General Discussion Race Reports! » Ace Of Spades Blue Moon Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ace Of Spades Blue Moon Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Palm Harbor, Florida
United States
American Running Company
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 33s
Overall Rank = 13/267
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/15
Pre-race routine:

I got up early and drove over to the race site. Took my supplements before walking to the race venue. I was nervous. I was really hoping my nutrition plan was gonna work. If the solution wasn't switching from E-gel back to Powergel, I was gonna be at a loss to know what my problem was.
Event warmup:

None...walked around...listened to my iPod a bit, to psyche myself up. I had decided to do a bunch of things differently. No music, Powergel instead of E-Gel, and Newtons instead of Spiras. I just tried to keep my mind in the game.
Run
  • 1h 28m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

At the start I took off slowly, I was nervous about how my nutrition was settling. I'd taken a gel about 10 minutes prior and drank some water. I felt it sloshing around, which made me wary of the way I was absorbing. At Mile 1, I still felt it there, but I felt fine. My pace was quick, in the 6:40's so I knew I was pushing it.

I saw Pete just after Mile 2 and he told me I was in 15th overall, 11th guy. Pete looked strong!

By Mile 3, the gel and water had absorbed and I was feeling okay. It had taken me THIS long to get to feeling comfortable. I hadn't raced in Newtons for a while so I'm sure I was just readjusting to the Newton running style. I had missed it. It felt good. My 3.1 mile split was just over 20 minutes so I knew I wasn't going TOO fast. This pace was good. I'd passed one male runner between Mile 3 and 4.

Took a gel at Mile 4 and some water...went down just fine and I kept going. I was still feeling really good, but knew that even last time at The Halloween Halfathon, I still felt good at Mile 4. Mile 10 was the breaking point.

I took a split at 6.2 miles and it was 40:51...only a few seconds slower than my 10K PR, so I got a little nervous, thinking I was going too fast...but I kept feeling good so I went with it.

Another gel at Mile 8, this is where I'd have started feeling bloated if it was gonna happen. I shot some water down and ran along. Mile 9 came and I didn't feel like I was holding the nutrition, it was absorbing...I let myself smile a bit.

Moment of truth...Mile 10. I was still running consistently at sub-6:45 pace and no cramping, no sloshing, no pain or power fall-off. It was working!! Saw Pete again...I waved (it was all I could do at that pace), and he yelled to me "just another 20 minutes...suck it up!!". So that's what I did...I had about 23 minutes to get to a sub-1:30 finish.

Up til about Mile 11 I'd been passing a bunch of people that I let get in front of me at the beginning of the race. But I wanted to conserve energy so I didn't make any more pushes for overall places. I knew I was in 13th, and I just wanted a top 20 finish so I was fine with this. I was 10th overall for men, and was content to stay there. I didn't want to lose it, but I wasn't gonna go for 9th or 8th. I needed to keep my energy constant. I did a really good job of it in this race. I think I've never been more consistent with my pace.

I was getting really ready to be done at Mile 12, so I just told myself to hang on and run it in. I was at 1:21 on the clock and I knew I'd have my PR if I just kept the pace up for the next mile. Soon I saw the turnoff to head back to the park and I looked at my watch. 1:27:54 was on the clock as I approached the 13 mile mark. Another few seconds and I was at the finish line, a new 13.1 mile PR of 1:28:33!

I figured I'd placed in my AG since I was 10th overall male and 13th overall runner. But nope...4 of the top 10 men were in 35-39 and I was the 4th! Ya just never know!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...this was my COMEBACK!!
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and food (something I haven't been able to do after a race all season because of the stomach problems), walked around, looked at results, went to the car to change clothes, waited for Pete to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

ARC has come a long way in recent years. They've been great with their race organization lately, been very thrilled with it. Enjoyable race, good venue, and great people!

Last updated: 2009-11-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:28:33 | 13.1 miles | 06m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/15
Overall: 13/267
Performance: Good
Course: South on the Pinellas trail 1.5 miles, back 1.5, then continue north for another 5 miles, back south for 5 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-17 1:21 PM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Subject: Ace Of Spades Blue Moon Half Marathon

2009-11-19 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2518140

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: RE: Ace Of Spades Blue Moon Half Marathon
I was there cheering you on!  (OK, I was there to cheer my hubby on, but he was waaaay behind you and I cheer for everyone).  Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ace Of Spades Blue Moon Half Marathon Rss Feed