General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those confused with piriformis / sciatica / hamstring / butt issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-19 9:09 PM

Subject: For those confused with piriformis / sciatica / hamstring / butt issues
http://www.agilept.com/high-hamstring-tendinopathy-in-runners.pdf

After 10 weeks of thinking I had piriformis, sciatica, etc, this article has really helped me out.

I feel like I have the exact same symptoms as the athlete, and recently got an MRI to check out my back.

Hopefully I can get it figured out, but I think I have a combo of the hamstring tendopathy and L5 bulge.

I noticed a lot of people dealing with the same issue, I hope this can help you all as much as it did me!

2009-11-19 10:04 PM
in reply to: #2522991

User image

Subject: RE: For those confused with piriformis / sciatica / hamstring / butt issues

Think your right, or it could all just be from the bulge? (I am no expert by any means)

I had similar issues after a 1/2IM Jan 09 with the feeling of a slight hamstring pull on the run, never fully went away, did another in Feb and ran with excrutiating Planter F pain, did a third in March wih a numb foot. Bad sciatica in May, MRI = L5S1 disk bulge, 3 months out and still in re-hab, no run, no ride! My hamstrings feel like they are pulled at different times during the day?

Interesting article, will pass on to my Doc! Be keen to hear how you get on.

Good luck!

2009-11-19 10:26 PM

Subject: RE: For those confused with piriformis / sciatica / hamstring / butt issues
I dont have the MRI review till Monday. I found the article interesting in that the athlete had her disc bulge cured, and then the hamstring thing show up 2 years later.

Just a second ago I tried to do the "Supine Plank test" in the article, un-injured side was fine, but when I tried to hold up on my injured side my hip just fell to the floor.

2009-11-28 5:08 PM

Bedford, NH, USA
Diagnosed with pyriformis syndrom Apr08 and sacroiliac syndrome Oct08, but my chiro had me get an MRI and I had an L4 herniation. Sometimes the GPs & PTs need to use the expensive diagnostics but are driven "the system" to avoid costs.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those confused with piriformis / sciatica / hamstring / butt issues Rss Feed