Navy Trident Triathlon Club
13C / 55F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 13m 49s
Overall Rank = 12/57
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Since this was my first race I was trying to figure out exactly what I should do prior to the race so it was all a learning experience. I woke up around 6:30/7:00 and had breakfast (couple cans of Ensure) and then double checked everything in my race kit. I arrived early for my heat (had to be there by 9:30 for a 10:00 start - I arrived around 8:30). I checked in got my race kit and then racked my bike and setup my transistion area. Based on how I did in transition, I'm pretty happy with the way I set it up - all the advice that I had going in from BT played a big role. I watched some of the earlier racers for a few minutes and then Mum and Dad arrived. I talked to them for a while - and got Mum to mark my number - they didn't have anyone doing that I and can't imagine I would have done anything legible on myself. Then it was off to get changed. After getting changed I sat byself for about ten minutes and got my head into the game before the warmup.
Event warmup:

With the light rain and cool temps I didn't do a warmup on the bike or run - instead I waited until after the briefing to get in the water and do some easy laps. I went nice and easy, just getting a feel for the water and getting loose. I did 200m warmup and I felt nice and strong although the guy sharing my lane looked like he was having some trouble. Then it was the one minute call and we lined up at the wall.
Swim
  • 12m 45s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started really strong and put a couple of body lengths on the guy in my lane. After about 100m I settled in for the rest of the swim and I concentrated on everything that I have been working on in the pool since September. I lost track of the laps right away so I had no idea where I was in the swim. At about the halfway point the guy in my lane passed me and went up about half a body length for the next couple of laps. I was catching a lot of water from him and had to breath on one side. This wasn't as easy as I remembered as every two breaths seemed too quick and every four seemed too long. He continued to pull away until he had about a ten to fifteen second lead when I saw the flutterboard for last lap. I cruised down and back and got out of the pool in 12:45 - I had hoped to swim around 1:45-1:50/100m so this was a good effort and I'm really pleased.
What would you do differently?:

Work on breathing on every second or every fourth stroke to improve my ability to deal with waves. That and my flip turns are the only part of my swim that I was unhappy with.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

This was my first time dealing with transition and I think things went really well. On exiting the pool I grabbed my glasses and towel and headed outside to the bike rack. Once there I rolled my socks onto my feet (great suggestion from BT) put my helmet on, clipped on my race belt and I was away. I jogged with the bike to the mount line but almost fell with the combination of wet pavement and cleats. I stayed upright but I didn't realize that my pedals are significantly harder to mount when they are wet and you are excited!

Either practice starting with shoes already clipped in or work on clipping in in all types of weather.
Bike
  • 34m 58s
  • 17.75 kms
  • 30.46 km/hr
Comments:

At the beginning of bike I had some trouble getting clipped in - I ended up getting up to speed with my feet on the bottom of the pedals. I was passed almost immediately on the bike but once the rider was past me I got up on my pedals and followed her up the hill. Along the way due to rough pavement I had sports drink splashing all over me - something that I need to address before my next race. At the top of the hill I dropped down a gear and settled into my bars. Like everyone says, the first while on the bike is rough while your body gets used to the new sport - I had done some swim/bike bricks but with the harder effort I wasn't feeling great for the first while on the bike. The first lap on the runways I watched as everyone in my heat pulled away - although I was tempted to hammer, I reverted to my training and kept spinning, stayed aero and raced my own race. On the runways I was flying - for me - and I was really happy with my cadence and gearing. The second lap had some seriously negative thoughts as I realized I still had another lap to go and I was starting to really feel the pace in my legs. I ignored this and just kept on pedaling. I ran out of sports drink near the end of lap three just as I was heading off the course back to transition. When I checked the time I thought the course must have been short as I was way too fast for what I had predicted. With the big hill on the way back down I decided to risk taking my feet of the shoes for the transition. I have done this in training and spun out my BG before getting out of the shoes. I did, stopped before the dismount line and got off in a hurry. I was really happy with my time and speed on the bike - judging from my HR I went hard but not too hard that it killed me on the run.

Figure out a way to keep the fluid in my aero bottle and I need to practice clipping in in all types of weather. Also, my computer wasn't working so I had no idea how fast or far I had gone.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

I blazed through T2 even though I tried to go the wrong way into the bike racks. Once someone pointed me the right way I was pretty quick. Had no difficulty dismounting but getting the legs going was tough. Once at my stall I racked the bike on the wrong side and moved it over one, grabbed my shoes and hat and was off. Almost forgot to move my race number to the front.

Pay more attention to the way into T2 during the briefing.
Run
  • 23m 32s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 43s  min/km
Comments:

I felt really slow when I hit the road. I had been having some pain in my knee so I was hoping that it wouldn't show up today and it didn't. I found my cadence and although I still felt slow, I just kept at it. Near the middle of my second loop I started to fade a little but managed to keep the pace steady. About halfway through the third loop (top of the hill) I started to slow down and really had to dig deep to get the pace back up. I probably lost a few second here but I was able to find my pace again and keep going. Within the last couple hundred meters there were a couple of kids that were walking towards the finish line who decided to pace me for a little bit. This was the last bit of motivation that I needed to finish strong and hit the finish line with a sprint.

Watch my pace near the end of the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and stretched for a few minutes - anything that started to feel tight I made sure I got it stretched out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My abilities - overall I was really happy with my race - I'm not sure that there was much more speed for me to find out there. A couple of little things here and there but overall I think I raced to my potential. As a first race I am really please with both my time and my effort and think I left very little on the course. As this was not my A race for the year I think I may have the ability to shave a little time off for my final sprint in July.

Event comments:

I would like to thank the organizers and voluteers for the time and effort they put into this race. It was a great introduction to the sport.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-01-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:45 | 750 meters | 01m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 13/57
Performance: Good
Avg HR - 168
Suit: Trisuit
Course: 25m Pool Swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:43
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:34:58 | 17.75 kms | 30.46 km/hr
Overall: 18/57
Avg HR 171
Wind: Some
Course: The course was a short uphill followed by a mainly flat road (in pretty rough shape) to the airfield for three laps of the runways (in great shape). Then it was back to the transition area on the same road.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:32 | 05 kms | 04m 43s  min/km
Overall: 13/57
Performance: Average
Avg HR - 171
Course: This was a three loop course through the PMQs in Shearwater. There was a slight uphill near the middle of the loop and a water station around the halfway point.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-29 2:55 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: Navy Trident Triathlon

2005-05-29 3:23 PM
in reply to: #165204

Elite Veteran
Subject: RE: Navy Trident Triathlon
What a great first race! Your times were pretty darn fast. Congrats, triathlete.
2005-05-29 3:56 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Great job, TRIATHLETE!
2005-05-29 5:02 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Congratulations on your first race. Way to surpass that goal time of finishing!

Pam
2005-05-29 5:29 PM
in reply to: #165235

User image

Elite
San Diego
Shane,
Congrats on a great race. Nice report too. I knew you could destroy your time. Rlex and enjoy your accomplishment...then hit it hard and heavy
Take care
Tom
2005-05-29 5:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
congrats... I hope I can do as well during my my first on June 12thh....  my swim is OW instead of the pool however...  

2005-05-29 6:05 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

CONGRATULATIONS, TRIATHLETE!!

That was a speedy race Shane! Good stuff!

For an instant there, I thought "was the swim outside???" Yikes!! Glad it wasn't!!

Jen

2005-05-31 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Great race Shane!! Looks like all of that training has really paid off for you. Keep up the great work!

-Frank
2005-05-31 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Awesome race! Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Navy Trident Triathlon Rss Feed