General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 104

2010-10-10 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3143529

User image

Regular
Madison, AL
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
rode 100 on friday with a 4 mile run afterwards.  The 90 deg temps really got to me and I bonked pretty bad on the run.

Ran almost 19 miles today. Felt pretty good.

What's everybody got planned for the next week? 

2010-10-10 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2512129

User image

TXnick and I did 108 mile ride this morning followed by a 3 mile run.  Boy was is windy out there!  The last 20 miles were straight headwind which took me to a pretty dark place but once I started running I felt fresh
2010-10-10 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3143025

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

bar92 - 2010-10-09 8:01 PM 100 mile ride today followed by a 1 hour run (with some walking in there).  2:45 run in the morning.  I'm really hoping the route for Florida has good roads.  I am so tired of riding on horrible country roads.  In the organized century ride I did this morning there was even a 1 mile stretch of gravel road we had to ride through.  Since I didn't want to risk going down and getting injured, I did about 6mph on that part.  Fun times.  NOT.  I did, however, rent races wheels again today and am going to check into getting them for Florida.  I could tell the difference on the few smooth roads we did have today.

the roads are pretty good don't worry about that.....just cross that concern off your list.

2010-10-10 5:21 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I rode 100 today.  I did 64 outside and 36 on the trainer.  it was the most annoying bike ride EVER. sEE MY BLOG IF YOU WANT THE GORY DETAILS BUT THE SHORT VESRION IS:  Broken bike computer which I wasted 45 minutes (at least) trying to fix unsuccessfully, slow people, fast people wanting me to either hammer or get in a pace line which I was not interested in, phone kept ringing, a nagging injury reared its ugly head, and a rattlesnake.  I hope all my bad bike karma is GONE NOW!!!

Edited by Socks 2010-10-10 5:21 PM
2010-10-10 7:11 PM

Veteran
Grapevine, Texas

Awesome run this morning.  It was a beautiful morning, nice and cool and all sunny, blue skies.  Just so thankful to be out and active and doing things that I really enjoy. 

15 miles today - it was a wee bit slow, but I stayed solely all zone 2 HR the whole time, so I'm proud of that.

It will be a good week upcoming.  Lots of training on tap, and a big weekend with 100 miles on Sat and 3 hour run on Sun.

2010-10-10 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3144011

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
Yesterday I rode 10, ran 4, rode 90 then ran 6. 

Today, I had a half mary and ran 5 before the race.  I was able to run the 18 today right under 9/mile (sub 8/mile the last two), which is well below what I expect to do on race day, but it felt good.  It helps to get a good mental reassurance this close to the race.

2010-10-10 10:33 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Okay, here's my IMFL course report!!!!  I'll try not to get too long winded.  I'll start with the short version...

Overall, the roads are in GREAT SHAPE.  There's one section early on 79 (and thus late in the course on 79 as well) that isn't exactly smooth.  On a scale of 1-10, if 1 is super smooth asphalt and 10 is the roughest  Texas chipseal you can find, there are a few miles of a 2-3 on 79.  Right before the bridge I think.  But it's really only a few miles.  The only other bad patch is the out and back section of 388.  The first part of 388 is awesome, but that out and back kinda stinks--a 4 on aforementioned scale.  The asphalt has pressure cracked and you just keep hitting these cracks every second or so.  HOWEVER, if you got some bike SKILLZ and can ride a straight line, HUG THE WHITE LINE!  The 6-8 inches of road immediately to the left of the white line is much smoother than the rest.  I usually ride 1-2 feet from the white line on roads without a shoulder, but that's kind of in the tire track and I think the cars have made the pressure cracking worse.  The course is definitely a false flat heading out 79.  The first hour is quite slow.  77 south and 79 south were the fastest sections.  Some good fast spots on 388 too.  There are about 5-6 shallow rollers on 20 headed east.  But all of 20 on the west side of 77 is pretty flat.  I had winds out of the SW which is absolutely the worst case scenario for the race...I battled a 10-15kt headwind for 40 miles!

Okay, longer version.

I started from the Wal-Mart.  That's probably 0.75 miles from the Boardwalk.  So I added a mile to distances to put the mile markers on the map.  And I stopped after 77 westbound figuring you could interpret from there, PLUS I had no idea if I had gone the exact right distances on the out and backs.  Take my mileage with a +/- 1 or 2 mile grain of salt.

Front beach road is nice and smooth, decent shoulder.  There is some sand in the shoulder.  Watch out for it.  I actually hope they sweep the roads, but I'm not holding my breath.  The section on Front Beach is longer than I thought, but uneventful.  It is billiard table flat.   I turned onto 79 North.  You pass highway 98 pretty quickly and then it's just open road in front of you!  This road has a huge shoulder, but the cars are moving really fast.  I was a bit spooked due to finding out about the guy killed on the course on Wednesday so I was going kinda slow through here...cringing every time a car passed me.  I'm riding along on good asphalt when it suddenly changes to "really good chipseal".  That is the best way I can describe it.  On my scale of 1-10, this was the 2-3 section.  Suddenly I looked to my right and a bike path had appeared along the road.  NO idea when that started...but there it was.  It was nice and wide and straight and it was early so there wasn't anyone on it.  So I bounced over there for a few miles until it ended.  It looks like they are making it longer...it was under construction passed where I exited.  Within a few miles we were back to nice smooth asphalt. 

Then I hit THE BRIDGE!  My Garmin was at about 11 or so miles, so this bridge is probably 12 miles into the course (and thus at the 100 mile mark on the way back).  And it's probably the only true "hill" on the course.  I was in my easiest gear spinning up.  Definitely enjoyed coming down the back side!  It's concrete with requisite concrete seams.

Good asphalt after the bridge and the rest of the way up 79.  It's probably important to note that this road is a 4 lane divided highway.  HOWEVER, a couple of miles prior to Ebro (the intersection of 79 and 20), they narrow the traffic down to one lane in each direction and you lose your shoulder for a bit.  I'm not sure what the traffic plan will be for this.  The construction signs don't predict finishing the improvements until Spring 2011 so I am not holding out for it to be done before IM.  Should be interesting.  79 is pretty flat all the way up until the bridge.  After the bridge I am pretty sure it's a false flat headed uphill.  I only averaged 14mph for the first hour.

I turned right on HWY 20 which also has a really really wide shoulder.  Like 2-3 feet wide.  And decent asphalt.  Probably a 1.5 on my scale.  This section of 20 is pretty flat.  The best way I can describe this...everyone knows that a false flat LOOKS flat but actually isn't.  Some parts of this are JUST BARELY steeper than a false flat...as in, you can SEE that it isn't flat, but it isn't a hill either.  I hope that makes sense to someone other than me.   HWY 20 is one lane in each direction with big wide shoulders.

Next thing you know you reach HWY 77 and hang a right.  Another 4 lane divided highway.  I really made up some time here.  Winds were still light out of the north at this point and I was hauling butt.  I think this is a false flat downhill.  Great asphalt.  I think I spent some time in the big ring here.

Turned left on County 388.  First road all day with no shoulder.  No kidding, the white line is next to the grass.  But the asphalt is good and road is about 75% fast feeling.  Parts of it feel slow...false flatty.  But mostly speedy.  By the 3 hour mark I was at 48 miles or 16mph...up from my first hour being 14 mph.  So, that's good.  Right after I turned onto this road I got chased by a dog.  He was a tiny little thing and gave up after 100 feet or so, but that could definitely get dicey if there are a lot of cyclists around.  I hope his owners keep him locked up on IM day.  The way I see it they hopefully figure that out while the fast people go by and he'll be tired of chasing by the time I get there!

There's one lone four way intersection sign that tells you that you are coming up on the next county road which is blue springs road.  As soon as you cross it the road goes to pot.  It has pressure cracks that you hit every second or so.  I slowed way down at first.  After a few miles I was really getting tired of it.  It's not so bad that you can't stay in aero...it's just ANNOYING.  Finally I figure out that if you really hug the white line the cracks are not as bad.  Be careful doing this since there is absolutely no shoulder, but it's definitely the way to go.  I had no idea where the turnaround was.  From the course map it looks really close to 231.  So I went until I could SEE 231.  There's an elementary school maybe a tenth of a mile from 231.  I used their parking lot to spin around and did my own special needs stop and refilled my infinit with a baggie of powder and my camel bak.  I think I went too far.  There's a nice open field shoulder about a quarter mile before I stopped and I think that might be where special needs ends up.  The shoulder from there to 231 is a lot narrower.  Either way, I turned around right at 56 miles (and 3:29 on the clock).  Special needs is going to be very very very close to exactly halfway.

So...then you have to go back over the crappy road (hug the white line!) back to Blue Springs.  It was probably 5.6 miles in each direction, so a long time on the crappy road, but not horrible.  When you take the right onto Blue Springs you really appreciate how nice the asphalt there is.  This road is MOSTLY flat, but almost right away when you turn on it there is a sweet downhill...during which all I could think about was, "I'm going to pay for this."  Sure enough, it's a little valley and there's a short uphill right after it that I used my easy gear on.  Short, but enough to slow you down.  Nothing else interesting on this part.  Highway 20 comes up pretty suddenly at the bottom of a short downhill, so be careful!

I hang a left on HWY 20...back on the two lane with big shoulders.  As I recall there is another nice downhill right away.  Then you hit a series of 5 or 6 rollers.  I believe these are the "hills" Sue referred to.  They are decent, but really not that bad.  I think the first "uphill" was the worst of the group.  And...right about here is where the wind kicked up.  Absolute WORST CASE SCENARIO FOR IMFL!!!!  I had a 10-15 mph wind out of the SW...so ALL of 20 was a headwind.  Suckage!

After the 5 or 6 rollers it flattens back out to the "slightly steeper than false flats" that I mentioned before.  All the way past 77 and to 79.  Not a speed demon part of the course, but as long as we don't end up with a headwind for it I think we'll be okay here.  Once you pass 77 you are back on the part of 20 you already rode.

Left on 79...you hit the couple of miles of construction...again, I am interested to see how they deal with this.  It's a busy enough road that I can't imagine they will close it...but this has the potential to be a big traffic bottleneck.

This section is NICE.  Despite the stupid headwind I am really moving.  This HAS to be a false flat headed downhill.  I couldn't seem to find Steel Field.  I was expecting it a lot sooner than it came up.  In fact, I had given up on finding it...thinking it was maybe during the construction on the closed side of the road.  But, finally I see a sign for Steel Field Landfill, and then Steel Field Road comes up.  I have NO idea how far this turn around will be.  But I do some mental math and realize that it can't be much more than 3-5 miles total based on where I hit 77.  I knew just going straight back from 77 was 34 miles....and I hit it at over 72 miles.  So I went down SF road a little over 2 miles.  Quite funny...you make the turn on Steel Field and it's nice asphalt...but the first thing you see is a sign that says "Rough road".  Say what???  I think what they mean is that the asphalt has bubbled in a few places.  If you were riding closer to the middle of the road you would feel a little washboard where the asphalt has heaved.  But really, this road isn't rough.  It's quite nice.

I headed back to  79.  79 is a lot flatter from there on back.  It was flat...i.e. I wasn't getting the bonus downhill anymore.   Then at about 100 miles you hit the overpass bridge again.  It's right after you pass CR 388.  Back up and over and then the rest is really exactly the same as the way out.  Very flat and I had the nasty headwind until I got to Front Beach and had a tail.

I stayed out of aero on Front Beach.  I hope this road is closed race day...there was a LOT of traffic and many parked cars that really put you on edge.  It was nice in the morning when I left town but by 3pm it had a lot of action.

I got back to the Wal-Mart at 112.5 so I know I went too far on one or both of the out and backs.  The Wal-Mart roundtrip should have been closer to 111.  I had some time left so I made the trek down S Thomas to the boardwalk.  Not surprisingly, this road is STILL under construction...it didn't look like they had made any progress since last year...in fact, it looked WORSE.  I highly recommend you stay OUT of aero once you are on S. Thomas.  There are some bike eating pot holes and large piles of sand.  Just cruise this part...really...it's not worth wrecking.

Well, there you have it.  My IMFL course report.  I hope this answers everyone's questions about the new course.  All in all, mostly great roads, and mostly flat.  I probably went to my "easiest gear" (I think I have an 11-23...I haven't looked, but it's whatever cassette came with my bike) 3 times.  But I'm a pretty lousy biker.  I didn't spend as much time in my big ring as I thought I would either.  I might have spent more without the dang headwind all the way home.  I will be interested to see how they handle traffic...especially on the sections of 20 where you will have people riding in both directions...I think that is a recipe for disaster if they don't close the road to traffic.  Or at least only let one direction through at a time or something.

Fire away with questions!

Edited to add pictures!  Temps/winds at both PCB and Ebro...and I added some general mile markers to the course...

Edited by jldicarlo 2010-10-10 10:38 PM
2010-10-10 11:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Subject: great road course report. thanks jennifer
2010-10-11 5:07 AM

User image

Regular
Liverpool, England
Fantastic bike course report jldicarlo. Thanks for taking the time to ride it and report on it.

This has really given me a good idea of what to expect. I was under the impression that this course was pretty flat, but obviously it's not!
2010-10-11 5:18 AM

User image

Regular
Liverpool, England
Got in a 60 mile bike ride on Saturday and then did a half marthon Sunday on a rather hilly course. Really didn't appreciate the very steep long hill at mile 12. So glad that Florida is flat.

My legs are a little done-in today after last weeks exploits!

Have a 112 bike ride scheduled for next Saturday followed by an hours run and then a 15 mile run on the Sunday and then that's the really long stuff done.
2010-10-11 7:07 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Thanks for the course description/update! Lots of good detail that will help on race day!!

When I did LP the bike course had either a dedicated lane (cones blocking the traffic) for the bike or the road was closed in one or both directions.  Those of you that have done this race before, is that unique to LP or does FL do something similar? 

2010-10-11 7:30 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Thanks Jen!! In years past on the divided highways they have had an entire lane blocked off for us.  They do NOT close front beach road but in the morning it is not an issue and coming back the police are fantastic and most folks in cars just stay out of the right lane. 

Edited by Socks 2010-10-11 7:31 AM
2010-10-11 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3144303

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Jaro0606...it IS really flat depending on where you are from.  But it's not a billiard table.  I'm not trying to scare people into thinking there are hills...really...when I went into my easiest gear it was for maybe a minute or two.  And most of the inclines are just barely steeper than a false flat...
2010-10-11 8:32 AM

User image

Elite
SE
You rock jldicarlo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much.
2010-10-11 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
Awesome report Jen.  And after some horrible roads for me this weekend, I'd even be happy with a 5 on your scale of roads.    I need to print out your report so I can read it a few more times.  And maybe I'll go ride some hills the next two weekends so the false flats seem easy come race day.  Ha.  Thanks so much for doing this.  You rock.
2010-10-11 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3144601

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Yes, bar92...if you are used to crap then you should love most of these.  I was being EXTREMELY critical.  I spent a lot of time on Texas chipseal so I have a good perspective of good versus bad roads.  

And I'm glad I could help.  It would have been stupid of me to live less than an hour away and NOT ride the course!  I had to beg my way into one more long ride, but I'm glad I did it.

It probably wouldn't take all that long to go drive most of the course.  You could skip the "miles" on the out and backs and just go a few hundred feet down to get a feel for them.

I think a good last ride during race week could be to go as far as the bridge on 79 if you wanted to see it.  At the very least if you have a car you can drive over to it!  That is the "biggest hill" on the course.  So if you've seen that you have seen the absolute worst of it by far! 

2010-10-11 9:33 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
And please remember that I am a TERRIBLE biker.  I am hoping for 16mph on race day.  Most of you will be MUCH faster than me!!!!
2010-10-11 10:30 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

Thank you very much for the report, Jen!  I will have some afternoon coffee later and read it

Feeling tired but satisfied after the weekend.  Easy swim and recovery today...

2010-10-11 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Great report Jen, thanks
2010-10-11 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3144711

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX
jldicarlo - 2010-10-11 9:33 AM And please remember that I am a TERRIBLE biker.  I am hoping for 16mph on race day.  Most of you will be MUCH faster than me!!!!

thanks so much for the detailed report!!!

sounds like i should be able to rock the big chain ring for the entire race!
After riding 108 miles yesterday w/ some crazy wind and tons of hills I can't wait for false flats, small rollers and 4-5 'hills'.  and less than 10 miles of 'rough' roads should be pretty doable. i'm glad special needs will be pretty close to halfway now.

thanks again!!!!

Edited by TXNick 2010-10-11 12:53 PM
2010-10-11 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
Thanks for the course report!!! It sounds like it won't be anything close to some of the chipseal that I've been on here in good ol' Texas.

2010-10-11 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
Jen - thanks for taking the time to post the report.  It is very much appreciated

I will probably be biking around the same speed as you too
2010-10-11 5:14 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
You guys are rockin!

Look at the mileage and time you guys are doing!  2:30, 2:45 runs.  Who else puts that kind of time in after a 6 to 8 hour ride the day before? (oh, and with a bricked run)

Starting to look like a bunch of Ironmen!

I had a good weekend - was more strict with my nutrition on Saturday, including recovery drinks, and felt a whole lot better on Sunday - paid lots of attention to nutrition then as well.

Ran a race on Sunday:  10/10/10 10K  We started at 10:10 in the morning.  Doesn't that sound like fun?
I did it, of course at the end 1:50 of running.

A few moments of extra time is getting to be a hard thing to come by.

Edited by jashac 2010-10-11 5:15 PM
2010-10-11 5:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong

Remember that daylight savings time ends at 2:00 a.m. on Sunday, November 7. Don't forget set your clocks back one hour on Saturday night.

I guess all that means for you all is that you can sleep one more hour on Sunday.
AWESOME!

Edited by boxer 2010-10-11 5:34 PM
2010-10-11 5:39 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Jen thanks for the detailed report on the bike course. Ask a Air Force Officer for recon. information and we get all the details and more than we could ask for. You rock Jen!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 104