General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swim Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-31 9:50 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: Open Water Swim Advice
I am about to do my first open water swim this saturday. I don't own a wetsuit. I think the water temperature will be aroun 70. I went to a local lake today and tried to swim, but the water temp really messed up my rhythm. Will I be able to make this swim (600m) with no wetsuit, or am I asking my body to do too much after training in a comforable pool for the past 4 months. Any advice would be helpful..thanks.

Anant

2005-05-31 10:52 PM
in reply to: #166357

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: RE: Open Water Swim Advice
Well, It seems to me that you have 2 choices.
1. Nut it up and swim
or
2. Quit

Your call
2005-06-01 1:04 AM

User image

Expert
You may be able to rent a wetsuit from a local shop. Make sure it's meant for triathlons and not diving -- thinner and more stretch in the shoulders (if it is a full-length). Try it on beforehand to make sure it fits (the sizing charts don't work for everyone) and to make sure you know how to get it on and off.

In 70 degree water, depending on your tolerance, you might be able to get away without one. If you can, get into the lake before the race to try it out. On race day, after setting up your T-area and doing a warm-up run and bike, get into the water 10 minutes or so before your wave starts and get used to the water temperature. Make sure you put your face in the water. Keep your heart rate and body temperature up by swimming out and back a bit. If you can help it, don't stop for very long.

From what I've read, it seems that most people wear a wetsuit if it's allowed (that's usually up to 78 degrees). So my recommendation is if you can rent one, do it. If you can't get one, follow my advice above. If you've been training for 4 months, I'm sure you can do this either way.

Have a great race!

Mike
2005-06-01 1:27 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

The thing about open water is that it is ALWAYS colder than the pool and this takes a little getting used to. My advice:

(1) get there early enough to warm up in the water.
(2) make sure that your swim warm-up includes getting your face in the water and doing some normal swimming. 
(3) Take your time getting in, it's going to take your body a minute to adjust to the colder water.
(4) Stay in the water as long as possible before your wave starts.
(5) If you need to, start off with your face out of the water, either breast stroke or just head up freestyle until you get into a rhythm. 

Open water is a lot different than pool swimming, don't worry if it feels awkward at first.  It will probably take a couple of times for you to feel completely comfortable.

2005-06-06 8:16 PM
in reply to: #166405

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Elismichael and Cadreamer,

I just wanted to thank you for your advice last week. I completed my first open water tri swim this past saturday, with much success! The water temp was officialy 74, and I used your advice. I got their early, got in the water and did some swimming before the start of the race. It was awkward at first, but then I got used to it and trusted in my training. After about halfway, the water was no longer cold, but it felt good. I beat my goal time by 3 minutes and finished in 16:47, which to date is one of my faster 600m swim times. You can check out the rest of my race stats in my journal. Thanks again for the advice!

Anant
2005-06-06 9:54 PM
in reply to: #169960

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
What is funny about your post is that I had completely FORGOTTEN that I had given you advice. So when you thanked me I was like "What??" - then I went back and read my post and thought, "Yeah, that IS good advice!" - LOL. (sometimes I know more than I think I do.)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swim Advice Rss Feed