DRC Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 28m 20s
Overall Rank = 19/162
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up @ 4:30, finished packing and left for the race site. Got there at about 5:15, got body marked and set up transition. Ate a bagel and had a Gatorade during set-up.
Event warmup:

Short run about 1hr before wave start, then about 300yd swimming about 20mins before wave start
Swim
  • 24m 28s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was pretty crowded as then sent out all males doing the olympic tri in a single wave. I started on the left side, but would have preferred starting on the right due to the current. Did good getting to the first buoy but it was still crowded and got kicked right in the goggles. Thankfully they didn't come on and I kept going. After that i got a little off course and had to cut back in. I tried using other swimmers to keep a straight line, but that just wasn't working. I tried sighting more but the swells made it hard to see the next buoy. Got off track again during swim to shore, but we have current more at our back so coming in was really fast.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, best Olympic swim ever for me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Ran into T1 at a moderate pace as I was trying not to spike my HR. My wetsuit got stuck on my heels a bit, but came off easy on the second attempt. Put my helmet on and grabbed the bike and was off.

Practice swim to bike bricks a bit more
Bike
  • 1h 08m 43s
  • 24.7 miles
  • 21.57 mile/hr
Comments:

On the way out was pushing just over 22mph with no problem as the wind was at my back. Wish I would have pushed a bit harder knowing I'd have a headwind on the way back in. But the out section was pretty uneventful. Coming back in you immediately hit a head/crosswind on the bridge. Was working hard to hold between 20-21mph. Going through one of the round abouts a car in front of me started slowing down. I thought he saw me and wouldn't do the same at the next round about, but he came to an almost complete stop and I nearly slammed into the back of him, and the cop standing there didn't seem to care one bit. Otherwise the rest of this ride was uneventful as well. I had a GU at about mile 5 and I usually would have another at about mile 20, but i decided against it.

Nothing, overall had a good ride, wanted to be around 1:08 and with the hellish headwind I was happy in the high 1:08's
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

So as I'm coming into T2 there is a guy slowing down in front of me. He stopped about 10yds in front of the dismount line and jumped right in front of my bike, even with me yelling on your left. I had to swerve a little to the left and hopped off my bike earlier then I would have liked. Racked my bike and took the helmet off. Got my right shoe on easy, then my left one gave me some problems. But otherwise it was a pretty good transition.

Nothing
Run
  • 51m 58s
  • 6.6 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

So I started out feeling pretty good. I wearing the new racing flats I had got a couple weeks ago. They are feeling nice and light on my feet. Get to the first aid station and look at my watch, 7:45, thinking okay, good first mile, then about 2mins later I see mile marker 1. I think to myself what the fuck. But I figure they are more worried about the HIM race so I'll use there mile markers to time my pace. Look at my time at there mile 5 marker. Then get to the out and back section in the park that goes through a parking lot. Thinking the aid station at the enterance is probably about 3 miles and they will just have us head back towards the finish. Well coming out of the parking lot there is the 3 mile marker for us. I look at my watch and see 29:47. I think there was no fucking way I'm running 10min/miles. Well we get back to the point I think they will send us left, but they send us right. Now I start thinking this freaking run is going to be long as hell. We finally hit the turn around at the RV park and I'm thinking either I am running extremely slow or this is the longest 10K i've ever done. There were points when I wanted to say screw it and just walk. Figured my sub 50min 10K was out of the question and no way I would make my under 2:30 for the race. So I just stopped looking at my watch and ran. I could feel myself slowing down because of fatigue. I took water at every aid station and drank half, poured half on my head. They also provided HEED on the course, which is absolutely disgusting. Hit the point were we come out of the park and figured I'd pick up the pace. Just before the final turn I looked at my watch and saw I'd still just sub 2:30. So i was happy about that, but not my run time.

After the race I was talking to the Asst RD and asked about the run course. The part that we were suppose to do a short out and back by the RV park was only suppose to be 1/10th of a mile, but they send us all the way down. They remeasured it later and said it was .4 long. When I mapped it on mapmyride.com I had it at 6.7 miles, but I'll go with there 6.6.

Nothing, ended up being good splits for the length of the course.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. Got a gatorade and headed to the food tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

This is usually a pretty good race and the fact they remeasured the run course shows they are willing to right there wrong. After the race there is really no shade unless you sit in the food tent the entire time.

Last updated: 2009-09-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:28 | 1640 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 25/162
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:08:43 | 24.7 miles | 21.57 mile/hr
Overall: 24/162
Wind: Some
Course: Pretty much a straight out and back with only 1 turn.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:58 | 06.6 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Overall: 29/162
Course: Pretty much an out and back through Fort Clincher State Park with some out and backs within the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes