General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The mass swim start Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-14 4:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: The mass swim start
I am doing IM Cozumel in a couple of weeks. It is my first IM. Does anyone have tips for getting through the mass swim start AND for swimming in that kind of crowd in general?

2009-11-14 6:54 AM
in reply to: #2513603

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: The mass swim start
I am already jealous of you for saying that you're doing IM Cozumel but I'll chime in on your question anyways.

First of all, have a blast during the race and take it all in. As far as the IM swim start, it can be as "adventurous" or "fun" as you want it to be. For some people getting into "battle" with 2000 others, dodging feet, blocking elbows, swallowing gallons of water because some guy won't stop splashing water in your mouth on every stroke is adventurous and fun. For me, I just want to get from the start to the finish with as little contact as possible.

If you are a sub 55:00 swimmer then start front and center, close to the buoy line. There is some contact in the first few hundred yards but it thins out pretty fast and you can find a set of feet to lead you to the finish.

If you are in the 1:00:00 - 1:10:00 range you have a HUGE group to contend with. If you don't want the contact I recommend starting from the far outside and taking an angle to the first buoy then either "blend in" with the crowd or swing a bit outside for the calmer water. If you start even a couple hundred yards away from the buoy line you are only adding about 10 or 15 yds to your overall swim. (I think it's worth it to avoid the commotion) There is another option of swimming inside the buoys but more and more people are catching on to this one and swinging out to go around the turn buoy can be taking your life in the hands of the 500 other people funneling in to round the buoy.

The 1:15:00 - 1:30:00 range swimmers I would say to start outside and further back in the crowd. Talk to some athletes around you and find out what pace they are planning to swim. Don't be afraid to just sit back for 30 or 40 seconds and let the initial rush of arms and legs go by before starting your swim.

I had a friend at IMWI this year that had his goggles break right at the sound of the cannon. The nose piece sank to the bottom and the strap broke at the same time. He swam over to the ski ramp and fixed his goggles with the help of a kayaker and started the swim about 4:00 after the start in dead last. Still had a decent swim at a 1:10:33 with not much contact by swimming the course wide. This was only 5:00 off his normal time for his IM swims.

Having a blast is the main goal in any IM race for me. Time goals will still be met if you stay on top of your nutrition and you've put the training in.  Being in Cozumel would make that "having a blast" goal much easier!!

Good luck and I hope this helps.

2009-11-14 7:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Stay calm and keep your composure.  Are you going to get hit? Yes.  Are you going to get kicked? Yes.  Is there anything you can do about it? Not really.  The first few minutes will be crazy, but it will gradually space out.  Seed yourself according to your expected finish time, but do not get in the back if you are going to finish in the middle or front - more people to pass and kick you. A good, front quadrant swim technique helps as a blocking mechanism.

My best advice - enjoy it.  The mass start is an experience you will probably never forget, for whatever reason.  Starting with 2000 other people is a very special part of the IM experience.

Here is a training video with some good tips - it is funny because it is true, seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk

2009-11-14 7:25 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
The closer you get to the buoy line and first turn buoy, the more congestion you'll have.  I found swinging wide around the buoy is faster than going close.  People have a tendency to come around a turn buoy and start breast stroking in order to site.  This backs up everyone behind them 

Like someone else said, you're going to get hit.  Don't take it personally.  99% of it is incidental.  There are a few buttheads that think they are in a football game but most people are just trying to make it to the finish.

Ernie
2009-11-14 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI
I agree.  You are going to get hit.  Some have more contace than others.  I had an average amount - about what i expected or less.  But the guy who came out of the water with me was complaining that he was kicked as hard as if someone punched him in the face...

There are going to be people who try to go over you instead of around you...I just tried to get out of their way.   And when someone was a knucklehead infront of me I went around them instead of over them... the men are usually more agressive than the women.

When the gun goes off and the crazyness starts, there is only one thing you can do: keep going.  It will thin out and hopefully you'll get some semi-clean water.

Good luck!!  and talk to the athletes around you - the start is very very awesome!
2009-11-16 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2513635

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

rstocks3 - 2009-11-14 6:54 AM I am already jealous of you for saying that you're doing IM Cozumel but I'll chime in on your question anyways.

First of all, have a blast during the race and take it all in. As far as the IM swim start, it can be as "adventurous" or "fun" as you want it to be. For some people getting into "battle" with 2000 others, dodging feet, blocking elbows, swallowing gallons of water because some guy won't stop splashing water in your mouth on every stroke is adventurous and fun. For me, I just want to get from the start to the finish with as little contact as possible.

If you are a sub 55:00 swimmer then start front and center, close to the buoy line. There is some contact in the first few hundred yards but it thins out pretty fast and you can find a set of feet to lead you to the finish.

If you are in the 1:00:00 - 1:10:00 range you have a HUGE group to contend with. If you don't want the contact I recommend starting from the far outside and taking an angle to the first buoy then either "blend in" with the crowd or swing a bit outside for the calmer water. If you start even a couple hundred yards away from the buoy line you are only adding about 10 or 15 yds to your overall swim. (I think it's worth it to avoid the commotion) There is another option of swimming inside the buoys but more and more people are catching on to this one and swinging out to go around the turn buoy can be taking your life in the hands of the 500 other people funneling in to round the buoy.

The 1:15:00 - 1:30:00 range swimmers I would say to start outside and further back in the crowd. Talk to some athletes around you and find out what pace they are planning to swim. Don't be afraid to just sit back for 30 or 40 seconds and let the initial rush of arms and legs go by before starting your swim.

I had a friend at IMWI this year that had his goggles break right at the sound of the cannon. The nose piece sank to the bottom and the strap broke at the same time. He swam over to the ski ramp and fixed his goggles with the help of a kayaker and started the swim about 4:00 after the start in dead last. Still had a decent swim at a 1:10:33 with not much contact by swimming the course wide. This was only 5:00 off his normal time for his IM swims.

Having a blast is the main goal in any IM race for me. Time goals will still be met if you stay on top of your nutrition and you've put the training in.  Being in Cozumel would make that "having a blast" goal much easier!!

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Mr. Stocks did IM Moo this year and had a GREAT race.  I, on the other hand, am a sh1tty swimmer and just broke 1:52:00 on the swim since I am not a swimmer.  If you are somewhere inbetween, do what Bob stated, ask around you to find a comfortable group area so you won't get the snot beat out of ya.  It's unreal in the mass starts getting pummeled from all around you.  BEST ADVICE - DO NOT FREAK AND  STAY CALM!  Concentrate on your stroke, form, breathing, and sighting.  You'll do fine!

GOOD LUCK!!

2009-11-17 5:32 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-11-17 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2513641

cwsiii - 2009-11-14 8:05 AM Stay calm and keep your composure.  Are you going to get hit? Yes.  Are you going to get kicked? Yes.  Is there anything you can do about it? Not really.  The first few minutes will be crazy, but it will gradually space out.  Seed yourself according to your expected finish time, but do not get in the back if you are going to finish in the middle or front - more people to pass and kick you. A good, front quadrant swim technique helps as a blocking mechanism.

My best advice - enjoy it.  The mass start is an experience you will probably never forget, for whatever reason.  Starting with 2000 other people is a very special part of the IM experience.

Here is a training video with some good tips - it is funny because it is true, seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk

That video is freaking funny, but so true. 
Just did IMFL, and best thing I can say is stay calm...the madness does calm down. 
2009-11-18 12:25 PM

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Expect to be hit. In the face, in the back of the head, in the arms, legs... whatever.

If you know it's coming, it's no surprise. Just swim your swim.

I have a video of the IMWI swim start on my FB page... I'll find it and link it up here... (tonight) I can't get to FB from work.

Good Luck and have fun! No matter what! Kiss
2009-11-18 12:29 PM

Champion
MA
How fast do you swim?

Key is to place yourself in the right distance from starting line based on your pace as suggested above.

When I did IMLP I looked at times from the previous year and figured out where I would be in the group...way towards the back. I started at back knew I could swim along the buoy line that has a wire under it and stay out of traffic as very few folks would be near me as most were faster. Worked great and had a swim similar to what I expected with little contact.

If you are in the bell curve you will have contact. How many are doing Cozumeal? It may effect the contact as well as how large the area is you will be swimming in.
2009-11-18 3:35 PM

Elite
I just completed my first IM in Florida....I expected the worst going into the swim.  And when the cannon fired, it was actually much better than I had expected.  There was some contact, but I was able to swim pretty much where I wanted without issues.  (I started 3 people back, and really far outside the buoy line.)  I just swam for the turn buoy...about 700 yards out.  The race was fine, UNTIL the turn buoy.  Theres just so many people filling into the tight corners, theres little you can do except go WAY outside which I didn't do.  I got slapped around pretty hard, but got through it.  After the second turn buoy, the rest of the race swim was cake.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The mass swim start Rss Feed