General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water walker gripe.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-27 10:38 AM

Regular
In the Country Virginia
Subject: Water walker gripe..
At the pool I swim at there are many old water walkers. So I am swimming and there are 4lanes free next to me but it is coming up on the lunch rush. These 4 older people show up talking and laughing etc..Well they EACH take a lane and proceed to walk and talk to each other. Keep in mind there is a 25/50 are with no lanes that they could use. No problem as no one is waiting..>Well then comes the lunch rush...There are 5 swimmers waiting for lanes and these people just keep going on walking talking to each other in the 4lanes...So I end up sharing a lane with 3 people. I fault the lifegaurds and pool mgmt for not asking them to move. But you would think they would have the commen decency to move..at least share 2 to a lane..

2005-05-27 10:53 AM
in reply to: #164451

User image

Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Water walker gripe..
Different strokes for different folks.  I'm sure they paid to use the pool just like everyone else and are entitled to use it as they want. 

I share a pool with senior water aerobics/walker folks.  They are pretty cool.    If the pool is crowded and you ask to share a lane with them, they'll usually let you or move into another lane with other walkers.
2005-05-27 12:20 PM
in reply to: #164475

User image

Regular
Illinois
Technikal - 2005-05-27 9:53 AM

Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure they paid to use the pool just like everyone else and are entitled to use it as they want.

Yes they are entitled to use it (and I think it's great for them that they are), but water walkers/aqua joggers/people doing water aerobics and all other non-swimmers should be together in one lane (or two if there are a lot of them). Trying to swim in a lane with a non-swimmer just leads to the swimmer having to pass every lap. And if there are two swimmers and one non-swimmer, then it's just chaos.

My pool has a designated "floater" lane for non-swimmers and then the remaining lanes are designated slow, medium, fast, and very fast. If yours doesn't, try suggesting such a system to the management. People using the wrong speed lane is one of my biggest pool pet peeves.
2005-05-27 12:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shiloh Illinois
it happens, but think of it as trainign, you get some waves
2005-05-27 1:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Montreal
If the swimmers needing the lanes outnumber the walkers, then I'd speak to one of the lifeguards about it. Perhaps they should label the walking lanes as separate from the swimming lanes (much like some pools have slow, medium, and fast lanes).

Sometimes I'm shocked by how clueless (if not just plain rude) some people in the pool are. I've had people steal my kickboards and pull buoys, I've seen people repeatedly swim straight down the middle of a crowded lane (I complained about that after getting kicked in the head), and every day there are very slow people who don't let the faster people pass at the end of a length (even though there's a line up of people behind them, and the lane is too crowded to pass during a length).

Actually those are the reasons I rarely swim at the pool that's directly across the street from my apartment.

Matthew
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water walker gripe.. Rss Feed