't right for you. More importantly, the machine is supporting the weight for you. People all want "core strength" but then they get on machines. Core strength isn't determined by how many crunches you can do. Rather, it's how well you can stabilize your body, and the best way to develop this is to stand up with weights and preferably put them overhead.

Second, skip the isolation movements. Biceps curls will not improve your tri performance or overall strength.

Third, I believe that there should be a constitutional amendment saying that if a personal trainer ever suggests training on an unstable surface, a person may slap that trainer in the face, multiple times if necessary. Unless you are rehabbing from an injury to your ankle or knee under the guidance of a trained physical therapist, unstable surface training is useless.

Here is your basic template. Pick one exercise from each group below.

Legs: Squat variation, deadlift variation, or lunge variation.

Upper body push: Overhead press, bench press, or dips.

Upper body pull: Pull ups, pulldowns, or rows.

Abs: Pick one, AT MOST TWO abdominal exercise(s) of your choice. I really like the ab wheel but whatever you like is fine. Any more than two ab exercises is a waste of time. If you do squats, deadlifts, or overhead pressing, your abs will be working to stabilize your body under the load. You won't "feel" your abs working, but they are being worked.

Do between 5-8 reps for strength, 8-12 for muscle size, and anything over 15 reps will, as a general rule, build muscle endurance. Mix the rep ranges up. Don't neglect the strength range simply because you're an endurance athlete. Do at least 3 work sets. What are work sets? If you haven't lifted in a while, you won't know how much weight to use. Just start with a weight you think will be easy and keep adding weight. Once the weight feels challenging you have started your first work set. It may take 3 or more sets to get to this challenging weight, but these ramp up sets shouldn't wear you out. Also, on these ramp up sets, don't try to max out on reps but try and stick to the rep range that you're using for that day. For example, if I'm doing sets of 5 reps, I might start with just an empty bar, but I'll only do 5 reps with the empty bar. Sure, I probably could do 100 reps, but that's not the point of these ramp up sets.

Do not train to failure. The last rep of your set should be very hard but you should be able to complete it. Do not be a slave to your reps. For example, if you want to do 8 reps with a certain weight, but as you're going along you find that rep 5 was a real struggle, stop the set. Eventually, you'll get a feel for this and it will become intuitive.

That's it. Each workout will have a total of only 4 exercises, at most 5 if you choose 2 ab movements. But these are all exercises that give you the most bang for your buck.

Javorek's complexes are great, and Crossfit has some good workouts. But I wouldn't play around with any of these until you've built up a good base with the basic exercise listed above.
2009-10-05 6:32 PM

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I agree with Mike above.  The way to train for strength is to do a basic strength program.  And the one he outlined sounds like it would accomplish that.  The way to train for triathlon is to swim, bike & run.

All you need to do is follow a tri-training program that will allow you to slot in the weekly strength training you need to meet your goals.  Many tri plans have 2-3 days per week of strength training built into them, but you can simply construct your own based upon your own personal schedule and goals--allowing for more or less as the case may be.  There are some people who suggest you follow some 'tri-specific' weight program.  But, as near as I can tell, there is no such thing.
2009-10-14 12:19 PM

Master
Memphis, TN
In Joe Friel's Training Bible there is a section that goes into sport specific lifts like squat, leg press, core, etc.  and for each time of the training season it gives you load and rep goals it's pretty good to get you started. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training program for both Strength & Tri endurance Rss Feed