Bikefactory
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 20s
Overall Rank = 270/??
Age Group = Male 30-34
Age Group Rank = 35/??
Pre-race routine:

Got to the check-in area at about 430am, total darkness. By far not the first person there! Sheesh, you people get up EARLY!! Checking in was a piece of cake, got marked, got my ankle chip thingy, and set up my transition area. Went over everything a few times in my head, ate a Balance bar at about 5am and a Gu at 530.
Event warmup:

Stretching and just got into the water to get a feel for the temp... then some nervous pacing. Jen and her dog Trixie arrived a few minutes before the start which was wonderful. Moral support does wonders for you!!
Swim
  • 12m 12s
  • 400 meters
  • 03m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wow this was tough. I havent' done much real open ocean swimming, and this being on the North Shore made it even tougher. There must have been 4' swells easy out there. I got panicky a few (ok several) times just from getting hit in the face so often and swallowing so much sea water (Mmmm... plankton.) The waves just really made this hard for me and it definitely felt like a struggle just to complete it. Still, I made back alive, didn't drown, and my time was, for me, respectable I think.
What would you do differently?:

Practice swimming in rough ocean water more!! The pool just doesn't cut it - at all.
Transition 1
  • 04m 20s
Comments:

Everything went well. I was spent after the difficult swim and had to stop and just breathe for a bit. Felt like I was gonna throw up seawater! But all in all went ok - got my socks and shoes on ok, helmet, sunglasses, etc...

Hopefully once I'm a better open water swimming I won't be so exhausted in T1.. that was the primary drawback I think.
Bike
  • 34m 40s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.31 mile/hr
Comments:

1st half was tough, still sucking wind from swim and getting my bearings again. Got passed a lot, including lots of the gals who started behind us. C'est la vie. One the back stretch I felt a lot better, though, passed more people than vice versa and made a strong finish.

Not too much I don't think.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Thought this went well. Racked the bike, changed shoes easy enough, gulped a bit of H20 and that's all she wrote.

Not too much...
Run
  • 34m 26s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Only one water station at the halfway point - I could have used more due to the heat and sun. Now I know why they started the race so early!!

Anyways, my calves cramped up immediately when I started running so I just stopped and stretched them for a few seconds then kept on. My right knee started hurting (as expected) about a mile into it and just kept getting worse, no matter how unbearably slow I could jog. Almost fell a few times from sudden jolts of pain and the knee sort of buckling. Had to stop 2-3 times for quick quad/hamstring/IT band stretches which seemed to help a bit, and I managed to run the entire course without walking, which might have been stupid but sure made me happy! LOL... Thankfully, over the final 1/4 mile the thought of finishing was enough to keep the pain at bay!

Ummm - not run at all?! LOL. No, really, I just need to work on getting in slow and easy base miles. I have NEVER been a runner, and before 1 mo ago I hadn't really run in many many years. To go from that to this so quickly is clearly not my body's speed. I think in all liklihood the Tinman race in July with it's VERY hilly and hot 6 mile run is unrealistic. Rather, I should spend June-Sept working on running form and s-l-o-w-l-y building up my tolerance. Thatway the Tri in October should be a perfectly enjoyable 2nd race for me!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, sat in the shade with Jen and Trixie eating orange slices and bagels and drinking water and soda.

Oh yeah - Average HR for the whole race: 176.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm a total freaking newbie?

Event comments:

$60 for a really short race seems a bit much in my book, but it was well put together. Wish there had been more water on the run but maybe I just should have consumed more of my own on the bike.

Overall, while the swimming and running were really hard on me, I had a great time and beat even my most aggressive goal of 1:30!! I really thought it would be closer to 2 hrs, so that was a great accomplishment I think. In nary a month I've gone from a total gourmet cook and wine lover couch potato to this - who woulda thunk it?? Not me, that's for sure!! ;)

So all in all a wonderful day. As I sit at home freshly showered and writing this, my knee is hurtin' something fierce but it's most definitely that good, well-earned and full of pride pain! I know skipping Tinman is the smart decision, but I am excited to race again so waiting until October will be tough! But, as I mentioned to Jen, the only thing that would have made today more fun is just being better: more comfortable in the ocean and being able to run painfree. If holding off achieves that, it is well, well worth it.

And I forgot the @#!%'n camera!!! ARRRGH. Hopefully the event photographers found me once or twice...

Last updated: 2005-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:12 | 400 meters | 03m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/??
Overall: 0/??
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts and Tri sniglet
Course: Triangular shape starting at one point - 400m from shore out to one bouy, around that and across to another bouy, then back in.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:20
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:40 | 10 miles | 17.31 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Pretty straight and flat - 5 miles out, turnaround on a few small sidestreets, back the same way.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:26 | 03.25 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Again, straight and flat - but HOT. Lots of sun.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-28 3:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu, HI
Subject: North Shore Triathlon

2005-05-28 4:26 PM
in reply to: #164970

Elite Veteran
Subject: RE: North Shore Triathlon
Congrats on a great first tri. I think the swim would have done me in! And quit lollygagging on T2.

I don't know how many sprint tris are available for the summer there, but I think you are doing the right thing by backing off from running for a bit.
2005-05-28 4:59 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
CONGRATULATIONS..I knew you'd be WAY under 2 hours and I was right!!  Maybe take some surfing lessons to get used to the open water???  IT may help your confidence in the waves if you are used to being out there.  Great job...You still run faster than me...I hope you had a great time -SMO
2005-05-28 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Salem, MA
Rob, this ROCKS! What an amazing performance for your first tri, and on short training. True grit!

I am in full agreement with your instinct that you should not push it with the Tin Man. The 2nd tri in October sounds perfect. Do take care of that knee! It will come around with gentle treatment, I'm sure.

With your description of the joint troubles and stretching on the run, I can't believe you logged 10:30 miles or so in the last leg. You may not feel like a natural runner, but in my book that's fast -- especially since you stopped for stretching.

Great job, great inspiration, hope you had fun!
2005-05-28 6:35 PM

Veteran
Alabama
Rob~ Fabulous, just down right fabulous!! The sense of accomplishment was huge, I felt it by reading your post!! AWESOME!! I can totally relate to the waves on the swim, you did it though, you overcame fear and kept going! That is super!! Great speed on the bike!! You will continue to get better and better. Can't wait to catch the next race report!!

Congrats!

Kristi
2005-05-28 6:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma

Great job Rob!!!  Amazing this was your first tri!! Nice going on the whole thing and great report.

2005-05-29 8:25 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Great race Rob!! Your a Triathlete!!

Way to go and hang tough during a challenging swim. I hear it will get better with more practice and probably less waves.

Enjoy the afterglow of a job well done...think how things will change with more training!!

Terrific!!
2005-05-29 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Welcome to the club. YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE!!!!!!!! Now that you have that first one under your belt, things will smooth out for you with time.
2005-05-29 10:50 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

Congratulations, triathlete!!!  It sounds like a tough race for the 1st one, but you perservered.  And yes, your run time was spectacular given all the obstacles.  Hope you are going to enjoy a good gourmet meal and some lovely wine today.  Well deserved.

2005-05-29 2:24 PM

Pro
Andover
WOO HOO! Very impressive results at your first tri--well under 2 hrs.

That swim sounds like it was crazy. I would have been lookin' for my kayak.

CONGRATS and keep up the good work.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Shore Triathlon Rss Feed