Other Resources My Cup of Joe » AMA reverses field on medical marijuana Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-06-26 2:45 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: AMA reverses field on medical marijuana
I don't know, man, I think people metabolize pot differently.

2013-06-27 8:50 AM

User image

Master
MidWest
Originally posted by TriMike
Originally posted by ashort33

I only know two things for sure - first - mj is a gateway drug to harder drugs.  Second - nothing fires up pot smokers exept talking about legalizing pot... 

You have no more proof of this than proponents do of the benefits...

My oldest is a pot-smoker and has been for several years.  I don't agree with it and have rules set about its use when I am around.  With that being said, when he started it was recreational.  He had a suicidal depression mode in college and checked himself into a hospital for a week.  When he was discharged they gave him a Rx for a anti-depressant.  He didn't want us to know about it so he self-medicated with marijuana.  Yes, he still uses it recreationally when with friends, but he uses it daily as an anti-depressant.  He has tried to quit using it and the results are not pretty.  

They say that medical marijuana can only be used for life-threatening illnesses such as cancer, but, in all honesty, depression is a life-threatening illness as well.  If not treated, my son would end his life.  Our other children and myself have been diagnosed as depressed and take Rx for it.  There is a difference when we miss dosages, as well.  I'm not advocating recreational use, but medically it should be more available.

2013-06-27 11:15 AM
in reply to: BAMBAM66

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Originally posted by BAMBAM66

I only know two things for sure - first - mj is a gateway drug to harder drugs.  Second - nothing fires up pot smokers exept talking about legalizing pot... 

My oldest is a pot-smoker and has been for several years.  I don't agree with it and have rules set about its use when I am around.  With that being said, when he started it was recreational.  He had a suicidal depression mode in college and checked himself into a hospital for a week.  When he was discharged they gave him a Rx for a anti-depressant.  He didn't want us to know about it so he self-medicated with marijuana.  Yes, he still uses it recreationally when with friends, but he uses it daily as an anti-depressant.  He has tried to quit using it and the results are not pretty.  

They say that medical marijuana can only be used for life-threatening illnesses such as cancer, but, in all honesty, depression is a life-threatening illness as well.  If not treated, my son would end his life.  Our other children and myself have been diagnosed as depressed and take Rx for it.  There is a difference when we miss dosages, as well.  I'm not advocating recreational use, but medically it should be more available.

A buddy of mine says he quit ADD meds because of pot... I don't know that he smokes before work (self employed) but he says his focus is very similar to when he had to take meds..

Much like what I think you meant in your post, we're not necessarily advocating but we know of individual cases where individuals are using and not from a recreational standpoint...

I apparently re-ignited a thread that was years old by commenting on an ignorant post that I thought was recent....

The debate is ongoing...

2013-06-27 12:14 PM

User image

Pro
I inhaled, back in HS/college. I will say this - what we smoked back in the 70's and 80's is nothing like what is available today.

Second, whatever you want to say about marijuana there is no escaping it has carcinogenic and mutagenic properties. Smoking pot when you already have health issues? No idea what the effects will be.

I was on a research paper earlier this year looking at the effects of genetic mutations in HIV-positive patients and there was a statistically significant association between marijuana use (and cocaine use) and progression of patients towards HIV-associated dementia.

Not trying to spread fear, just saying that what the AMA should have done is push for more comprehensive studies to be done.
2013-06-27 12:21 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly I inhaled, back in HS/college. I will say this - what we smoked back in the 70's and 80's is nothing like what is available today. Second, whatever you want to say about marijuana there is no escaping it has carcinogenic and mutagenic properties. Smoking pot when you already have health issues? No idea what the effects will be. I was on a research paper earlier this year looking at the effects of genetic mutations in HIV-positive patients and there was a statistically significant association between marijuana use (and cocaine use) and progression of patients towards HIV-associated dementia. Not trying to spread fear, just saying that what the AMA should have done is push for more comprehensive studies to be done.

Was that for patients who smoked or injested in other forms?

Is it carcinogneic and mutagenic if it is eaten and not smoked?

2013-06-27 12:42 PM
in reply to: JBrashear

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by JBrashear  In changing its policy, the group said its goal was to clear the way to conduct clinical research, develop cannabis-based medicines and devise alternative ways to deliver the drug.  

Sounds to me like they're being used as a mouthpiece for "Big Pharma" and somebody wants to slow the march to full-on legalization of any of it until they have a chance to get some other products on the market.

2013-06-27 1:07 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly I inhaled, back in HS/college. I will say this - what we smoked back in the 70's and 80's is nothing like what is available today. Second, whatever you want to say about marijuana there is no escaping it has carcinogenic and mutagenic properties. Smoking pot when you already have health issues? No idea what the effects will be. I was on a research paper earlier this year looking at the effects of genetic mutations in HIV-positive patients and there was a statistically significant association between marijuana use (and cocaine use) and progression of patients towards HIV-associated dementia. Not trying to spread fear, just saying that what the AMA should have done is push for more comprehensive studies to be done.

Was that for patients who smoked or injested in other forms?

Is it carcinogneic and mutagenic if it is eaten and not smoked?

Smoked. So it's completely unknown if it's the active component (THC) or the thousands of trace compounds being inhaled.
2013-06-27 4:03 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Isn't that something.  IF I had ever smoked in college, I IMAGINE it would've made me more depressed.  And IF that were the case, I IMAGINE needing to stop smoking it in order to be not depressed anymore.

I always thought of it as having the opposite affect, like the poster who mentioned someone taking it in lieu of ADD meds.

2013-06-27 4:15 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Master
MidWest
Originally posted by noelle1230

Isn't that something.  IF I had ever smoked in college, I IMAGINE it would've made me more depressed.  And IF that were the case, I IMAGINE needing to stop smoking it in order to be not depressed anymore.

I always thought of it as having the opposite affect, like the poster who mentioned someone taking it in lieu of ADD meds.

I know that, for him, smoking helps to relive some of the stress that causes his depression.  He does use it as a ADD med (or did in high school when taking big stakes tests, i.e ACT).  I'm not sure how it really works I just know that he is better when in using it.

2013-06-27 4:26 PM

User image

Elite

As someone with a long history, I can promise you weed is not an anti depressant. Don't confuse withdrawal with positive reasons to continue smoking. I can also tell you, it is most certainly addictive, and those that say otherwise, didn't smoke enough.

I used weed to medicate and shut my head up which has been non stop since birth. I used other drugs to do the same. Come to find out, when I learn to control my behaviors and work on problems, I do not need to "medicate" any more. Living life as a zombie is un-necessary. And whether the "medicine" comes from a drug dealer, or big pharma is irrelevant.

I have zero issues with drugs... I think every single one should be legal. Weed being Schedule 1 is probably the most ridiculous thing in the entire anti-drug campaign. It does have "some" medical benefits, and should be studied further... but it hacks me to no end treating weed as a "medicine", and going to your "care giver" to get high. It's complete BS. If you want to get high and legalize it, then say so and campaign for it. Back door BS is silly.

2013-06-27 9:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

I know that, for him, smoking helps to relive some of the stress that causes his depression.  He does use it as a ADD med (or did in high school when taking big stakes tests, i.e ACT).  I'm not sure how it really works I just know that he is better when in using it.

I apologize if I came off snotty. I was mainly talking about the MMJ peeps here in Colorado. It has been an issue for a couple of years. I should probably just take a break for a while.

Edited by powerman 2013-06-27 9:30 PM

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » AMA reverses field on medical marijuana Rss Feed  

of 3