General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianapolis, Indiana
United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 02m 33s
Overall Rank = 1114/
Age Group = 34M
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up for breakfast well in advance.
Event warmup:

Not too much of a warmup. I had to run from the parking garage to the hotel next door to get some cash. The nice ladies at the parking garage let me park inside and run over real quick.
Run
  • 2h 02m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I had hoped to run this half at a 9 minute pace. I think for the first 15k, I held that fairly well. at around mile 11 I really felt tired. I stopped to walk several times in the last 2.5 miles. That killed my chances of a sub-2 finish, which was my goal. I really didn't have the training volume that I needed to confidently put out that kind of effort, I think.
What would you do differently?:

Train more, and carry my own nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked from the finish line to the other side of the Capitol building where my family was. I was waiting for a buddy who was running his first half. When he came by I jogged a block or so with him, and then walked back to the finishline with my fam.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training volume, and no speed work.

Last updated: 2009-11-07 12:00 AM
Running
02:02:33 | 13.1 miles | 09m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: This was a really, really nice course. Extremely flat. We ran through lots of downtown, and some wonderful neighborhoods. Historic Meridian Park really stands out. They had all kinds of signs for the runners, including chalking tons of messages on the road for the runners. The water stops were well stocked, EXCEPT they didn't have Clif gels at the 8 mile water stop like they said they would. I wish I would have listened to the people that said "don't trust the course for nutrition."
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-07 5:10 PM

User image

Master
Beijing
Subject: Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon Rss Feed