General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2010-08-30 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3071150

User image

Expert
CenTex
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
timdude,
Thanks for the sign!  It made me smile 2x on the bike, both times I saw it.  Was a nice little boost on a hot day.

2010-08-30 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3070591

Veteran
PennState - 2010-08-30 6:17 AM
sdanaher - 2010-08-30 5:35 AM and? How did we all do? Hit goals? Finish?It was crazy hot. I truly was broken in the run. My marathon time was disgusting, but I finished and had a great bike and swim!Hope everyone did well!Heard some amazing stories with some people I ran with... Multiple flats, bent rims, cracked frames.... But all still out on the run. Hope those guys finished!

What do you think caused all of these issues?

Poor maintenance.
2010-08-30 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3070650

User image

Fishers, IN
Just the same suggestion that comes up every year - time trial start lined up in AG waves.  That's so you don't have people feeling they need to camp out at 3AM to hold a place in line for their family member/freind.   Realistically, if people are so concerned about making the 2:20 "after the last person goes off" swim cutoff such that they need the additional 30-45 minutes, then you really have more of a safety issue than anything else.  I wonder what percentage of those people that need the extra time actually make it through the next two cut offs.

Overall, though I got there later and was way back in line and it really went well.  The concern is that the bike will be too congested if you swim late, but most the people stayed over to the right and it wasn't too congested.  The bike course is great.
2010-08-30 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2453902

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westfield, In
Well back home and resting. congrads to everyone for getting to their goal.

For myself I wanted to be out of the in 1:10-1:20 I came out in 1:15. I felt great and was ready to go on the bike.

As I am not a biker I was aiming for 16MPH + average to get 7 hours. Felt great going out and was ahead of my average all day. Only issues came on the second lap. On the left turn before LaGrange I hit a bump then BANG aerobars broke. Never had any issues before. I had an extra tube in my jersey just in case I need it so I wrapped it around my bars as best I could and kept going. Then on two of the climbs my chain came off when I was down shifting. Still after all of that I made my time. Also sorry I received the last bottle of water form the LaGrange aid station.

6:44 with a 16.56 average.

I was so ready to run but I knew there was an issues quickly. My legs felt great my feet did not. Every step felt like I was walking on glass. A new issues for me so I walked a ton.

6:30 with a 14:53 average.

My goal was under 15 so I made that @ 14:50 but I know if my feet felt better I was Sub 14.

Congrads again to everyone.

Tim thanks for the sign. I rode by and you were standing in front of your truck. I said Awesome a BT sign. 

Edited by rwsads 2010-08-30 2:30 PM
2010-08-30 5:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville KY
Thanks about the sign, I was so busy yesterday I was only able to watch a couple hours of the race. It sure was a smoker some folks looked real bad.

I volunteered at the awards luncheon today and scored a pic with Champion Rebeckah Keat, she was very nice, and gracious, she said she enjoyed her stay in Louisville. She did say the heat was a real bear, but is real excited about Kona, and will be back to defend, she loved the course.

I hope y'all enjoyed the city, y'all comeback now hear

(rsz_1keat1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
rsz_1keat1.jpg (42KB - 41 downloads)
2010-08-30 7:54 PM

User image

Regular
Marietta, GA

Does anyone have the stats for the race?

How many started?
How many finished?
etc.

The race was a good time overall. I came in with a 15:18, so I was happy. My goal was just to finish, so I beat that with time to spare.

Did anyone else get just a bit tired of the cracks in the road on 42? Or was that just me.

2010-08-30 8:23 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

They definately need to do something about the swim start.  I will admit I got there later than I would have liked but family should not be allowed to hold spots.  Other than that the race was great. 

I honestly did not notice the heat that much and I trained in 70 degreee temps all summer long.  My best decision I think was bringing a water bottle on the run to fill with ice and water.  I would put cold water at the beginning of each aid station.  Grab something to drink/eat fill my bottle more cold water on head before leaving and then a steady stream of cold water over my body between each mile.  I never really felt dehydrated but did cramp sightly.  Finally my quads just gave out and I could not run.  I could have walked all day if my feet did not hurt.  Ended up walking 6 miles until I saw the finish shoot and then ran like I was running a cloud.

This was a great race.  Anyone who says they would never do it crazy.

2010-08-30 8:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville, KY
Don't know exactly how many started or finished, but one of our tri club members posted that there was a 15.8% dropout rate.  Aprrox 300 didn't start and over 400 didn't finish.  I don't have anything official to back that up, just a number that was posted on our tri club boards.  We had several that did the race.   Congrats to all of you that competed.  It was a hot, tough day!
2010-08-30 9:00 PM

User image

Elite

I believe those stats are right...I was what seemed to be one of few at the awards banquet.  I couldn't believe that so many people bailed on it! 

Although I noticed lots of changes from this race and doing IMLP in 2007

• no tape at the finish (apparently this started last year?)
  • no finisher plates given at the finish
  • no decorations at the awards/prerace banquets? like even the IM flags? just something. It was...stark.
  • not enough practice swims (sorry, from 4 swims to 1 is a bad dropoff)
  • no Janus video
  • tiny women's shirts? (my personal gripe. don't make me have to get one of those child sized girlie shirts. I have shoulders! I want to be able to wear my finisher shirt!)

But all in all, the volunteers were fantastic. Really. They tried their hardest, from filling water with hoses to using "reclaimed" water from the melted ice. 

So happy to survive the day. My stomach too was shutting down on the bike, the headwind didn't help on  the ride back to town either.  I had a surprisingly good swim (I love that start! just not the muddy "can't see your hand in front of your face" water) and a good for me run through mile 19, where I fell apart and got massive dizzy spells.  Walked miles 21-25 and had a good run in. 14:23.  Very happy with that, all things considering! 

Thank you Timdude! I saw your sign!  Loved it!

however my personal favorite?  "May you have the energy of 1000 chihuahuas".  Awesome!

2010-08-30 9:12 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC
Comgrats everyone!!!  I was catching at the finish and it looked like a rough, hot day out there!!!
2010-08-30 9:21 PM

On the ride home today some songs I haven't heard in a while came on the radio as if they were meant to be reminders of the run/walk yesterday.

Another One Bites The Dust (Queen)
Do you really want to hurt me (Boy George/Culture Club)
I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers "I would walk 500 miles / And I would walk 500 more "

The last one really hit home.

Any one hear any other songs that had special meaning?

2010-08-30 10:04 PM

User image

Not where I want to be...
Well I finished!! Watching Mike look at me as I was coming in and calling me a Ironman was simply amazing! I was 1:13 more than I wanted to be but its done...total time 15:13:17.
2010-08-30 10:41 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

Congrats to everyone.  Wow, what a tough day.  I started off great (1:09 swim, 1st half of bike avged 18.9) then it all fell apart.  I went by one of those aid stations without water and had to grab Perform.  I used the water to chase my Infinit mix.  Perform doesn't work so well and caused my stomach to shut down.  I cramped at mile 110 due to lack of electrolytes and one legged pedaled until it released.  On the run I began vomiting around mile 14.  It continued on mile 17 and 22.  I couldn't drink anything - chicken broth, coke, water, nothing.  I finished in 15 and change with a 7 + hour marathon.  I finally resorted to just sucking on ice.  With the exception of the missing water, I thought it was a well run event. 

2010-08-31 7:55 AM

User image

Milwaukee
Congratulations to all the finishers!

I didn't bother looking at the weather forecast all weekend, just focused on the work to be done come Sunday.

The swim was a treat.  I was ~40th in line, had a ton of room to myself, unlike Madison's mass start.
The bike was relaxing.  Still think I left some time out there on the course, but I even-splitted the whole thing, fighting through a bit of hip pain for the first half.
The run was predictable.  Exact same time as my previous IM employing a run like hell between aid stations, and walk the blue buffets to ensure max calorie consumption.

Finished ~ 20 minutes slower than my "A" goal, ended up with a pleasing "B" goal, and fortunate enough to accept a rolldown spot for Kona!  I was 7minutes back on the third place finisher and 17minutes back on the AG winner; it was a close race.

I will just say that I had an absolute blast out there.  The town of Louisville was gracious, and the volunteers, which I took every opportunity to talk to and thank, were beaming from ear to ear at every turn.  And the participants, my oh my.  I did Madison last year and I sort of kept to myself whenever I was in line, and in Ironman you find yourself in lines a lot the days before.  This year, I started conversations with everyone I found, from the bike on river road on Saturday to the folks next to me on the docks Sunday morning.  I'll just put it this way, there are some interesting stories out there.

Something I'm not so proud of,  but on the bike I got into a 'tussle' with another rider.  I was pouring water over my helmet, when from my left an older guy buzzes me shouting "next time spit on yourself!"  I quickly shout "It's water not spit!"  I get mad, catch up to him, get on his left and ask "you have a problem with my pouring water over my head?" to which he retorts "just shut up and ride."  I exclaim, "Quit drafting and you won't get wet, four bike lengths my , stay off my tail.." throw in a couple expletives and threats of reporting each other, and we part ways for 40 miles.  

During this time, I start the second loop and my adrenaline skyrockets because its so congested that I'm riding over double-yellow solid lines to pass bikers and cars alike.  I was attentive but not entirely hesitant to pass cars because they seemed to be behaving themselves; I saw no one weaving in and out like buttheads, they all appeared pretty patient.  So, I'm coming up on my newfound friend from earlier, and I pass him on the left with a little "Someone should get bib numbers for these cars, huh?"  He laughs, then looks at me and realizes its his new friend too, smirks, and says "good job man, keep it up."

I'm pretty superstitious and I didn't want any bad karma going into the run, so I felt much relieved to see him smile at me, and I never saw him again. 

Let the race reports roll in!  Congrats everyone! 
2010-08-31 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3009749

User image

Little Rock, AR
Destroyer - 2010-07-28 10:50 AM Maybe Ironman isn't your thing. Sign up for a duathlon if you dont want to swim; you'll save money.

Destroyer,

When you wrote this last month, I knew you might not have meant it as a malicious remark, but I took exception to it and wrote it on a paper for my special needs bags It helped carry me through my first Ironman.

Thanks for the inspiration and motivation.
2010-08-31 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3072434

User image

Oldham County
ryceelliott - 2010-08-30 8:54 PM

Does anyone have the stats for the race?

How many started?
How many finished?
etc.

The race was a good time overall. I came in with a 15:18, so I was happy. My goal was just to finish, so I beat that with time to spare.

Did anyone else get just a bit tired of the cracks in the road on 42? Or was that just me.

IM Louisville 2010 by the numbers: (approximates as given to us at volunteer wrap up meeting)

2100 - Finishers

1300 - First Timers

400 – DNF

2010-08-31 12:32 PM

User image

Elite

who's going back for another??

I do want to do Canada...someday.

And really, the people of Louisville are awesome.  Fantastic southern hospitality. 

2010-08-31 1:48 PM

New user

Cedar Park, Texas
My buddy and I started the swim waaaayyyy in the back and still had plenty of swimming room, so I'm a fan of the time trial start. Ended up w/ a flat on the bike ride w/ my training buddy pulling off to help me swap out my rear tire. (He's my hero, still! Thanks Brian!) I thought going through LaGrange was like how it must feel on the big bike tour races. It was awesome w/ all the bells and cheering and people and family members there to support us! If I gave a smile to a fan or volunteer, it felt like I received 5 back in return.

Great race, experience and time for my whole family. I'm now a huge fan of Trackmyathlete.com. Friends at home can feel like they are a part of your race and many folks tracked me all day long.

Thanks for all the encouragement out on the course, y'all.
2010-08-31 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3073780

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westfield, In
turtlegirl - 2010-08-31 12:32 PM

And really, the people of Louisville are awesome.  Fantastic southern hospitality. 

Hi Turtlegirl I meet you at the swim on Saturday morning.

I will be back in Louisville next year.
2010-08-31 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3074036

Master
Charlotte, NC
rwsads - 2010-08-31 2:50 PM
turtlegirl - 2010-08-31 12:32 PM

Hi Turtlegirl I meet you at the swim on Saturday morning.

I will be back in Louisville next year.

Maybe we will meet next year.  I signed up today!!!  Yikes!!!
2010-08-31 5:53 PM

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie
Somewhere out there is a photo of a first-time 46-year old Ironman guy biking into the finish and then straddling his bike two feet from the finish line.

Struggling to keep his head up. Struggling to move forward. Struggling not to pass out from dehydration.

I was that guy.

The medical folks caught me as my world went black over the finish line. The next thing I new I was in a stretcher looking at clouds with nice men hefting me along to the med tent. I drank water, got someone to retreive my endurolyte tabs from my Bento and then...50 minutes later I started running and walking my way to becoming an Ironman.

I am that Ironman.

2010-09-01 6:24 AM
in reply to: #3074624

User image

Master
Woodstock
What a great time on a tough day. The Volunteers and people of Louisville were fantastic hosts, and the crowd suppport was great. Never in my life have I seen so many ambulances and people just laying down on the side of the course. Congrats to all of you that finished!
My favorite sign (other than the one my family made) was "Chuck Norris never did an Ironman"

2010-09-01 7:42 AM

User image

Elite

F4rword - 2010-08-31 5:53 PM Somewhere out there is a photo of a first-time 46-year old Ironman guy biking into the finish and then straddling his bike two feet from the finish line.

Struggling to keep his head up. Struggling to move forward. Struggling not to pass out from dehydration.

I was that guy.

The medical folks caught me as my world went black over the finish line. The next thing I new I was in a stretcher looking at clouds with nice men hefting me along to the med tent. I drank water, got someone to retreive my endurolyte tabs from my Bento and then...50 minutes later I started running and walking my way to becoming an Ironman.

I am that Ironman.

oh! were you one of the guys that Mike Reilly mentioned as having one of the longest transitions?  He talked about two men and two women. If so, congrats!!!!!!!!  you made it!

2010-09-01 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
F4rword - 2010-08-31 6:53 PM Somewhere out there is a photo of a first-time 46-year old Ironman guy biking into the finish and then straddling his bike two feet from the finish line.

I was that guy.

I am that Ironman.

AWESOME!  You gave me chills! 

Congrats Ironman!!!
2010-09-01 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
My first and probably my last full distance, at least with Ironman.  Wanted to finish with a 13 in front of my time but was only able to get 14:51.  If you asked me last week if I would be happy with a 14:51 I would have told you it would be a failure.   I was so wrong.  Anyone that completes an full distance event in the 8:30 to 17:00 hour time frame  is a very special person and has my forever respect. 

As for a Louisville, I would move there tomorrow, loved everything about the town and area.

As far as the event itself, shame on the race directors for ever running out of water on the bike course.  I don't care who you are or what you say, that is totally unacceptable.  It is dangerous, it is unfair to the people who have planned on the water being there for their nutrition plan, it is a total failure on the race directors part and she should never be allowed to direct another event.  During the run, I would have licked water from a puddle on the road I needed it so badly, but for the aid stations to have to use water hoses to fill discarded cups from the trash and the road so we could have some liquid?  I really think someone should be refunding a part of our entry fees or giving us discounted entries into other events to make up for this fiasco.  I plan on doing more races at the half distance but it won't be an Ironman event untill this type of screw up is fixed. 

If you didn't want my opinion, you shouldn't have asked.

Now, positive again, everyone that was in the race that I got to speak to was amazing.  The Janus Athletes were great.  The individual stories that I heard about why people were doing this were out of this world.  I consider myself to be very lucky to have been a part of this race with you all.  Thanks for how you have changed my life....forever.   If I see you in the world with the MDOT tattoo, I will speak and you will know I admire you.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 70