Ironman North America
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 02m 51s
Overall Rank = 1417/
Age Group = W 30-34
Age Group Rank = 61/122
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4am. I slept great and had an unusual calm over me. I made a cup of coffee and had a bagel with peanut butter and banana. Scott got up shortly after me and made his own breakfast. We woke up my brother Brad who was driving us down to the race start and we were out the door by 4:50am.
Event warmup:

Scott and I got to the race site and put our last minute things in our gear bags. We checked our bikes and then stood in line for the bathroom! We found our fellow Wilmington peeps, got our wetsuits on and stood at the swim start and waiting to jump in the water. I was nervous, but felt confident.
Swim
  • 1h 26m 30s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was really nervous about the swim start. I had heard horror stories and since swimming is not my strong event I didn't know what to expect. A few of my friends who had done this race before told me to start at the back. My friend John, Scott and I all started as far back as we could and close to the buoy line. We didn't have anyone behind us. Once the gun went off we counted to 5, let everyone else go and then found our spots. I had a good swim. I didn't get punched, hit or pushed under the water at all. I kept my calm and was able to make to the turn around with no problem. Trying to get around the buoys was a little tricky as everyone seemed to be getting there at the same time. This where a little bit of kicking started. I tried to protect my head and stomach so I would get punched or kicked. I found it hard to 'swim' around the buoy's so I did the side stroke and this seemed to work. Once I got around and was heading back things seemed to go ok. I think I zig-zagged the entire way back. At first I was on the far right and then all of a sudden I found myself on the far left. I had to keep swimming toward to the middle in order to go on the right hand side of the people on kayaks. When I saw the swim finish I felt great. I got out of the water, and didn't even check my watch. I had told my family and friends it would take me close to 2 hrs but to my surprise I was under 1 hr and 30 mins!

The water was sooo cold but I think double capping and wearing ear plugs made a HUGE difference.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...not being a great swimming I felt this was a good performance for me!
Transition 1
  • 08m 22s
Comments:

My legs and felt were numb coming out of the water. My hands were as well and I felt like I was all 'thumbs'. After getting my wetsuit stripped off me and being handed my bag I headed to the change tent. I had to do a 'total' change and was shocked as to how helpful the volunteers were. They were like angels! They dumped my bag, helped me change and repacked my bag. I felt like I had my mom right in the tent with me!

Probably nothing...I know it saves time when you don't do a total change but it's a long time on the bike and I'd rather be comfy. The few minutes extra it takes to change is minimal compared to being cold or uncomfortable.
Bike
  • 6h 27m 34s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.34 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was good...but 3 loops is challenging mentally! My first and third loops were my best. Loop 2 I struggled...but I got through it. AbbieR passed me near the end of the 2nd loop and saw me when I was feeling my worst! The wind changed direction each loop. On loop 1 and 2 there was a headwind on the way up and then a tailwind on the way back. I looked down at my speedometer and at times going uphill I was only doing 13 mph. The only thing that kept my sanity was knowing once I turned around I would be cruising downhill. I felt like I was drinking a lot but I had no urge to pee during the entire bike and was started to get nervous. I didn't want to get dehydrated. I drank about 50% water and 50% Gatorade on the bike. By the time I got off the bike I was soooo done with Lemon Lime Gatorade. I had trained with it all year and by the time the IM finally came I was already sick of it. I stopped for my halfway bag and ate my peanut butter and jam pita pocket. Altogether on the bike I ate 2 Powerbars, my pb and jam pita, a pack of pb crackers, one pack of sports bean and one gel.

Nothing...I had no expectations for my bike as I had never rode 112 miles (100 miles was my longest bike ride to date) so I was pleased. Since I didn't have any expectations I had no disappointment!
Transition 2
  • 05m 44s
Comments:

Again my angels were in the change tent to help me change. The first thing I did when I got off the bike was remove my bike shoes which I must say was the best feeling in the world at that time! I only changed my shorts for the run...and then FINALLY took my first pee break!

Nothing...this went smoothly
Run
  • 4h 54m 43s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

My marathon started out great. I felt pretty good on the first loop around the lake. I was able to run without stopping until mile 13 and then my legs and mind shut down. I had to walk. I started to feel a little whoozy and my eyes were seeing stars. My legs would not move either...I was dehydrated and realized I had not eaten enough. In fact I did not eat a thing the first 13 miles on the run. Unfortunately I walked from miles 13-18. I was very disappointed in myself as running is my strength. At mile 18 I came around and there was my family, Ross and Daradee (Liam's parents who was the baby I was raising money in memory of for the Janus Charity Challenge). Ross kept telling me to be strong...one more loop to go and suddenly I was able to run again. I ran the entire last loop and with 2 miles to go I felt GREAT! I ran a good pace to the finish! My family wasn't expecting me so soon so they were not at the finish line but when they saw me they ran along beside the crowd! When I finished I felt AWESOME!!

I would definately eat more on the run and work on my nutrition plan. And I think during training I would do MORE long bricks
Post race
Warm down:

Celebrated with my family, Ross and Daradee and waited on the sidelines to watch Scott finish!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition

Event comments:

I loved EVERY minute of my first IM experience. It still has not sunk in yet!

Without a doubt this will not be my last IM! I can't wait to do it again!!

Last updated: 2008-12-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:26:30 | 4224 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 82/122
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: 1 big loop of Tempe Town Lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 08:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:27:34 | 112 miles | 17.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 68/122
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: 3 loop course
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:54:43 | 26.2 miles | 11m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 59/122
Performance: Below average
Course: 3 loops around Tempe Town Lake
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-11-29 8:50 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2009-11-29 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2534386

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Same as you, I cannot wait until my next one. You had a great race! AND NOW YOU CAN PROUDLY SAY I AM AN IRONMAN! Not too many can say that. You performed great and I'm glad someone here wasn't complaining, most race reports it seems they didn't enjoy the race, and isn't that why we do this?. If you don't feast on it, don't do it.

Congratulations, IRONMAN!!
2009-11-29 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
congrats!
2009-11-29 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2534462

User image

Elite
SE
yes, i see alot of parallels in our races, and man am i proud of you too! well done canadarn!
2009-11-29 5:21 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

WooHoo! Congrats Ironman!

I agree, the girls in the tent were angels! Glad you had a good experience on your first IM and way to finish strong after some problems on the run

Well done!

2009-11-29 5:36 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Great race, you were so consistent out there. I agree, I loved the volunteers, had to laugh when you compared them to being like your mom, so true. Congrats!

2009-11-30 1:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congratulations on a fantastic race. It was great how you were able to run again at the end of the marathon...You really should be proud. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet last weekend. Maybe we will sometime at another IM? 

Again, congratulations Ironman!

Edited by DoloresM2 2009-11-30 1:10 AM
2009-11-30 7:18 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

I knew you'd do great!  I'm just worried about a good Canadian girl complaining about the cold water.  Living down south has softened you up to much

2009-11-30 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Fantastic!  Simply, fantastic!!  Didn't you feel like a superstar the entire day??  Well, that's because you are !  Where will you do your next one?
2009-11-30 9:37 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Great job out there!!  AWESOME seeing you on the bike, too bad we didn't have more time to chat   Congrats and welcome to the Ironman family, there's just nothing like it!!
2009-12-01 5:30 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
NICE JOB!!!

Wish I had been able to follow you on the bike!

2009-12-01 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Congratulations Ironman!!! You rock!!
2009-12-02 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Amazing!!! Let it sink in! You are an Ironman!!!!

Great race report. I think I almost choked up there when you were talking about your family running along side so they could see you at the finish.  Not much more to ask for.

Congratulations!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed