General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New New New! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-04 8:12 AM

Subject: New New New!

I am a 39 year-old guy, about 25 lbs. overweight, and I've decided that the only way to get my butt back into the shape of my youth is to set a nearly impossible goal (I'm thinking triathlon, else why would I be posting here!), and then grind myself into the grind trying to acheive it!  Until two years ago, I rode my bike to and from work 3-4 days a week.  Twenty or so years ago, when I was in the Navy, I learned to swim, and I'm still pretty comfortable in the water, but to say my stroke has form is a GROSS overstatement!  Oh, and I've never enjoyed running.  I can crank out an hour at a shot on the treadmill with no problem, but when I get on the road, all I can manage is 50-100 yards of running that then settles into a slow shuffle, then a walk.

Now, honestly, I know I've bitten off more than I can chew here, and that any sane, rational person would pick one sport and try that out first, but anything worth doing is worth overdoing, so here I go!  I look forward to the help and insight everyone here can offer!  Wish me luck!

2009-11-04 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2496761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: New New New!
Sounds to me like you've got a good base already... you have experience with all 3 disciplines. Sounds like you'll be good to go as soon as you put your mind to it, and tweak your diet a bit!

When you do the treadmill, try bumping up the hill %age a bit. Start at .5 and work your way up to 2%. It should help with the transition to the road.
2009-11-04 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2496862

User image

Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: New New New!
I was the same.  25-30 lbs overweight.   I did my first Tri 5 months later.   A mini Tri actually.   300 yard swim, 11 mile bike, 2 mile run.   I had to be caution of my knees.  (always had issues running)   I started slow.  For 1 month all I did was walk twice a day.  Second month, jog for 5 minutes & walk for 5 minutes...  Yes it was slow..  But I avoided injury that way...

Now here I am some 20 months later, 25 lbs lighter, and just completed my first HIM.   Its amazing how quickly fitness will come, so don't push yourself..  They have some excellent programs, so chech them out..  Couch to a Sprint.. 
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New New New! Rss Feed