General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brooks Adrenaline vs. Mizuno Wave Inspire?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-21 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: Brooks Adrenaline vs. Mizuno Wave Inspire??
Looking for some input about these shoes.  I have worn out several pair of the Inspires (4 and 5's) but was wondering if anyone has used both shoes and any particular pros and cons to either.  I really like the Mizunos but wonder if the Brooks might be better.

The last time I tried a different shoe I was quite unsatisfied.  I tried the Asics 2140's and found them less forgiving to my knees.  I think they over corrected my mild over-pronation.  I retired them from running after only 200 miles.

Also if anyone has worn the Inpsires and any other shoes that compare I wouldn't mind hearing about them too.  However I don't think my LRS carries Saucony.

2009-11-21 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2524904

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Brooks Adrenaline vs. Mizuno Wave Inspire??
I had the Wave inspire 5's for about 200 miles.  They completely broke down on the outside edge of the shoe.  Took them back to whee I bought them and they had no suggestion other than running more off road and just getting used to them. 

After showing the shoes to a sales person at another sporting goods store, he showed me why my feet hurt and how the Mizuno's had broken down.  I left with a pair of Asics GT 2140's which I had before I bought the Mizuno's.  The only reason I purchased the Mizuno's in the first place was the salesperson said that they were what I needed. 

From now on, I am going to stick with what my feet tell me they need. 

2009-11-21 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2524910

User image

Master

I have not tried the Wave Inspires, but I have tried the Mizuno Wave Riders.  I wore the Brooks Adrenalines for about 8 years before switching to the Brooks Defyance 2s this year for less motion control.

If the Wave Inspires and the Wave Riders have the same last (like the Adrenaline and Defyance do), then this advice will be helpful.  If not, please ignore.  The Wave Riders are too narrow in the toebox for me.  I'm used to the roomyness of the Brooks Adrenalines and now the Brooks Defyance, especially on longer runs when my feet swell.  The Wave Riders pinch my toes on my bigger foot).

If you are looking for less motion control, I'm having good success with the Defyance 2s since they fit just like the Adrenalines.  I've also heard great things about the Brooks Ravennas, but they don't come in my size.

2009-11-21 4:07 PM

Regular
North Tonawanda NY
Ive tried both shoes and I liked the brooks adrenaline more, not by a massive amount the over all feel was more preferable.
2009-11-21 4:07 PM
in reply to: #2524934

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Mrs. brown_dog_us - 2009-11-21 11:23 AM

I have not tried the Wave Inspires, but I have tried the Mizuno Wave Riders.  I wore the Brooks Adrenalines for about 8 years before switching to the Brooks Defyance 2s this year for less motion control.

If the Wave Inspires and the Wave Riders have the same last (like the Adrenaline and Defyance do), then this advice will be helpful.  If not, please ignore.  The Wave Riders are too narrow in the toebox for me.  I'm used to the roomyness of the Brooks Adrenalines and now the Brooks Defyance, especially on longer runs when my feet swell.  The Wave Riders pinch my toes on my bigger foot).

If you are looking for less motion control, I'm having good success with the Defyance 2s since they fit just like the Adrenalines.  I've also heard great things about the Brooks Ravennas, but they don't come in my size.

What about the cushioning for both Brooks shoes?  One of the reasons I like the Mizuno's is the cushioning and I am not sure I can take anything much firmer.  I have had a couple of knee surgeries and I am looking to maintain a similar softness. 

2009-11-21 4:42 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I was an ASIC Gel user prior to Brooks...and have been running in Adrenalines for years now. love em.

BUT I too had knee and foot problems, flat foot syndrome...bad pronation...UNTIL I discovered SuperFeet. I feel like a sales guy on this product, but it really did change my running life.

SuperFeet Green insoles really made a huge difference in my running...the knee and foot pains disappeared. no matter what shoe I had prior, nothing seemed to "solve" the problem, until the SuperFeet insole.

I don't know if different shoes plus SuperFeet would still work as well, I haven't experimented enough.

Recently I switched to SuperFeet Orange, because it has a gel forefoot layer that helps with metatarsal pain. the support is still adequate for protecting my knees/feet.

2009-11-22 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2525156

User image

Master

The Brooks Defyance and Adrenalines and Mizuno Wave Riders seem to me to have comparable amounts of cushioning.  Upon initial lace-up, the Mizuno feels "softer" but I've noticed absolutely no difference in impact on my ankles/knees on a long run. 

In fact, I had more knee pain with the Wave Riders but I think that was pronation-related and not a cusioning issue.

2009-11-22 9:07 AM

User image

Buttercup
The Adrenaline is a more aggressive shoe; it is for more severe pronation. A comparable Mizuno would be the Alchemy.

Brooks makes the Ravenna for mild pronation; that's more comparable to the Mizuno Inspire. It really comes down to personal fit and what feels more natural to your feet. 

If you are looking for a more high mileage shoe + mild pronation correction, then try the Mizuno Nirvana or the Brooks Infiniti.

ETA: The Brooks Defyance mentioned above is a neutral shoe; it is not for pronators. 

Edited by Renee 2009-11-22 9:19 AM
2009-11-22 3:23 PM

New user

Look at this post above and it is very correct. I will also add that Ravenna has a narrow toe box and heel section compared to Inspire 4 and 5. Ravenna has more forefoot cushioning and is more flexible in the toe section. It is also meant for somewhat of a mid-fore foot strike. I found Ravenna's rebound excellent for my style and prefer it over Inspire 4 that I have spent last 2 years running in. I have put 65mi on Ravenna so far since the switch and personally like it a little more. 
Adrenaline GTS 9 or 10 my have little more pronation control that you would like. My wife runs in GTS 9 and loves it absolutely, but she pronates more than I do according to video analysis.
For a reference, I am 5'9", 152lbs, 50-60mi/week lately, racing shoes are Fastwitch 3 and Zoot Tempo + 2.0, Ravenna as a daily trainer.

Edited by stasic 2009-11-22 3:24 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brooks Adrenaline vs. Mizuno Wave Inspire?? Rss Feed