Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Demise of the dollar? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-10-06 1:27 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
Subject: Demise of the dollar?
An article in the Independent claims that Arab states, along with China, Russia, and France, have been negotiating in secret to move away from the dollar as the currency for oil trading.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/the-demise-of-the-dollar-1798175.html

How much effect would this really have on the US economy?  Seems like it's yet another good reason why we should invest heavily into green jobs and a move away from oil-based energy...

2009-10-06 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2445646

User image

Champion
PA
Subject: RE: Demise of the dollar?
Seriously, green jobs has zero effect.

What effect does this have on the U.S. economy?  See Brazil at the turn of the century or look back through history at every other fiat currency that became insolvent.  Zimbabwe, Argentina, Iceland, Hungary, Brazil, etc.

This is about our national debt and continued spending at a rediculous rate.  We are much deeper in the hole than any other country has been but hardly anyone takes it seriously.  I read a couple articles in response to your linked article, which denies that this is real but what is real is that BRIC countries and France have already discussed the removal of the dollar as the reserve currency earlier this year. 

What would happen?  First, smaller countries would begin to dump their holdings.  Then bigger Asian markets would begin dumping theirs to protect what little value is still there.  In the U.S. the price of everything would skyrocket because the value of the U.S. dollar would be so low, we would not be able to take delivery on any imports.  Eventually, we would be like post-war Germany where people would be forced to burn the dollar because it would be cheaper than trying to purchase wood, coal or gas.

When people talk about the end of the world, nuclear war, or comet strikes I laugh and just remind them that the scariest reality of our lifetime will be when (not if) the U.S. dollar collapses.

2009-10-06 2:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Barrington, IL
I agree - Green jobs are a political myth.

Outside of the huge issue of the US dollar's continued errosion - the US needs to invest in ALL forms of energy, and start using the OIL we have.

The only green jobs that are doing anything are ones that are being governmentally subsidized - not the way to go about it, it only leads to more debt.
2009-10-06 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2445766

User image

Champion
PA
Magnum27 - 2009-10-06 3:00 PM I agree - Green jobs are a political myth.

Outside of the huge issue of the US dollar's continued errosion - the US needs to invest in ALL forms of energy, and start using the OIL we have.

The only green jobs that are doing anything are ones that are being governmentally subsidized - not the way to go about it, it only leads to more debt.

Just to clarify, I am not opposed to conservation at all.  I fully support all investment with a well-defined ROI.  I just meant to point out that the real underlying problem is not directly related to energy.  The only thing preserving us right now IMO is that other countries have investments in the U.S. and they don't want to see us collapse.  (Japan and China)

If you do some Google searches, I'm sure you will find articles on the BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, China) countries having already discussed removal of the U.S. Dollar as the reserve currency.  At one point early this year, Geitner assured the Chinese that their U.S. holdings were safe and the audience actually laughed at him.  That is uncharacteristic of them but it was a serious indication of what they think of the dollar.

Also, the Chinese have been buying lots of gold.  I interpret that as a hedge against the U.S. dollar.  As the dollar declines in value, gold and silver go up.  In the 90's you could buy gold at $300 - $400 /oz, now it's over $1000/oz.  Our spending under Bush was horrific and it is even worse so far under Obama so gold and silver investors have been hoarding.
2009-10-06 2:21 PM
in reply to: #2445796

User image

I think a run on the dollar is inevitable. The question is when and how bad. There is potential for it to be awful. If people thought $4 a gallon was bad, they won't like $10 (or more).

Edited by eberulf 2009-10-06 2:26 PM
2009-10-06 2:50 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
I watch the dollar everyday and can tell you this:

The dollar is down 18 percent since reaching a high of 92.63 on Nov. 16, 2005.

That said, it reached 89.624 on March 4 of THIS YEAR.

Calm yourselves, please.

2009-10-06 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2445880

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
mr2tony - 2009-10-06 2:50 PM I watch the dollar everyday and can tell you this: The dollar is down 18 percent since reaching a high of 92.63 on Nov. 16, 2005. That said, it reached 89.624 on March 4 of THIS YEAR. Calm yourselves, please.

As bad as the dollar is, its still a safer investment...but you cannot ignore the momentum of our debt, you can't ignore the fact that folks investing in the $ are getting worried and lastly the simple fact is that  China, India and Brazil will be our economic competitors for the the next 20-50 years.    They are making plans to compete; we are making plans to...to...to...just continue to increase the deficit.

History show the rise and fall of great countries...could we be on the downside?
2009-10-06 3:23 PM
in reply to: #2445926

User image

Pro
Irvine, California

I have a question pertaining to our national debt.  Is most of it expressed in US dollars?  And if so, if the value of the dollar tanks, doesn't the value of the debt go down as well?

And if that starts to happen, do our lenders have any option to switch the debt to a different currency?  Or is it always stuck to the original currency?

(I'm a neophyte when it comes to economics and money issues...)

2009-10-06 3:35 PM

User image

Champion
PA
mr2tony - 2009-10-06 3:50 PM I watch the dollar everyday and can tell you this: The dollar is down 18 percent since reaching a high of 92.63 on Nov. 16, 2005. That said, it reached 89.624 on March 4 of THIS YEAR. Calm yourselves, please.

I'm calm because I invest in metals and have done quite well.  Lucky for me, I spent time studying economics and futures trading in the 90's.  This has been a hobby of mine for years but at times I had to step away because you start feeling like it's conspiracy theory stuff.  Next thing you know, you watch it happen in front of your eyes.  I started watching and rolling with it and it has been paying off. 

As for dollar prices, go back to July of 2001.  It was over 120 (as it was in the mid 80's.)  As Bush started pounding out the spending it dropped like a rock.  What people fail to realize or care about is that as the government spends, the dollar value drops and since we import so much stuff, we get less and less for our money.
2009-10-06 3:37 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
mr2tony - 2009-10-06 12:50 PM I watch the dollar everyday and can tell you this: The dollar is down 18 percent since reaching a high of 92.63 on Nov. 16, 2005. That said, it reached 89.624 on March 4 of THIS YEAR. Calm yourselves, please.

Dumb question... what is that value in relation to?  89.624 of what?
2009-10-06 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past
The counter viewpoint...

http://seekingalpha.com/article/165026-is-there-really-a-global-cabal-aiming-to-dump-the-dollar

In brief, this author suggests that it does not follow logically that the oil producers/BRIC countries/Japan would want to do anything to significantly alter the value of their foreign reserves and transacting in a currency other than the dollar (or basket thereof) for oil would necessarily diminish the value of their largest foreign reserves. 

Another point the author makes is that the large dollar denominated reserve holdings (particularly of China) is a function of their economic growth strategies - exporting to the US - and until they stop selling to the US and/or significantly grow their own domestic consumption, they will continue to import dollars and/or will not materially change the make-up of their foreign currency reserves. I believe that the Chinese are in favor a strong (ish) dollar and will continue to hold them and transact in them (it's in their best interests, at least for now).

This author admits that these same players might try to adjust their dollar reserves (to the extent possible without diminishing the value of what remains) by investing in other instruments, e.g. gold, but it's more nibbling around the edges than a wholesale change.

A poster above believes there will be a "run" on the dollar at some point. This may be correct, but I am of the opinion that if anything, the dollar will continue a general slide as a result of the current fiscal policies and that those countries with large US dollar reserves will fight to maintain the dollar's value relative to all other currencies or other liquid instruments - it's in their best interests.

Of course if the Chinese (others) figure out how to be the first "out the door", we could reach a point of a "step-change" in sentiment surrounding the US dollar, then oh, boy....

2009-10-06 3:51 PM
in reply to: #2446014

User image

Champion
Chicago
Tripolar - 2009-10-06 3:37 PM

mr2tony - 2009-10-06 12:50 PM I watch the dollar everyday and can tell you this: The dollar is down 18 percent since reaching a high of 92.63 on Nov. 16, 2005. That said, it reached 89.624 on March 4 of THIS YEAR. Calm yourselves, please.

Dumb question... what is that value in relation to?  89.624 of what?

Well it's complicated. It's the averge of the exchange rates between the dollar and six major currencies as computed by 500 banks every second. Really, though, it's easier to know that it's an assigned value.
2009-10-06 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2446015

User image

Champion
PA
Force - 2009-10-06 4:37 PM The counter viewpoint...

http://seekingalpha.com/article/165026-is-there-really-a-global-cabal-aiming-to-dump-the-dollar

In brief, this author suggests that it does not follow logically that the oil producers/BRIC countries/Japan would want to do anything to significantly alter the value of their foreign reserves and transacting in a currency other than the dollar (or basket thereof) for oil would necessarily diminish the value of their largest foreign reserves. 

Another point the author makes is that the large dollar denominated reserve holdings (particularly of China) is a function of their economic growth strategies - exporting to the US - and until they stop selling to the US and/or significantly grow their own domestic consumption, they will continue to import dollars and/or will not materially change the make-up of their foreign currency reserves. I believe that the Chinese are in favor a strong (ish) dollar and will continue to hold them and transact in them (it's in their best interests, at least for now).

This author admits that these same players might try to adjust their dollar reserves (to the extent possible without diminishing the value of what remains) by investing in other instruments, e.g. gold, but it's more nibbling around the edges than a wholesale change.

A poster above believes there will be a "run" on the dollar at some point. This may be correct, but I am of the opinion that if anything, the dollar will continue a general slide as a result of the current fiscal policies and that those countries with large US dollar reserves will fight to maintain the dollar's value relative to all other currencies or other liquid instruments - it's in their best interests.

Of course if the Chinese (others) figure out how to be the first "out the door", we could reach a point of a "step-change" in sentiment surrounding the US dollar, then oh, boy....

China... gold holdings surge 76% over past 6 years.  Now why would anyone do that?  To hedge oneselves against a large portion of devaluing assets? 

I have read that the U.S. has never had a "Strong dollar" policy so much as China has always retained a "Weak Yen" policy.  By doing this, they could drive exports to the U.S. and experience some serious growth.  However, now that you leeched all their is to pull out of the U.S. economy, you use your wealth to hedge a way to dump those holdings.  You now control a large country.  Just like an oil supply or any other commodity, China is now invincible against the U.S. because should there be any political arguments, China simply says, "well, how about we just stop buying your worthless bonds."  Suddenly, the U.S. which is already on an unsustainable course, has no more money to pay government employees, medicare, social security, our soon to be new healthcare, etc.  Equilibrium is all out of whack at that point. 

The biggest problem in my opinion is political suicide.  It would require massive cuts in military spending, entitlement programs, and a balanced budget amendment.  It would also require cuts in social security, medicare, etc.  I just don't see enough Americans willing to allow this to be fixed.  I see us as teens who don't understand mom and dad's money.  We just know we NEED to be cool at any cost.
2009-10-06 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2445981

User image

Master
Living in the past
Tripolar - 2009-10-06 3:23 PM

I have a question pertaining to our national debt.  Is most of it expressed in US dollars?  And if so, if the value of the dollar tanks, doesn't the value of the debt go down as well?

And if that starts to happen, do our lenders have any option to switch the debt to a different currency?  Or is it always stuck to the original currency?

The national debt is expressed in US dollars. The debt is held widely, including foreign governments all the way down to private US citizens.

It is true that as the value of the US dollar falls, the "value" of the national debt also falls, but it falls relative to other "things" - other currencies, the value of an ounce of gold, barrel of oil, etc. but not compared to the currency of the debt - the USD. Those holding the current debt are now getting paid with dollars of diminishing relative value (the element of truth in the article you cited).

Sure the holders of our debt could try to convert it to another currency/instrument, by selling the debt on the open market, but if the logic of a tanking USD holds true as in the article cited, who'd want to buy it - price would have to be dang good

If you start hearing "monetizing the national debt", you might want to perk up your ears and pay close attention. Since our national debt is denominated in USD, we could conceivably pay down the debt by just printing some more money - heck doesn't cost too much to print money - all it takes is some special paper and ink, a few printing presses and plates and off ya go....problem solved.
2009-10-06 3:59 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Yes but a weak dollar makes U.S. supplies more attractive to overseas buyers because they increase their purchasing power. So our exports of commodities and manufactured goods will increase as the dollar weakens. Simple supply and demand economics.

Edited by mr2tony 2009-10-06 4:00 PM
2009-10-06 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2446056

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
mr2tony - 2009-10-06 1:59 PM Yes but a weak dollar makes U.S. supplies more attractive to overseas buyers because they increase their purchasing power. So our exports of commodities and manufactured goods will increase as the dollar weakens. Simple supply and demand economics.

You mean we still manufacture things that foreigners want to buy???

2009-10-06 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2446053

User image

Champion
PA
Force - 2009-10-06 4:59 PM

If you start hearing "monetizing the national debt", you might want to perk up your ears and pay close attention. Since our national debt is denominated in USD, we could conceivably pay down the debt by just printing some more money - heck doesn't cost too much to print money - all it takes is some special paper and ink, a few printing presses and plates and off ya go....problem solved.

Absolutely!  We started doing that earlier in the year.  All this dumping of money into the economy is what stirs up all the inflation concerns.  It was at that point where some foreign investors had their ears perk up and demand Inflation adjustable bonds, or TIPS (Treasury Inflation Protection Securities). 
2009-10-06 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2446087

User image

Elite
Boise
Pector55 - 2009-10-06 3:10 PM
Force - 2009-10-06 4:59 PM

Absolutely!  We started doing that earlier in the year.  All this dumping of money into the economy is what stirs up all the inflation concerns.  It was at that point where some foreign investors had their ears perk up and demand Inflation adjustable bonds, or TIPS (Treasury Inflation Protection Securities). 

I maintain, as I have for awhile that inflation is so far from a concern right now that it is worthless to think about. Deflation is here right now. The CPI has been negative for the last 6 months and that is including some very sketchy data. OER has been holding steady or slightly positive in the CPI, yet every major city in the US is seeing rent prices dropping pretty hard. That sounds fairly contradictory. Personally I think the Case Schiller CPI is a much better gauge of the real price level and if you look at that it currently stands at -6%. Several companies have come out and blamed deflation for losses in their earnings the last quarter, including Kroger, Costco and Walmart. The unemployment rate is still rising, and the BLS revises its unemployment numbers in February because they have been severely under reported due to the birth/death model being atrocious, the deflationary pressures are going to increase even more.

All of this ignores another huge factor. Most people see deflation as merely a decrease in the money supply. I'd argue that for the last 20 years, credit has been in effect part of the money supply. If you look at the credit levels over the last year, credit is shrinking at an incredible rate. So if you count that as part of the money supply, then the total money supply has shrank quite a bit.

2009-10-06 4:42 PM
in reply to: #2446049

User image

Master
Living in the past
Pector55 - 2009-10-06 3:57 PM
Force - 2009-10-06 4:37 PM The counter viewpoint...

China... gold holdings surge 76% over past 6 years.  Now why would anyone do that?  To hedge oneselves against a large portion of devaluing assets? 

I have read that the U.S. has never had a "Strong dollar" policy so much as China has always retained a "Weak Yen" policy.  By doing this, they could drive exports to the U.S. and experience some serious growth.  However, now that you leeched all their is to pull out of the U.S. economy, you use your wealth to hedge a way to dump those holdings.  You now control a large country.  Just like an oil supply or any other commodity, China is now invincible against the U.S. because should there be any political arguments, China simply says, "well, how about we just stop buying your worthless bonds."  Suddenly, the U.S. which is already on an unsustainable course, has no more money to pay government employees, medicare, social security, our soon to be new healthcare, etc.  Equilibrium is all out of whack at that point. 

The biggest problem in my opinion is political suicide.  It would require massive cuts in military spending, entitlement programs, and a balanced budget amendment.  It would also require cuts in social security, medicare, etc.  I just don't see enough Americans willing to allow this to be fixed.  I see us as teens who don't understand mom and dad's money.  We just know we NEED to be cool at any cost.

I too doubt our willingness (ability) to fix this ourselves, at least in the near-term.

I don't like the idea of the US being the biggest debtor, particularly to a country with whom we have significant political differences.

If I'm reading your post correctly, I am detecting a sublety concerning existing debt and new debt. I can see your POV concerning the Chinese willingness to take on more debt and how that might allow them to exert future pressure on the US (frankly, this possibility could be a blessing insofar as this might wake us up to trying to get our fiscal house in order). To the point of existing debt, unless the Chinese can be first out the door, or in a very surreptitious way sneak out the door, they and the US dance together, unhappily, perhaps, IMO.

I wonder aloud how the internal Chinese realities play into this dynamic. Meaning there are millions of impoverished Chinese looking for opportunity. Prior the '08 meltdown, millions moved to the eastern coast in search of work in the manufacturing/exporting sector. The '08 meltdown chased many of them back home. How long can they support this many people? How long will these people settle for the meagerness of their current circumstances? The Chinese govt. heretofore has avoided a repeat of the Tiannamen uprising through the economic gains since then. What would happen if $2T of their foreign reserves went poof ? Would that have a material impact on investments they are making to improve their country? Would the general populace notice or care? If I were in the Chinese ruling class, I'd want to avoid a repeat and I could see how a debasement of a large part of the foreign reserves, potentially the result of actions they were party to, could bring about such a repeat.
2009-10-06 5:01 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
Would a balanced budget amendment prevent all borrowing?

If it does, I'd be against it.  A modest ability to borrow is often necessary for growth.  The credit crunch of the current recession is hurting businesses a lot, from what I've read, because they aren't able to get loans to fund expansion.
2009-10-06 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2446184

User image

Champion
PA
Tripolar - 2009-10-06 6:01 PM Would a balanced budget amendment prevent all borrowing?

If it does, I'd be against it.  A modest ability to borrow is often necessary for growth.  The credit crunch of the current recession is hurting businesses a lot, from what I've read, because they aren't able to get loans to fund expansion.

No, it would not prevent borrowing.  In fact, my biggest concern about a balanced budget amendment is that our congress is so illogical, they would probably declare that taxpayers need to pay 200% of their income in order to pay for their budgets instead of cutting spending.

Bottom line is that we can't simply continue to add to the national debt, despite how good the intentions may be.  This is why I have bailed on both political parties.  Both are willing to do what it takes to get votes but neither are willing to do what is right for the country. 

2009-10-07 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2446125

User image

JoshR - 2009-10-06 4:30 PM

I maintain, as I have for awhile that inflation is so far from a concern right now that it is worthless to think about. Deflation is here right now. The CPI has been negative for the last 6 months and that is including some very sketchy data. OER has been holding steady or slightly positive in the CPI, yet every major city in the US is seeing rent prices dropping pretty hard. That sounds fairly contradictory. Personally I think the Case Schiller CPI is a much better gauge of the real price level and if you look at that it currently stands at -6%. Several companies have come out and blamed deflation for losses in their earnings the last quarter, including Kroger, Costco and Walmart. The unemployment rate is still rising, and the BLS revises its unemployment numbers in February because they have been severely under reported due to the birth/death model being atrocious, the deflationary pressures are going to increase even more.

All of this ignores another huge factor. Most people see deflation as merely a decrease in the money supply. I'd argue that for the last 20 years, credit has been in effect part of the money supply. If you look at the credit levels over the last year, credit is shrinking at an incredible rate. So if you count that as part of the money supply, then the total money supply has shrank quite a bit.

I think the lack of credit over the past year is the best argument against inflation domestically. I also think international demand for the dollar will eventually go down, and when it does, the domestic money supply will be irrelevent when we try to buy a barrel of oil. The question is timing, and if I knew exactly when it would happen, I would quit my job and trade appropriately.

I think it may be sooner than we think.

2009-10-07 2:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Every nation hates the current reserve currency.  People hated the pound when it was top dog and I am sure the hated the Roman currency when it was.

Anytime other nations see weakness in the nation that holds the reserve currency, they try to take it down.  But lets keep some things in mind...

The value of a reserve currency has gone way down.  You can convert a dollar to a Yen, Pound or Frac with a couple mouse clicks.  It's not like 50 or a 100 years ago when physical possession mattered.

For us to cease being the worlds reserve currency we have to be replaced.  What currency is going to replace it?

Pound?  Nope, it's days are over.

Euro?  Too new and most of the problems the US has, Europe has even more.  Plus it's a basket of separate nations not one nation.  Once change in policy can greatly effect the Euro.

Yen?  Japan is too small.  Ditto for Brazil.  Ditto for Switzerland.

Oil nations?  Do you really think any serious person is going to invest long term in a basket created by the Oil Nations?  Nope.  Plus thier ecnomoies are too specialized and small to support this.

Yuan?  China?  You cannot even freely trade it's currency.  It needs to grow up for, lets say, 50 years before it can be a serious currency player.  The current Yuan/Dollar (Chinese policy) lock is part of the Dollar's problem.

An International Basket?  Could work if it's back by commodities (ie gold standard equivalent).  But I have one phrase... UN.  If you think the UN works well, then you might buy into an internationally managed basket.

The US Dollar is down now for obvious reasons that will continue until we elect new leadership.  But I don't think it's out.  Even if it is out, so what.  The British didn't disappear when they lost primacy.  The world just outgrew them and they continued on.
2009-10-07 3:01 PM

User image

Champion
PA
^^^^^
China Urges New Money Reserve to Replace Dollar

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/world/asia/24china.html

China Take Aim at U.S. Dollar

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123780272456212885.html

The suggestion thus far would be to create a new global currency. 

Edited by Pector55 2009-10-07 3:03 PM
2009-10-07 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
It won't work.  Who would trust a new currency unless they controlled it?  Who would trust a currency controlled by Oil Shieks, Russia and China?
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Demise of the dollar? Rss Feed  

of 2