General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race day failure despite training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-28 1:57 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Race day failure despite training
ok so i hope someone can give me an answer on this hopefully some one who this has happened to before. i have  a great base in training been doing half irons for a little more than a year and before that i was a runner. i train properly and put in the miles and speed effort for a race, however it seems that every time i race despite being prepared i find myself with stomach issues, usually bloatin although i dont overconsume liquids. also sometimes ive had nauseua that hinders my performance. has this happened to anyone else. i do great in training and am healthy the whole way it just seems come race day i bonk. is it nervousness? i think im pretty chill at starts, ive done them over and over, breakfast? i eat less than a bowl of cereal about 2 hours before the race just to have something in my system already.

2009-10-28 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2484630

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Race day failure despite training
how often has this happened ? just a few times and normally ok ? or all the time ?

do you normally eat the same cereal prior to training ?

sounds to me like it is a nervous reaction on race day.
2009-10-28 2:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pelzer, SC
Wake up one morning at tje time you would for a race, eat what you would for a race and go for a long bike/ run brick. If you have the same issues, i would change what you eat or what you use to hydrate. I've found that I can't take any more than a 50% mix of Gatorade or I get stomach cramps. The last race I did had Heed and that seem to do pretty well. Anyways, simulate race conditions and test different things.
2009-10-28 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2484663

User image

Regular
TROGDOR - 2009-10-28 2:06 PM Wake up one morning at tje time you would for a race, eat what you would for a race and go for a long bike/ run brick. If you have the same issues, i would change what you eat or what you use to hydrate. I've found that I can't take any more than a 50% mix of Gatorade or I get stomach cramps. The last race I did had Heed and that seem to do pretty well. Anyways, simulate race conditions and test different things.

Thats interesting, i used gatorade for my last race and cramped up so bad in my stomach, so what should i do stick to water?? what do you guys suggest
2009-10-28 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2484657

User image

Regular
metafizx - 2009-10-28 2:04 PM how often has this happened ? just a few times and normally ok ? or all the time ?

do you normally eat the same cereal prior to training ?

sounds to me like it is a nervous reaction on race day.

well for big races just twice but it totally breaks me down. usually i eat cereal sometimes whey protein
2009-10-28 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

My first reaction to this thread is that your problem is pacing.  Are you trying to do more, in terms of effort, on race day than you've been able to do in training?  Can you confirm your answer with a heart rate monitor?

Unless you're eating chocolate-coated sugar-bombs for breakfast, I'm not inclined to think that your cereal choice is wrecking your race day.

Can you share some more information with us?

Thanks!

~B

2009-10-28 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2484808

User image

Regular
getsome - 2009-10-28 2:48 PM

My first reaction to this thread is that your problem is pacing.  Are you trying to do more, in terms of effort, on race day than you've been able to do in training?  Can you confirm your answer with a heart rate monitor?

Unless you're eating chocolate-coated sugar-bombs for breakfast, I'm not inclined to think that your cereal choice is wrecking your race day.

Can you share some more information with us?

Thanks!

~B

[/QUOT/]

ny cereal is raisan bran and in one race it happened i was nauseated from the start and the other was a HIM where i took it about average on the bike but all the liquids i had werent circualated and came out about 3 hours after finishing. huge stomach cramps during race
2009-10-28 2:58 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

Bran cereal before a race? Whoa. that would give me stomach cramps too.

I would definitely change that. Try different things in training and see what works. some ideas: bagel, oatmeal, cliff bar etc.

2009-10-28 3:41 PM

User image

Veteran
What used to be the country, PA
If I ate just a bowl of cereal before a race, I don't think I'd make the starting line before I was hungry again. I'm a firm believer in going with a pretty much normal routine for race morning; this year before my HIM I had coffee (because they make you be there so effing early) and 2 bacon egg and cheeses on bagels. Mind you, this was at 5:15 a.m. with a 7:30 or 8:00 race start so plenty of time to digest. The normal, proven race fueling (for me it's Clif Shot gels, NUUN to drink) on the bike and run. You burn a ton more calories in a HIM than your typical running race; you gotta fill the tank or you'll die.
2009-10-28 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2484924

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
It may be a combination of when you it with what you eat.  I would highly recommend against milk products before a race.  The proteins in it are hard for many to break down and often people are allergic to them!

Have you tried going without food before other than perhaps a bar or a gel or two right before the start?

During the race are you eating/drinking differently than you do during training?  Like do you train exculsively with water and then pound the Gatorade on race day?  Also, do you take in solid nutrition and then add a sports drink on top of that?  This is often a recipe for bloating and GI disaster as it is almost impossible for your stomach to absorb that much without more liquid (water).
2009-10-28 4:08 PM
in reply to: #2484947

User image

Extreme Veteran

Daremo basically covered what I was going to say. Also the bran for me would not fly before a race. Personally I go for toast with a little peanut butter on it. nervous energy causes enough GI issues for me that I usually just put enough it to keep it settled a few hours before the race. for breakfast when I first get up though I will try something morre substantial.

Remember the motto, nothing new on race day. goes for food, gear, form, etc. (also might hear it as race like you train.)

2009-10-28 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2484991

User image

Regular
ok so what is something that would be easily digestible in the morning that could get  you good and threw for a HIM
2009-10-28 4:22 PM

Toast with hoeny or jam, no butter. Then during bars, bannan, gel.
GLHF
2009-10-28 6:03 PM
in reply to: #2484998

User image

Colorado
I like to use high carb drinks (such as Boost) a couple hours before a race to replenish my glycogen stores without cramming tons of food into my stomach, and then for something that feels more substantive, I like bananas and applesauce. The bananas give a nice shot of potassium to help prevent cramps, and everything else is jam packed with carbs so that they get me through races up to a HIM without any problem (when supplemented with gels and drinks during the race itself).

Nothing solid/heavy for me, certainly nothing high in fiber. In fact, I go very light on fiber for the two days before a race as well. Eating bran cereal would no doubt cause me problems if I'm pushing hard in a race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race day failure despite training Rss Feed