Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-11-23 9:36 PM
in reply to: #2465202

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: BT recipe "book"
Spaghetti Squash and ground turkey capow!

This is an awesome healthy thing to eat and it's whoa easy.

Go buy yourself a spaghetti squash, 1 lb of ground turkey, a jar of marinara sauce.

cut the squash lengthwise, brush flat edges with olive oil, place on baking sheet flat sides down, and bake for 35-50 min at 450 degrees F.  Time depends on the size of the squash...(It'll be done when soft)

Saute ground turkey in non stick pan.

Heat marinara sauce as needed.  Add some oregano/italian seasoning to your liking.

Take squash out of oven and let sit for a few minutes so they can be handled.  Using a fork, scrape out the squash (holy crap it actually looks like spaghetti). 

Mix everything together in the pot and portion out for quick meals.  So good so cheap!!

2009-12-02 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
I'll add one in, and will even say it is the easiest yet.

Fire House Soup.
  1. 1-2 lbs ground beef ( or ground turkey)
  2. 1 can each:
  3. Whole Kernel Corn
  4. Tomato Sauce
  5. Diced Tomatoes with Mild Zesty Green Chili's
  6. Black Beans
  7. Green beans ( french Cut )
  8. Pinto Beans
  9. 1 Pack Each:
  10. Hidden Valley Ranch dressing Mix
  11. Taco Seasoning Mix ( you can sub a pack of chili seasoning mix of you would like .)
  1. Brown Beef and Drain Beef.
  2. While your beef is draining open cans and dump into large pot. Empty seasoning packs (Ranch and Taco) along with the canned foods. stir / mix well. When beef is fully cooked and drained put it in the pot with the rest. Bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally and then lower to a simmer.Simmer anywhere form 15- minutes up' til a few ours.
  3. EZ /PZ but delicious
2009-12-11 7:40 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Chad is nagging me for my pie crust recipe......here it is!

3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 c cold butter, cubed
1/2 c cold lard cubed
1 egg
2 tsp vinegar
ice water

I always make this in a food processor....its idiot proof that way.
Combine flour and salt. Add butter and lard and "pulse" the mixture until you have a coarse meal with lumps the size of peas or so. Beat egg until frothy in a measuring cup. Add vinegar and enough ice water to make 2/3 of a cup.  With the motor running add the liquid to the flour, and continue to run the motor just until the dough clumps into a ball. Remove the dough and split into two halves. Shape into discs ,wrap in plastic wrap  and chill for 20 minutes or so. At this point it should be easy to roll out. You may also freeze the dough. Just make sure its wrapped up tightly . Thaw and roll out as needed. Pie at your fingertips whenever you want it! 

Edited by aquagirl 2009-12-11 7:41 PM
2009-12-16 11:51 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!

(fajita recipe.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
fajita recipe.jpg (96KB - 44 downloads)
2009-12-19 10:40 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia

Tom Kha (Thai-style Coconut-Lime Soup)
I put chicken in it, but you could use shrimp or tofu just as easily.

8 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp Thai green curry paste 
4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped 
1 2-inch piece ginger root, peeled and coarsely chopped 
1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed 
2 1/2 cups fresh cilantro (about one large bunch, leaves and stems), coarsely chopped 
1 cup rice
3/4 lb. skinned chicken breasts, cut in small cubes or strips
1 can (13-14 oz) unsweetened coconut milk 
1/2 lb. snow peas, ends trimmed off, cut into ~1/4" strips
2 tbsp Asian fish sauce 
2 tbsp lime juice (about one lime's worth
Salt to taste  

Combine stock, curry paste, garlic, ginger, coriander, and 2 cups of the cilantro in pot. Simmer, uncovered, until ginger softens, about 15 minutes. Strain, discard solids. Add rice and simmer until tender, 15-20 minutes (taste to be sure). Add chicken and poach at a a simmer until barely cooked through, 2-3 minutes. Stir in coconut milk, snow peas, and fish sauce, and simmer just long enough to turn the snow peas bright green (about 1 minute). Remove from heat. Stir in lime juice and salt. Add some of the remaining cilantro to your bowl right before you eat it. 

2009-12-25 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Putting this one up soon on my blog with some pics, but this is a big hit everywhere I have taken it and its one of those dishes that you know you can rely on to be "healthy" when there are multiple things offered especially during the holidays:

Black Bean and Corn Dip:
1 Can Black Beans - Drained and rinsed
2 Cups Frozen Kernel Corn
1 (Green) Bell Pepper - Any color will work, just found best flavor with green
6-8 Roma Tomatoes - Seeded
1 Red Onion
1/3 bunch of Cilantro
3 Cloves Garlic
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Lime

I put the corn and black beans in a strainer and run under cool water to thaw the corn and wash the beans, add to large bowl.
Seed the pepper and tomatoes, dice all veggies including onion and add to bowl.  I tend to cut all veggies the size of a the bean to keep consistency
Mince or use a garlic press adding to the bowl.
Finely chop the Cilantro and add to bowl

Add 1 T of sugar
Cut lime in half or quarters, juice 1/2 into bowl
Stir
Repeat with 1 T sugar, and other 1/2 of lime

Serve immediately with chips, also goes great on tacos or any Mexican dish.  The more time between prep and serving, it will begin to make more juice. 

I have found that leftovers of this are scarce, but make an amazing filling for an omlet.

2010-01-02 5:58 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

TASTY Lentil & Veggie Stew (no meat!)

I concocted this dish yesterday because I'm trying to make veggies and legumes the majority of my diet.  It was pretty easy to make and turned out really tasty.  I was quite excited about it so I thought I'd share it with the BT world.  I didn't measure anything, so quantities of ingredients are very approximate.

1 pound of green lentils
5 tomatoes
4 jalapenos (more or less depending on your desired level of heat)
1 bell pepper
1 onion (I used a sweet onion)
a package of mushrooms (I used shitake)
several cloves of garlic
a handful of fresh thyme
garlic salt (lots)
paprika (lots)
1 can of diced tomatoes
small bunch of cilantro
small bunch of green onions

Dice the fresh tomatoes, onion (not the green onions), garlic, jalpenos, bell pepper, mushrooms, and thyme.  Cook them over low-med heat.  Add garlic salt and paprika as desired (I used quite a bit of both) After about 10 minutes, add the can of diced tomatoes.  Let simmer for several minutes, stirring occasionally until the veggie mix is nice and soupy.

Separately, in a big pot, cook the lentils according to the instructions on the package.  Mine said to add 6-8 cups of water per package and simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes.  When finished cooking the lentils, dump out about 2/3 of the water.  Add the soupy veggie mix to the pot with the lentils and mix thoroughly.

Cut up the fresh cilantro and green onions.  Grate some cheese if you want (I used gouda because that's what I had laying around).  When you are ready to eat, add cilantro, green onions, and cheese and mix with a hot bowl of the stew.

Enjoy!!  If you end up making this (and especially if you tweak or add things to the recipe) let me know how it turns out!

2010-01-07 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2496489

User image

I just bought star anise and didnt' know other uses. This egg thing is blowing my mind!!! very cool...
2010-01-17 10:02 PM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
My favorite recipe is Chicken & Wassabi Rice-paper Rolls as it tastes unbelievably good. Here is the recipe  http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2891/chicken+wasabi+rice+paper+roll... It takes a while to make, but worth it!

Edited by Whato 2010-01-17 10:04 PM
2010-02-05 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d' Alene, ID
Energy Bar 
 I  use them often. I have thought about replacing the figs with other fruit.

2 dozen dried figs
1/3 cup honey
4 tbsp. orange juice
2 tbs. Lemon Juice
2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. conola oil
1/4 cup dark corn syrup
2 egg whites( or egg substitute)
1 cup oat bran

Preheat oven to 350 degrees f. Mix figs, honey, of and lemon juice in a food processor. Mix all other ingredients separately ( except oat  bran). combine 2 mixtures, roll into 20 balls, coat with oat bran, and bake at 350 deg for 10-15 minutes. Store finiched product in the refrigerator.
Nutrition facts per bar: 150 calories / 4 gr. Protein / 1 gr. fat / 36 gr. carbohydrate

2010-03-13 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Nana Elliot's excellent chocolate cake/cupcake

requiring:

1 1/8 cups of all purpose flour       2 squares semi-sweet chocolate
    1/4 tsp cream of tartar                  1/3 cup of butter
    pinch of salt                                   1 tsp baking soda
    2 egg yolks plus...                          2 Tbsp boiled water
     add milk to make 1 cup                 2 tsp vanilla extract

combine flour, cream of tartar, and salt in mixing bowl. Separate 2 egg yolks into measuring cup with milk and beat with a fork until mixed. Add liquid to dry ingredients and stir until batter is smooth. Melt semi-sweet chocolate, then add butter, once melted  add to batter and stir until smooth. In a cup place baking soda , then boiled water, mixing until soda is dissolved. Stir immediately into batter, then add splash of vanilla extract, stir until smooth. Pour into 8" baking pan or  cupcake paper, then bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, 15-20 for cupcakes. Cool on racks.

note: the batter's only sugar is in the semi-sweet squares, so the cupcakes/ cake must be iced/glazed/frosted

my icingrecipe is pretty basic- 2 1/2 sqs of Bakers semi sweet chocolate, melt, add 1/2 stick of butter, melt, add 1/4 cup of icing sugar, mix, splash of milk/cream, mix, taste, icing sugar, mix, taste, milk, taste, repeat etc., until done to taste, or you're so full from tasting you can't taste anymore. Frost cakes and eat.

note: I now melt chocolate in a small corningware dish on the 'keep warm' burner of the stovetop. Its great as it warms slowly and the chocolate never burns yet melts relatively quickly. Much quicker than the old pot in a pot of water method.

Enjoy! This was my grandmothers recipe and and my mothers recipe from her, both of whom were great cooks, along with some other pretty decent qualities too!  May they rest in peace. 

Yummy stuff.    

2010-04-27 12:42 PM

User image

New user

I made this last week and it was yummy!

Southwest Chicken Salad

4 cups cooked, cubed leftover or rotisserie chicken

2 cups frozen corn-thawed

1 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers

1 cup chopped red or sweet onion

1 cup minced fresh cilantro

2-3 cloves chopped garlic

1 cup chopped green chilies

1 avocado chopped

Dressing:

3 Tbsp lime juice

3 Tbsp olive oil

4 tsp honey

2 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp salt

1 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp coarsely ground pepper

In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients.  In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients, pour over chicken mixture and toss to coat.  Refrigerate until serving.  Serve as desired.

Salads:  Top salad greens with chicken salad, sprinkle with almonds

Pitas: Line pita halves with lettuce leaves; fill with chicken salad

Wraps:  Place chicken salad off center on tortillas, roll up

2010-05-19 1:04 PM

User image

New user

Not my original recipe, but I made it and it is the BEST VEGETARIAN CHILI I have ever tasted by far.  You'll never miss the meat!

Black-bean Espresso (or Chocolate) Chili
1/4 cup olive oil
3 onions, chopped
1/8 cup instant espresso powder OR 1/8 cup cocoa powder (if you can't find instant espresso)
1/8 cup chili powder
1/8 cup ground cumin
1 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
3 tablespoons honey OR 3 tablespoons Agave Nectar for the vegans out there
3 large garlic cloves, minced
6 cups cooked black beans OR mixture of beans OR 3 15-ounce cans of beans
1 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder 
      OR 1 Diced Chipotle Chili in Adobo - CAUTION - gives some HEAT
Pinch of ground cinnamon

Heat a heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the oil. Add onions and sauté for about 8 minutes.

Mix in the espresso powder, 1/8 cup chili powder and cook for 1 minute.

Add tomatoes, honey and garlic. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Add the beans, 1 cup water, salt, chipotle chili powder and cinnamon. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered and stirring often, for about 30 minutes, or until mixture thickens a bit more.

Taste and adjust salt if necessary.

2010-09-03 11:06 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Berry Oats

Very simple: boil 300ml of water, add 2/3 cup of real oats, add 1/2 cup of frozen or fresh berries. Cook until it reaches your desired texture. (I usually cook mine about 10-15 minutes.) Finish with a half a tablespoon of honey (optional).

= about 320 calories and is very filling!
2010-09-26 4:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I posted this to another thread before I saw this one, but thought I would add it here as well. This is my basic stir-fried vegetables. It's delicious, nutritious, and can easily be scaled up to have enough left-overs for three or four meals. Tofu or chicken, if desired, should be cooked first or in a separate pan.

Do a big pot of brown rice, and as it's close to getting done, chop an onion, mince a few cloves of garlic (it's nearly impossible to add too much cooked garlic -- raw is another story), mince 1/2" or 1" of ginger, and all that too a pan with a tablespoon or two of olive oil on med-high heat. Add enough red pepper to your desired spiciness level (remember the old adage -- you can always add more later, but if you add too much...). As those are cooking, chop a few carrots and add. As those are cooking, chop a zucchini and add. As those are cooking, chop up a red bell pepper and add. As those are cooking, chop up a head of broccoli and add. Generally, that timing works well and is convenient. Guage done-ness by the broccoli, which should probably cook about 5-7 minutes. If you want to add some sugar snap or snow peas, they go in about with the bell pepper. Spinach or any other green (not lettuce, but kale, bok choi, or chard would work well) goes in last. If you want to, you can fry a couple eggs at the end too -- just move all the veggies to one side, add a little more oil, drop the eggs in and kind of scramble them as they start to cook. As it's getting close, add some soy sauce (tamari is a better version of the same thing) and some sugar (or honey or maple syrup) to taste.

Obviously, the particular veggies can be played with, but the onion/garlic/ginger base and the soy sauce/sugar finish pretty much guarantees deliciousness. And your house will smell delicious too.
2010-10-18 3:14 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
So I have to share this thing my wife made which was awesome. We don't measure, so I will do some guessing.

2 cup brussel sprouts cut in half may quarters
1 cup broccoli
1 cup cauliflower
1 squash (I think she used acorn, it was a sickly sweet one, one I normally don't like)
1/4 pound bacon
Pasta (we used spirals, big ones, probably 7-8 cups fully cooked)

So, simple, fry up the bacon, use some of the grease to saute the vegetable so they are crispy and caramelized a bit. Cook the squash in the microwave until real tender. Cook the pasta. Cut up the bacon. Mix it up. Throw in some cheese if you want or not.

It is awesome. Now, honestly, my wife sauteed the vegetables in water and maybe a teaspoon of oil, I figure use the bacon grease, why not huh.

The point is that the sickly sweet squash is mixed up with all these nasty tasty vegetables and just a touch of bacon. I mean I'll eat squash even though I dislike it. I will eat brussel sprouts even though I hate them. Broccoli and cauliflower are okay, but, I mean, never a big hit. You mix it all up, it is awesome.

And, you probably don't even need the bacon, eek.

2010-11-01 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Turkey Meatloaf

1 lb ground turkey (i use jenny o)
1 can cream of mushroom
1 chicken bullion cube
1/4 cup oatmeal
2 teaspoons of soy sauce
tablespoon of crushed red pepper (optional)

1. pre heat oven 350
2. mix turkey, oats, soy sauce, 1/3 of can of cream of mushroom, crushed red pepper. once
mixed together.. make loaf and put in 9x9.. (or whatever you have available.)
3. put in oven cut 30-40 mins
4. put remaining cream of mushroom is sauce pan with chicken bullion cube. cook on med heat..
until cube has dissolved.. add water to thin the sauce.. once dissolve reduce heat.
5. optional.. i tend to eat this over rice.. cook some brown rice or jasmine rice..

once complete
put some rice on the plate, put a piece of meatloaf on top of rice.. then top with cream of mushroom sauce..

bon appetit
2010-11-01 2:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Looking for ideas with pumpkin.  Muffins, bread, bars, etc.  Any ideas???
2010-11-01 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2480242

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
scoobysdad - 2009-10-26 3:35 PM

• .. This is, indeed, the Best Chili You Will Ever Taste.

• If you make it, all I ask is that you let me know what you think!

The Best Chili You Will Ever Taste

2 teaspoons oil
    2 onions, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 lb lean ground beef
    3/4 lb beef sirloin, cubed
    1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
    1 can dark beer
    1 cup strong coffee
    2 (6oz) cans tomato paste
    1 can beef broth
    ½ cup brown sugar
    3 ½ tablespoons chili sauce
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp cocoa
    1 teasp oregano
    1 teasp cayenne
    1 teasp coriander
    1 teasp salt
    4 (15oz) cans kidney beans
    4 fresh chili peppers, chopped

1. Heat oil.

2. Cook onions, garlic and meat until brown.

3. Add tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth.

4. Add spices. Stir in 2 cans of kidney beans and peppers.

5. Reduce heat and simmer for 1.5 hours.

6. Add 2 remaining cans of kidney beans and simmer for another 30 minutes.

WOW! I made that last night, served over elbow noodles with sour cream and shredded cheese on top. BRILLIANT!!!

-Joel
    2011-03-28 8:35 PM
    in reply to: #3189004

User image

Master
    Roswell, GA
    momo - 2010-11-01 2:14 PMTurkey Meatloaf1 lb ground turkey (i use jenny o)1 can cream of mushroom1 chicken bullion cube1/4 cup oatmeal2 teaspoons of soy saucetablespoon of crushed red pepper (optional)1. pre heat oven 3502. mix turkey, oats, soy sauce, 1/3 of can of cream of mushroom, crushed red pepper. once mixed together.. make loaf and put in 9x9.. (or whatever you have available.)3. put in oven cut 30-40 mins4. put remaining cream of mushroom is sauce pan with chicken bullion cube. cook on med heat.. until cube has dissolved.. add water to thin the sauce.. once dissolve reduce heat.5. optional.. i tend to eat this over rice.. cook some brown rice or jasmine rice..once complete put some rice on the plate, put a piece of meatloaf on top of rice.. then top with cream of mushroom sauce.. bon appetit
    I made this tonight. Very easy and very good. Thx!
    2011-04-29 5:03 PM

User image

Los Angeles

This is an awesome and easy salad that I often eat for lunch.....saw it on the cooking channel...

Italian Tuna and Bean Salad

1 can of tuna packed in olive oil (be sure to use all the oil)

1 can of cannalinni beans (rinsed and drained)

diced celery as you like

salt and freshly ground pepper

extra olive oil if you like

This is great with some nice crusty bread.

2011-05-07 9:34 AM

User image

Regular
    Desert of Mexico

This is not my own.  It was found on both allrecipes.com (the salad) and cooks.com (the honey roasted almonds).  This is my go-to salad for any event and every time it's been a huge success.  Enjoy!

ALMOND STRAWBERRY SALAD

Ingredients

• 3 cups fresh baby spinach
    • 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
    • 1/4 cup sliced honey-roasted almonds (Use almonds from the recipe below.)
    • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    • 1 tablespoon honey
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries and almonds. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, honey and sugar; shake well. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately.

HONEY ROASTED ALMONDS 
    2 c. whole almonds, skins on
    1/4 c. sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 tbsp. honey
    2 tbsp. water
    2 tsp. almond or vegetable oil
    Spread the almonds in a single layer in a shallow ungreased baking pan and place in a cold oven. Bake at 350 degrees, stirring occasionally, until the internal color of nuts is tan (12 to 15 minutes). Remove from oven and set aside.Thoroughly mix the sugar and salt. Stir together the honey, water and oil in a medium size pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in the roasted almonds and continue to cook and stir until all the liquid has been absorbed by the nuts (about 5 minutes). Immediately transfer to a medium bowl and sprinkle sugar mixture over all and toss. Spread on wax paper and cool.
    2011-05-19 11:44 AM
    in reply to: #2496489

User image

Regular

Made these with TAZO Zen green tea,about a tablespoon of vanilla extract and 2 tsp of sugar. Very good. 

fire34fighter - 2009-11-03 11:48 PM Tea Eggs are a great way to spice up the average hard boiled eggs!

Any time I make eggs I turn them into tea eggs!

• 6 medium to large eggs
    • 2 tea bags of earl grey tea
    • 1/2 cup soy sauce
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • 2 teaspoons sugar
    • 4 pieces star anise
    • 1 pinch of pepper

• Put eggs in a medium-sized pot with enough water to cover the eggs.
    • Bring water to boil, then lower heat to simmer for 4 minutes.
    • Remove eggs from heat and allow them to cool(you can put them in an ice bath to speed this up.
    • Take the back of a knife or spoon and crack eggs evenly all around.
    • Return eggs to the pot and add the rest of the ingredients.
    • Bring liquid to boil again, then simmer on very low heat for 1 to 4 hours(longer = more color/flavor), adding water if level gets too low.
    • emove from heat, cool, peel shells and you're done!
    2011-08-08 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran

My breakfast, take a look.

Oats, Milk & Cocoa

http://lk-training.com/?p=64

P.S.  too many pictures to add here. Hope someone tries it.

LET ME KNOW. IT'S MY CREATION. Smile

2011-08-11 11:18 AM
    in reply to: #2528305

User image

Champion
    Evergreen, Colorado

jgerbodegrant - 2009-11-23 9:36 PM Spaghetti Squash and ground turkey capow!

This is an awesome healthy thing to eat and it's whoa easy.

Go buy yourself a spaghetti squash, 1 lb of ground turkey, a jar of marinara sauce.

cut the squash lengthwise, brush flat edges with olive oil, place on baking sheet flat sides down, and bake for 35-50 min at 450 degrees F.  Time depends on the size of the squash...(It'll be done when soft)

Saute ground turkey in non stick pan.

Heat marinara sauce as needed.  Add some oregano/italian seasoning to your liking.

Take squash out of oven and let sit for a few minutes so they can be handled.  Using a fork, scrape out the squash (holy crap it actually looks like spaghetti). 

Mix everything together in the pot and portion out for quick meals.  So good so cheap!!

If you'd like to make this even faster you can cook spaghetti squash in the microwave.

Stab several holes in the squash with a knife and put it in the microwave.  Microwave on high (flipping the squash over halfway) until it's soft.  Exactly how long to microwave it is a bit of a wag, but I cooked by 2-ish lb squash last night for 6' per side and that might have been a little long.  Either way 10-12' is a lot shorter than 35' in the oven!

THIS WEBSITE has a slightly different approach to the microwaving.  I might try it next time.

Edited by jldicarlo 2011-08-11 11:21 AM
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BT recipe "book" Rss Feed  

of 3