General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate on the run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-26 9:25 AM

User image

Regular
Waco
Subject: Heart Rate on the run
during my last half, I could not settle into my heart rate.  It even approached 180-185 a couple of times.  I usually average 135-150 during my longer runs. I have done several halves before without a problem. I didnt take anything during the race that i havent used in training.

My question is,...
a) what should i do when this happens during a race?
b) what could have caused it?
C) I took an allegra for my allergies the night before? could that be something?

2009-10-26 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2479388

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Heart Rate on the run
IMO pacing using a HR during the run portion of a HIM and IM can be a tricky ordeal because so many things can alter your cardiovascular strain that might not have a direct relation with the work done on your muscles. Also, as your body fatigues in general your HR tend to raise to meet the demands of the exertion level still the increase might have little impact on your work done (performance).

- If your HR is elevated yet you are hitting your race pace and you feel good RPE wise  then *I* would ignore it.
- If your HR is elevated yet you are not hitting your race pace and you don't feel good RPE wise  then you either went to hard on the bike or did a poot job with fueling or it is to hot or some medication might have increased your HR or maybe you drank too much coffe the morning off, or, or, or...

In any event since many things could cause your HR to increase (or decrease) I would look at how good of a job you did fueling before and while racing, and how well you did pacing during the swim/bike and at the beginning of the run.
2009-10-26 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2479479

User image

Regular
Waco
thanks for the reply.  I did push it a little harder on the bike than normal.  But i think my nutrition was on pace.  I usually do a good job of that.  My heart rate was elevated and i was no where near my race pace.  Im usually below 10 minute miles, but during this race i had to stop a couple time per mile to walk so my heart rate would slow cause i felt like it was going to jump out of my chest. it was hot too though but i thought i was used to it.  I guess there are too many factors that could have something to do with it and the best thing is to live and learn.
2009-11-02 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2479783

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Rattlesnake - 2009-10-26 12:34 PM thanks for the reply.  I did push it a little harder on the bike than normal.  But i think my nutrition was on pace.  I usually do a good job of that.  My heart rate was elevated and i was no where near my race pace.  Im usually below 10 minute miles, but during this race i had to stop a couple time per mile to walk so my heart rate would slow cause i felt like it was going to jump out of my chest. it was hot too though but i thought i was used to it.  I guess there are too many factors that could have something to do with it and the best thing is to live and learn.

If you documented all your information during your training (HR, nutrition intake, weather, etc.), then you may want to look at the data you gathered and compare.  There are a lot of factors that contribute to this and JorgeM pointed out a number of them.   Have you checked the elevation of the course and noted if it was hilly?  Heat, hydration, and pushing more on one of the disciplines (swim, bike, run), either by themself or any of them combined together, could have been a factor.  Over-excited on race day?  Etc. etc. etc.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate on the run Rss Feed