of 3

2011-09-09 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2465202

User image

Veteran
Nice South of France
Subject: RE: BT recipe "book"

Spicy pumpkin Soup. 

The contents of on pumpkin skinned, and chopped into a very large pot. 

4 Carrots, skinned and chopped into the same pot. 

1 onion peeled, NOT chopped into the same pot. 

1 tin of pure coconut milk ( not extract or waterdown stuff). a tin is between 300-500 mils. 

Crush one half of a dried pepper Sealed( they look like bird tongues) be careful not to get it in your eyes,Cool throw it into the pot. ( I think it might be halepeno peppers, but they are orange/brown, with a shiny skin, very dry and about half an inch long

Add salt and black pepper. Cook low for about an hour. 

Liquidise the whole thing and return to the heat... simmer low .  Eat it warm. Laughing

2011-09-09 7:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Nice South of France

Grab some nice stewing beef. 

Place it into a big pot and cover it in the darkest beer you can find. 

Add some garlic gloves , a half dozen peeled carrots, 

Add Salt and pepper. 

Leave it to soak overnight. 

Just before your workout, place it on the cooker under a slow constant heat. Let it cook all day. 

Boil up some potatoes, drain them. 

Add a spoon of butter and a cup of cream and mash them . 

Place them under the grill.  with a nice hole in the middle. 

Grill till the top is crispy golden. 

Take some of the liquid from the beef and fill up the hole. 

Eat! 

2012-01-30 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3189148

User image

Regular
Irvine
JPS0135 - 2010-11-01 12:17 PM

Looking for ideas with pumpkin.  Muffins, bread, bars, etc.  Any ideas???

I don't know about breads or bars but my favorite pumpkin (or butternut squash) recipe is from Michael Chiarello. Once you've made it you can serve it as a side, puree it into a soup, or my favorite thing is to mix it with rice or fill ravioli with it. Don't worry about using gray salt or toasted spice rub. It's great without it.

Ingredients

(Makes about 2 cups puree)
About 3 pounds butternut squash (preferably 1 large squash)
Gray salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup dark unsulfured molasses
2 teaspoon toasted spice rub (optional)
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Peel the squash with a vegetable peeler. Halve lengthwise, discard the seeds, then cut into 1-inch dice. Place in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.

Heat the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter ceases to foam and has turned a light brown, pull the pan off the heat and immediately add the sage, sugar, vinegar (stand back so as not to get splattered), molasses and toasted spice rub. Mix well and let simmer over medium-low heat for 1 to 2 minutes to meld the flavors.

Pour the vinegar mixture over the squash and toss well, then transfer to a heavy rimmed baking sheet or baking dish large enough to hold the squash in a single layer. Place in the oven and roast, tossing at least once, until very tender and caramelized, about 1 hour. Set aside until cool enough to handle but still warm, so the liquids are runny.

Working in batches if necessary, transfer the warm squash and all the cooking liquids to a food processor and process until smooth. Use immediately, refrigerate for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.
2012-02-02 1:20 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

After an early morning exercise...

tablespoon of olive oil, dice up an apple and sautee it in 2 tablespoons of lemonjuice, about 2 tablespoons of water, cinnamon.

While that is sauteeing, I crack 8 eggs and get just the whites, mix up  w/ salt.  By now the apple is sauteed (but I'm slow)

pour eggs over the apples and finish cooking by scrambling them.

This is almost like a apple pie...  well almost.

I do the same thing w/ tomatoes but instead of cinnamon, i use oregano and basil.

i got lots of recipes I'll post occasionally...

Like have ya'll ever grilled a ham..instead of steak, grill a ham..it is a million times better than cooked in the oven.

2012-08-28 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Just made this one up last night:

Quinoa Vegtable Pilaf type Thingy

Head of Brocoli and Cauliflower cut up into small pieces
1 onion diced
2 cloves garlic diced
2 carrots diced
1 cup of Quinoa
1 package german dry salad dressing.
1 cup shredded cheese

Saute onion, Carrot and Garlic with oil or butter in a large thick bottomed saucepan over med heat for 5-10 min.

Add two cups of water, increase heat and bring to boil. Add Quinoa and cook as per directions. Once you are ready to remove the pan from the heat to let stand stir in the other vegtables and package of dry salad dressing let stand, covered for 10-15 minutes, quinoa will fluff up and vegtables will cook.

Stir in the cheese, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve!
2012-09-19 5:48 PM

I thought I would reply here as well, I actually made a website specifically for indexing/sharing "fitness" related recipes, it automatically calculates nutritional information for you as well:

www.rippedrecipes.com

It allows you to search for recipes based on their nutritional values. 

2012-12-04 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4419354

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Not my recipe, but VERY good and really simple and quick.  I haven't tried it with fresh pasta, yet, but I'm betting that it'd be amazing, especially with a sun-dried tomato pasta.  The sauce is thick enough that pretty much any style of pasta will work well with this - round, flat, rotini, bowtie, etc...

15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta

Ingredients:
1 medium sized ripe Avocado, pitted
1/2 lemon, juiced + lemon zest to garnish
2-3 garlic cloves, to taste 
1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
~1/4 cup Fresh Basil, (probably optional)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 servings/6 oz of your choice of pasta 
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. Bring several cups of water to a boil in a medium sized pot. Add in your pasta, reduce heat to medium, and cook until Al Dente, about 8-10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing the garlic cloves, lemon juice, and olive oil into a food processor. Process until smooth. Now add in the pitted avocado, basil, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.

3. When pasta is done cooking, drain and rinse in a strainer and place pasta into a large bowl. Pour on sauce and toss until fully combined. Garnish with lemon zest and black pepper. Serve immediately. Makes 2 servings.

Please note: This dish does not reheat well due to the avocado in the sauce.

2012-12-07 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4521800

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
cgregg - 2012-12-04 4:45 PM

Not my recipe, but VERY good and really simple and quick.  I haven't tried it with fresh pasta, yet, but I'm betting that it'd be amazing, especially with a sun-dried tomato pasta.  The sauce is thick enough that pretty much any style of pasta will work well with this - round, flat, rotini, bowtie, etc...

15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta

Ingredients:
1 medium sized ripe Avocado, pitted
1/2 lemon, juiced + lemon zest to garnish
2-3 garlic cloves, to taste 
1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
~1/4 cup Fresh Basil, (probably optional)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 servings/6 oz of your choice of pasta 
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. Bring several cups of water to a boil in a medium sized pot. Add in your pasta, reduce heat to medium, and cook until Al Dente, about 8-10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing the garlic cloves, lemon juice, and olive oil into a food processor. Process until smooth. Now add in the pitted avocado, basil, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.

3. When pasta is done cooking, drain and rinse in a strainer and place pasta into a large bowl. Pour on sauce and toss until fully combined. Garnish with lemon zest and black pepper. Serve immediately. Makes 2 servings.

Please note: This dish does not reheat well due to the avocado in the sauce.

Wow that sounds amazing. thanks for posting, I am definately going to try that.

2012-12-10 3:28 PM

Crispy Roasted Potatoes

Potatoes (twice as many as you think you need), peeled and cut into chunks that look like they'll need two bites to eat them
4 glugs Olive oil (Turn over bottle of oil and pour until it goes "glug glug glug glug").  More if you're making a huge batch.
1 small palm sea salt (palm of your hand)
1 small palm pepper
2 to 4 shakes Tabasco sauce
2 glugs milk
3 big handfuls shredded cheese or cheese cubes
1 stick of butter
2 taps garlic powder (turn bottle over and tap twice)

Other ingredients as desired, like chopped shallots, diced red bell peppers, or a heap of sour cream.

Peel potatoes and cut into chunks that look like two bites worth.  Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.

Boil half a big pot of water.  Add the potatoes and cook for 6 to 8 minutes.  Potatoes should still
be bony.

Drain water from pot.  Add all other ingredients.  Put lid back on pot and shake violently.
Stir, shake again.  Stir, shake last time.

Turn potatoes out onto lightly oiled pan or baking sheet.  Bake 40-50 minutes until edges of
potatoes are browned.  Serve hot.

The idea behind this dish is that the milk/oil/spice coating will combine with the outer layer
of each potato chunk and make a thin, crispy shell, but the inside of the potato chunks will be
light and floury like a baked potato.  In the rare event of leftovers, excellent reheated in
a covered skillet for breakfast.
2012-12-10 3:29 PM

Grilled Tuna Steaks with Pineapple

1 1/2 pounds tuna steaks
1 fresh pineapple, cored and cut into spears 1 inch thck at outer edge

Marinade
2 tablespoons olive oil 
2 teaspoons minced garlic
Zest from 1 medium orange
Juice from 1 medium orange
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste

Blend liquids and spices for marinade.  Spread over tuna steaks and pineapple spears.
Cover and chill for 15 min to 2 hours.

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) or preheat broiler.

Grill or broil until tuna is just opaque in center, turning once, about 6 minutes total.  
Pineapple should be browned at thin edges.  Remove from heat and serve.  Nice with rice pilaf.
2012-12-19 5:03 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Ingredients:

Apple, walnuts, cinnamon, eggs, water, olive oil, salt and (quinoa optional)

coat frying pan w/ olive oil, dice up apple, add cinnamon to the apples, add the walnuts and a little water and start simmering.

While simmering crack eggs and take the egg whites and put in a bowl and salt and quinoa if you want.

By now the apples should be soft, add the eggs to the apple and walnuts in the frying pan and scramble them.

This is SO good!

2013-03-03 9:24 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
I have a new work snack salad. It has cured my mid afternoon snack attack with veggies , beans and Greek yogurt.
On Sunday, I cut up a huge dish of the following:
Carrots, snap peas, red bell pepper, celery, any other raw veggie you like or have that will keep cut up.. Put in giant zip lock.

Mix with large container of Greek yogurt, plain: Minced roasted garlic, diced fine cucumber, minced fresh or crushed dried Mint, minced red pepper, dash hot sauce, dash rice vinegar.

Keep separate. Each morning before work, put mixed veggies in Tupperware. Add in any delicate veggies cut fresh (tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado...), add in chick peas or other bean to taste, and add generous dallop or two of yogurt mix. Optional: Tablespoon of milled flax seeds.

2013-03-04 5:39 AM

User image

Amazing roasted eggplant/tomato soup, So tasty and hearty!!

3 or 4 meduim tomatoes, halved

1 large eggplant halved lenghthwise (remove bulk of seeds)

1 small onion halved

6 large garlic cloves peeled

1 tblsp olive oil (drizzle to preference)

1 tblspn chopped fresh or dried thyme (I just liberally sprinkle)

4 + cups of chicken broth or stock (think low salt, organic) I used Christmas turkey stock from  freezer

Oven 400 degrees, lay enough foil to create a pouch on sprayed(easy cleanup) pan cookie sheet/pan ?, inside pouch place tomatoes, eggplant, onion, garlic brush w/oil and seal up in foil baking  for 30/45 mins till soft/tender

once cool scoop meat/pulp from eggplant and place all foil pouch ingedients into blender and puree till smooth. Put in pot with chicken stock and thyme add salt/pepper to liking, bring to slow boil, reduce to simmer

If you have an immersion blender, even better mix/blend ALL ingredients in pot.

You could also play w/thickness by adding more broth or water to thin or also puree can of chickpeas for thicker. Also could sprinkl cheese before serving, crumbled goat or shaved parmesian asiago etc... 

I made mine the day before and left in covered pot in fridge and simmered on stove the next day I think it only enhanced the flavor!

So aromatic and tasty! 

2013-03-24 11:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Can you guys/girls upload some pictures along with the recipe...?
2014-03-10 7:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: ---

Edited by dloehrs 2014-03-10 7:39 AM
2014-04-21 3:30 PM
in reply to: Chaderbox

User image

I am a sucker for a good smoothie right after a long run. It isn't too heavy and if you add some flax seed or oats you get some added protein.

Green Smoothie:
1/2 - 1 cup of water
1 banana
1 orange
1 green apple
1 - 2 cups spinach
handful of ice
tbsp of flax seed/flax powder (optional)
blend on highest speed until smooth.

Green Smoothie 2:
1/2 - 1 cup of water
1 mango
1 cup fresh pineapple
1 peach
1 - 2 cups spinach
handful of ice
1/2 cups oats (optional)
blend on highest speed until smooth.

2014-11-11 6:33 AM
in reply to: spolice88

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Hot Chocolate
1 package of Nestle Hot chocolate
1 scoop of raw cocoa
1 scoop of hemp or pea protein (not whey at it will clump up when heated)
dash of nutmeg
squirt of agave nectar
handful of raw spinach
about 2 cups of soy vanilla milk

Put in a blender and blend it all together, if it is to think add more milk.

pour in a cup and put in the microwave and heat to your desired heat level

enjoy!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BT recipe "book" Rss Feed  

of 3