General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Half Ironman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-09 6:19 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Half Ironman : Official Thread

Hi! I am planning on doing this race for the first time, in preparation for the Cedar Point Full Rev in September. I have done a HIM before, but not this one.

Has anyone done this race before? Anything I should know.

2009-11-16 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2505742

Subject: RE: Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Half Ironman : Official Thread
I did it this year.  Nice size waves on the swim, crappy roads- lots of flats, and poorly stocked aid stations on the run.  I finished a little over 5 and 1/2 hours and some of the aid stations were out of water on my second loop of the run!
ben
2009-11-17 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

I've only done the sprint there a couple of times, but ride to the State Park on some of my longer training rides.  As mentioned there are some bad roads and there seemed to be an unusual amount of flats last year and that was within the first 5 miles.  I actually so more folks with flats there then I did at my IM.  Not sure why thou.

The course is somewhat boring, flat in farm country/rural areas for the most part, probably similar to CP course.  One of the road sections had new chip seal done on it late this summer so that should help.  Just watch yourself riding out of and back into the park.  The road I think is called Waterworks is a fricken mess but its just a short stretch!

The swim was rougher last year due to a wind out of the east, which is kinda of unusual.  The year before was windier but since it was out of the west the chop wasn't nearly as bad.  Doesn't take much to upset Lake Erie.

I should be there for the sprint again this year, I enjoy the event and it's a nice way to start out the tri season.

2010-05-08 6:49 PM

New user

I'm doing this for the first time but a friend who did it last year did not mention the issues on the bike.,  He actually said the bike course is very fast and flat.
2010-05-26 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Hit part of the bike course today and had myself a little swim in Erie today.

Roads are pretty much like they always are, some decent, some not so good.  Waterworks rd after you turn right exiting the park has a few holes in it that will end your day.  The area you see with some fresher looking black top on is bumpy as heck, avoid it.  I only hit parts of the 10 mile loop since Ready rd was closed, but rode, Haggerman which was fine for the most part, Sigler which has some nasty cracks in it at spots between 1 and 3 feet away from the edge right were vehicle's tires would normally ride, keep your eyes open and stay on the edge or in the middle of the lane.  The first part of Dixie you hit in the 10 mile loop isn't bad, but then it gets rough and could become rather annoying.

The out and back sections of Dixie/US Turnpike are normally good so I didn't hit them as it can be a suicide ride with the trucks on that route during the week.  The only unknown since I made a wrong turn, is Mentel and Nadeau.  I know Mentel was re chip sealed late last year so it should be decent enough this year.

The water was plenty warm enough to swim in without a wetsuit.  Seemed to be lots of debris in the water from plants, etc.  Not sure if that was just because of the SE winds at the beach today or not, but kinda makes you jump when you feel something stuck in your hand or on your head/ear/goggles.  Also the water was rather murky, I could just see my hand extended in front of me.  I always thought it was from being in the last wave at the tri's.  So visibility may just be poor most of the time.

I can't make it this year and hope you all have great weather and great races!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Half Ironman : Official Thread Rss Feed