Bumpass, Virginia
United States
Set-Up Inc.
Total Time = 1h 08m 14s
Overall Rank = 17/317
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/37
Pre-race routine:

Woke-up had my usual ham and egg sandwich with a big glass of ice water. Had a banana and granola bar with a bottle of water on the drive to the race.
Event warmup:

Rode the bike for the first couple miles of the course and back and made sure the bike was in the correct gear for the start. Put on wetsuit and swam a couple hundred yards since I hadn't been in the water since Aug....
Swim
  • 10m 12s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got off to a good start on the swim--found some fast feet but quickly lost them as I kept getting bumped from the side...swam well to and around the first turn...settled into a decent swim until the turn back towards the swim finish---was catching the waves in front of me and they all seemed bunched up at the turn and were just stopped...finally got through that and then couldn't see much because I was looking into the sun---had horrible sighting on the last leg of this swim....
What would you do differently?:

Ummm maybe find some time/place to swim (hadn't been in the water at all since mid-Aug.......)
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Was pretty happy to be getting out of the water and already have my wetsuit pulled off my arms...then got cap/goggles off...then bike shoes/helmet on and grabbed garmin (just wanted to have the data for after the race) and started to job to the mount line while trying to put the garmin on (took off bike mount so that I could mount PT head there...)

Not bother with the garmin
Bike
  • 34m
  • 12.43 miles
  • 21.94 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good bike split even though it's not reflected in the time/ave mph (the timing mat was during the "run" to the mount line and I was still messing with strapping on my garmin so was moving very slowly---dumb!). Felt good on the bike though once riding---not killing it but pushing when I should have---only got passed twice and they both smoked by!!

Forget the garmin---only wanted for later info but PT had info I really wanted as far as the bike goes anyways!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Not too bad of a T2 even though time/rank was bad---was at the far end of the transition area so had to run the whole length with my bike...and put on socks for run---maybe someday I'll stop that for sprints but right now training for B2B is much more important then my T2 split here...

nothing for this race...
Run
  • 21m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty good run despite being overly careful on the woods/trail section of the course. It was definitely a more challenging run then last years FLAT run so a couple seconds faster run split works for me---especially since I've been doing zippy work towards running a fast 5K!!

Ummm not much
Post race
Warm down:

Drank few bottles of water and gatorade...

Event comments:

Last year this was my first ever tri so I couldn't pass it up this year even though I'm focusing on going longer this year (have B2B full in ONE month)...I'm really glad I did this race though because the weather seems to work out great and the venue is beautiful....and the stew---yeah I love it!!! And well I really can't complain about my first AG hardware in a tri---2nd in AG---I'll take it!!

Last updated: 2009-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:12 | 820 yards | 01m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/37
Overall: 11/317
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: Single loop around the penisula...with a "sand bar" around the point....
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:35
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:00 | 12.43 miles | 21.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/37
Overall: 32/317
Ave Watts: 207 Normalized Power: 217 Max Watts: 543
Wind:
Course: Nice scenic little loop...
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:08 | 03.11 miles | 06m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/37
Overall: 23/317
Course: Over the woods and through the woods to the gravel road we go till we finally hit pavement...then do it all again!!
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes