General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2010-04-17 6:30 AM
in reply to: #2477192

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread
Aviation weather site that I like to use, shows winds out of the NNE at 4mph at start time.

Aviation Weather Forecast at New Orleans Intl, Louisiana

Station: KMSY    North: 29.98    West: -90.25    Timezone: Central Daylight Saving Time    UTC: -5    Model: Aviation (GFS MOS Guidance)
DATE<script type="text/javascript">// (cmonth,cdate,ndays);// End// ]]>SATURDAY
 APRIL 17  
<script type="text/javascript">// (cmonth,cdate,ndays);// End// ]]>SUNDAY
 APRIL 18  
<script type="text/javascript">// (cmonth,cdate,ndays);// End// ]]>MONDAY
 APRIL 19  
HOUR7:00 AM10:00 AM1:00 PM4:00 PM7:00 PM10:00 PM1:00 AM4:00 AM7:00 AM10:00 AM1:00 PM4:00 PM7:00 PM10:00 PM1:00 AM4:00 AM7:00 AM10:00 AM1:00 PM7:00 PM1:00 AM
SKYMostly Clear
Aviation Weather
Mostly Clear
Aviation Weather
Partly Cloudy
Aviation Weather
Partly Cloudy
Aviation Weather
Partly Cloudy
Aviation Weather
Clear
Aviation Weather
Cloudy
Aviation Weather
Mostly Cloudy
Aviation Weather
Mostly Cloudy
Aviation Weather
Mostly Cloudy
Aviation Weather
Mostly Cloudy
Aviation Weather
Mostly Cloudy
Aviation Weather
Cloudy
Aviation Weather
Cloudy
Aviation Weather
Cloudy
Aviation Weather
Cloudy
Aviation Weather
Cloudy
Aviation Weather
Mostly Cloudy
Aviation Weather
Mostly Cloudy
Aviation Weather
Partly Cloudy
Aviation Weather
Mostly Clear
Aviation Weather
TEMP
(F)
TemperatureTemperatureTemperatureTemperatureTemperatureTemperatureTemperatureTemperature
TemperatureTemperatureTemperatureTemperatureTemperatureTemperatureTemperatureTemperature
WIND DIRECTION
(AZIMUTH)

Help

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction

Wind Direction
AVERAGE
WIND SPEEDS

(MPH)

Help
Wind SpeedWind SpeedWind SpeedWind SpeedWind SpeedWind SpeedWind SpeedWind Speed
Wind SpeedWind SpeedWind SpeedWind SpeedWind SpeedWind SpeedWind SpeedWind Speed
DATE<script type="text/javascript">// (cmonth,cdate,ndays);// End// ]]>SATURDAY
 APRIL 17  
<script type="text/javascript">// (cmonth,cdate,ndays);// End// ]]>SUNDAY
 APRIL 18  
<script type="text/javascript">// (cmonth,cdate,ndays);// End// ]]>MONDAY
 APRIL 19  
HOUR7:00 AM10:00 AM1:00 PM4:00 PM7:00 PM10:00 PM1:00 AM4:00 AM7:00 AM10:00 AM1:00 PM4:00 PM7:00 PM10:00 PM1:00 AM4:00 AM7:00 AM10:00 AM1:00 PM7:00 PM1:00 AM

2010-04-17 7:16 AM

User image

Regular
New Orleans
Thanks Bear!! I love the chart you posted.
2010-04-17 9:37 AM

User image

Regular
New Orleans
I cant find the times that transition is open on Saturday. Anyone know?
2010-04-17 10:15 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
4:30 am
http://www.ironmanneworleans.com/article.php/raceday

Like the chart also, link for it? Please?

Edited by GaryRM 2010-04-17 10:17 AM
2010-04-17 10:42 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Dress code for Mandina's?  Casual?
2010-04-19 10:30 AM

Well I'm sitting here this morning with pretty stiff legs but kind of wondering what I'm going to do with all my free time this week.  Guess I'll have to find another race.  Enjoyed this one the swim just threw me off my game plan for a little while.  I don't know about yall but for me the first five miles of the bike was recovery for me from all the lake water I swallowed.  

Anyone know where we can see the pictures they took now?

2010-04-19 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2801159

User image

Regular
New Orleans
edmaxwell3 - 2010-04-19 10:30 AM Well I'm sitting here this morning with pretty stiff legs but kind of wondering what I'm going to do with all my free time this week.  Guess I'll have to find another race.  Enjoyed this one the swim just threw me off my game plan for a little while.  I don't know about yall but for me the first five miles of the bike was recovery for me from all the lake water I swallowed.  

Anyone know where we can see the pictures they took now?

http://www.brightroom.com/find.asp

They are not available right now but I assume they will be up soon. If you fill out the form, they will email you when they are available.

My goggles fogged up on my during the turnaround. Between that and the sun in my eyes I could not see the markers well. It was a lonely ride the 1st portion since I was 3rd to last wave and swam a little slow. I finally caught up and passed people and gained some strength later in the ride after my hamstrings stopped burning. hehe

I ran about 11.5 miles of the race but was having issues with my calf locking up after mile 8 or so. I was hydrated and taking GU's but I am thinking it was due to salt.

I was disappointed in a few areas. They needed bathrooms at the swim start. To close transition, make all of the athletes stand out by the water, provide water to drink and no bathrooms was cruel. I think most of the people in the water previous to start was peeing...lol

Edited by pure_energy 2010-04-19 10:48 AM
2010-04-19 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2801236

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
pure_energy - 2010-04-19 10:47 AM
My goggles fogged up on my during the turnaround. Between that and the sun in my eyes I could not see the markers well. It was a lonely ride the 1st portion since I was 3rd to last wave and swam a little slow. I finally caught up and passed people and gained some strength later in the ride after my hamstrings stopped burning. hehe

I had a great swim until the same spot.  Went way to far towards land and had to swim back out to make it around the pier.  My own fault (one of the reasons I like point-to-point swims better less likely I will get lost ;>.  Bike did okay but not as well as I had hoped for.  The run was pretty much what I expected except being a little warmer than I had hoped for.

Overall, I had a lot of fun and enjoyed myself.
2010-04-21 3:51 PM

User image

Hermitage TN (Down the street from Nashville)

Oh my what a day it was,

I let the swim get the best of me and had 1 of the worse swims of my life.  I may have drunk more of Lake Ponchatrain than Gatorade that morning.  Everynow and then I would find my stroke but couldn't stay comfortable.  Mind games I'm sure, new goggles that leaked, couldn't see the bouyees...yada yada yada....all in all I have a crappy swim.  I did good on the bike, acually better than I though I was and once I got cozy I started passing people in the middle of the course.  My legs felt great and had a good run for my standards but later started to fade and cramped up a  bit in the last 3 miles or so.  I had a blast and I'm glad to meet new friends. Hope to see ya'll down the road.

Cheers

2010-04-22 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2808250

User image

Regular
New York
Panama - 2010-04-21 4:51 PM

Oh my what a day it was,

I let the swim get the best of me and had 1 of the worse swims of my life.  I may have drunk more of Lake Ponchatrain than Gatorade that morning.  Everynow and then I would find my stroke but couldn't stay comfortable.  Mind games I'm sure, new goggles that leaked, couldn't see the bouyees...yada yada yada....all in all I have a crappy swim.  I did good on the bike, acually better than I though I was and once I got cozy I started passing people in the middle of the course.  My legs felt great and had a good run for my standards but later started to fade and cramped up a  bit in the last 3 miles or so.  I had a blast and I'm glad to meet new friends. Hope to see ya'll down the road.

Cheers

X2  I was def not prepared for all of the Chop. The race was alot of fun though and I did finish my first half Iron. Is it just me or did the wind flip later in the day. I felt like I had a head wind both ways on the bike. I was in the last wave.
2010-04-22 1:19 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
I really think the later waves got the worst of it.  I went out on the 7:28 wave (that was the project start I think we started early) and wasn't too bad except the occasional sets of waves that pummelled me (I am not a great swimmer) .  The wind heading out on the bike got me.  Wasn't too bad on the way back I am not fast either way.  Anyone know about the biker that was down on the return leg of the bike on the freeway.  Was he okay?

2010-04-22 2:14 PM

New user

NOLA
First of all I completed my first triathlon this past weekend at IM NOLA.  I felt the later waves definitely got the worst of the wave action on the swim.  At the turn east, the sun was in our eyes badly as well as the waves crashing over us.  No one I have talked to enjoyed not being able to spot the buoys and swim a straight line.  I enjoyed it though but I am still paying.  congrats to all who finished and I may just see yall out there again next year!
2010-04-22 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2810316

User image

X2  I was def not prepared for all of the Chop. The race was alot of fun though and I did finish my first half Iron. Is it just me or did the wind flip later in the day. I felt like I had a head wind both ways on the bike. I was in the last wave.

Being a new swimmer (this was my thrid open water swimm) I can tell you that after the first stroke and taking in nothing but water i panicked! Nearly quit! Glad i didnt! I also felt like i was riding into a headwind on the way back too. I know that was my worst bike ever! and the swim didnt help! I was seriously just happy to finish. 

2010-05-05 7:11 PM

User image

New user

New Orleans 70.3 was my first triathlon. OMG!!!! Amazing! Once finished:-) I have to admit, when I hit the water my mind was saying...get the H*** out of here. I stuck through it though and finished. THe competitors were so gracious and encouraging. Thank to everybody for pushing through it ROCKED!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 14