Baltimore Runing Festival
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 57m 41s
Overall Rank = 814/3145
Age Group = M30-35
Age Group Rank = 102/325
Pre-race routine:

I picked up my packet the day before. The morning of, I had my usual cup of coffee and a gel.
Event warmup:

Not much. Stretched the legs a little and hit the porta potties. Talked with Daremo some before the start.
Run
  • 3h 57m 41s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

First, I'll go ahead and say that I apologize if any of this sounds whiny. But if you don't want to hear negatives, stop reading now!

This was a completely disastrous race for me, and I have no idea why. My goal for this race was a sub 3:10 (to qualify for Boston). It was a stretch goal, sure, but one that I thought was legitimately within reach. My PR is 3:28:52, but I've put in massive training since getting that in Baltimore a year ago. Not getting a PR for this race didn't even cross my mind. I've been running over 170 miles a month for the past few months to train for this.

As soon as I started the run, I knew something was "off." My HR was 20 to 30 bpm faster than it should have been. I started a little fast, but not too fast (right around a 7 min/mile). To put that in perspective, my half marathon PR is under 7. My HR would just not come down. At all. I slowed some, and my HR stayed right where it was. No change. I took my first walk break around mile 6. Daremo passed me at that point, and offered words of encouragement. I tried taking in fluids, which didn't help and through the course of the race started leading to stomach issues. I began walking VERY early, and ended up walking very often. Once every pace group I was interested in passed me, I knew I was done. The only reason I finished this race is because my girlfriend (ras26) was also racing, and I was going to have to wait for her to finish either way. Basically, my choice was to suffer through 26.2 miles, or wait for several hours at the finish. I chose the former. Otherwise, I would have gotten the DNF before the half was over. It was that bad.

Apparently, I looked so bad that a cop asked me at mile 24ish if I needed a medic. By the end, I really didn't care what "time" or "pace" i got, I just wanted to be done. My legs were cramping up badly, which added to the joy. When I ran my HR went up to 180-190, and when I walked my legs hurt. When I was done, I was so disgusted in the race and myself. This was my 12th marathon, and ranks 10th in my finish time (one race was really bad because I had the flu the whole week before, and another because I ran 2 marathons in an 8 day window).

What would you do differently?:

I don't know, that's what is so frustrating. My pace should have been much much better. I feel like I trained adequately. Hell, I've run 20 miles at a faster pace in 95+ degree heat, carrying my own fluid, the day after a century ride!
Post race
Warm down:

Sat for a little while, then waited for B to finish. After she was done, we sat around while I drank my complimentary beers. Free beer helped my mood, but only slightly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know, that's what is so frustrating.

Event comments:

Baltimore is a great race - my struggles were not because of the race or volunteers.

Last updated: 2009-08-17 12:00 AM
Running
03:57:41 | 26.2 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 814/325
Overall: 3145/3145
Performance: Bad
Not even worth stating, at this point. HR hit over 190
Course: Hilly course through Baltimore city.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-13 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Subject: Under Armour Baltimore Marathon

2009-10-13 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2457475

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Under Armour Baltimore Marathon
You had to be fighting something.  It doesn't sound like you are overtrained, just something else physically going on.

It was good to talk with you again at the start line and to see you briefly at the Zoo portion of the run.  Sorry it was a tough race, but we've all had our share of them.  You pushed through and still broke 4 hours even with a really tough situation, which is a pretty solid time overall!  Top 30% of a race with a horrible day is saying a lot!!
2009-10-14 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I think we all need bad marathons to remind us not to take the marathon too lightly.  It is a marathon after all. :-)  I'm glad you didn't back out.  You could always parlay your hard training into another marathon soon, like NCR.

2009-10-16 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Sorry that you had such a bad day, baby.  I know how hard you trained and hope it will pay off in a different race.  It wasn't your day.  Most of all, thanks for being so excited for me as I crossed the finish and got my PR finishing under my goal time.  It means a lot that you were able to share in my good race and give me a huge smile and kiss, despite your disappointment.   I appreciate all you do for me and will do anything I can to help you reach your BQ goal.  Love you!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Under Armour Baltimore Marathon Rss Feed