General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Urgent Speed training help needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-05 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Essex
Subject: Urgent Speed training help needed

Hi, i just competed in the National Triathlon Youth Championships in England and i came third overall. I was racing the best in the country so i rather impressed myself, as well as all the others there

Theres a race called Eton Supersprints at the start of next month and it is a race qualification race. If i come in the top 3, i get to go to Greece to compete for Great Britain.

Does anybody know of any workout sessions i can do that will dramatically improve my strength/speed on the bike/run within the next month so that i can blow the field away?

Help would be appriciated

Thanks

2005-06-05 11:52 AM
in reply to: #168878

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Urgent Speed training help needed
Billy,

Congratulations! I can't help much with the speed work, though. I was happy to not finish last in my recent triathlon. Good luck. Do you have a coach? mabye now is a good time to get one.

Suzanne
2005-06-05 12:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Hey Billy, congrats on the good finish. I remember seeing your name in 220 (yup we get that in the states) a month or so ago. Good job!

What are the distances you have raced and will be racing? Expected times?

As far as bike speed workouts, sorry don't know any good ones. For running, lets see. From my track days, we would do half mile repeats, quarter repeats, ladders (200-400-600-400-200), etc... Do you train by pace or HR? Give me some info and I'll see what I can come up with. If you already have a good track background, you probably already know what I'll tell you though.

Good luck
2005-06-05 9:28 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
If the race is a month away then you really only have 3 weeks to work with so you can properly taper.  Hit the track and do 6X800m repeats one week, 4Xmile repeats the next and 8X400m repeats the next.  Be sure to have an easy recovery or rest day immediately after.  I'm not sure realistically how much you can improve in 3 weeks but it's worth a shot.  Just be careful not to try to doo too much...1-2 hard days per week, NO MORE.
2005-06-06 2:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Essex

Was that result you saw in the Indoor Triathlon at an Expo?

Races i have done:

Triathlons:

400m / 10k/ 2.5k

400m / 21k/ 5k

400m/20k/ 7k

Swimming

1500m TT - 18.54

Running

5 miles - 29.29

I train by pace and how i feel. I dont bother looking at heart rates most of the time. I know by how i feel how hard i am working etc. 

I swim 3x1 hr a week

I run 2x1 hr a week

I cycle about 3-4 hours

2005-06-06 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
WOW Congratulations!

My 2c: Quick improvement you could gain by improving your poisture - ChiRunning book can offer instant help. It is about improving biodynamics to get out more speed out of what you already have. As I can see from your avatar, you could use some advice there.

Just don't overdo! and keep us posted!

2005-06-06 3:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Essex
From looking at my picture, what can you tel? 
2005-06-07 2:33 AM
in reply to: #169694

User image

Extreme Veteran
billypb - 2005-06-06 9:07 PMFrom looking at my picture, what can you tel? 

well, I have no knowledge of my own, I can say what I've red from Peter Egoscue and Danny Dreyer: I see that your feet point outward, and that affect your knee joint, as well as your hip position. Accordindg to what those guys say, sceleton is designed for rigt-angular position, that is hard for me to explain on my english.

Bottom line is that feet should point forward, because knees are designed to swing in direction of toes. So if your toes point outward and your leg swings straight forward it destabilises your knees. Which in turn tilts hips backward. Hips should be tucked under. It is not only good for your joints&ligaments but also ensures better efficiency, better usage of force you have.

Only thing I know from experience is that when I red Danny Dreyer's book I instantly "run" faster (well it is not running yet, i am at very beginning with everything). But in his book Danny promises everyone injury-free 30% better output on their current level of fitness. That promise is not mumbo-jumbo, it is real, based on sound evidence. Better form leads to better performance, like in swimming.

Danny uses gravity for added speed in form of lean from his ancles, and he uses mainly big quad muscles for running instead of small calf muscles. So these are 2 additional sources of power. And his hands move differently. He explained everything very thoroughly. BTW he was in top 3 in his AG in all 40 races he run except one so he sure knows what he is talking. (He is ultra maratoner but you could sure find something useful for yourself.)

ChiRunning is known as Total Imersion for running. So i would suggest you to read a book or listen to a tape ASAP. it is on www.ChiRunning.com Considering the stake, it would be wise investment towards the Greece, what I want you from whole my heart!

keep well and do your best possible!

2005-06-07 6:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington DC
Working on your technique in all three sports will pay dividends more quickly than hard training. Train your tail off for sure, but the way to cut time quickly is to become more efficient. This is true for all three triathlon segments.

Have you used sodium phosphate - the active ingredient in e-Caps Race Day Boost? This is a natural substance, found in a hamburger or chicken breast, that will help your blood carry about 1% more oxygen. We'd need to eat 16 chicken breasts a day to get enough. Write me for more details.

One of the other posts suggested a coach. If you are interested in a coach, I am one of the best. I have worked with the top junior triathlete and duathete in the US since he was 14. Steven Duplinski won USAT Under-20 Nationals in both triathlon and duathlon last year - outrunnign the 2nd place guy by 26 seconds per mile -0 averaging 4:39 off the bike. My clients, both professional and amateur, have won 13 national championships in four sports.

You might also be interested in my book The Triathlete's Guide to Run Training or the video Joe Friel and I produced called Evolution Running: Run Faster with Fewer Injuries. Both are available, along with information about our coaching staff, at at www.Fitness-Concepts.com
Good luck, Ken
2005-06-07 8:02 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Well I never competed in the pool past the national level, but one piece of advice is that whatever you do, visualize yourself winning, and doing better than you thought possible. You want to prep your mind as well as your nutrition and body getting into this race. Sorry to be so blunt, but all your hard training (and it looks like a lot) can only be beneficial if you use 100% of your potential on race day.

Seriously, congrats on getting this far, but as you mentionned, it's a good start. Good luck to you.

Edited by So Fresh So Clean 2005-06-07 8:03 PM
2005-06-07 8:17 PM

New user
Well I think that you'll do better in your next tri just do to the fact that you know your capabilities and the mental game is so much in this sport. Never doubt yourself, never settle, and be confident. The best advice though to get you faster for your next tri would be to (if already done do it more) incorporate some weight training. That and get your nutrition down to a science and be strict as hell about it. The one thing that's going to help you improve fastest will be sleep and nutrition. That and as mentioned before get a coach to get your form down on your run and bike. That's the best advice I can give you but being such an experienced athlete I'm sure those are no new concepts to you.

2005-06-07 8:18 PM

New user
Well I think that you'll do better in your next tri just do to the fact that you know your capabilities and the mental game is so much in this sport. Never doubt yourself, never settle, and be confident. The best advice though to get you faster for your next tri would be to (if already done do it more) incorporate some weight training. That and get your nutrition down to a science and be strict as hell about it. The one thing that's going to help you improve fastest will be sleep and nutrition. That and as mentioned before get a coach to get your form down on your run and bike. That's the best advice I can give you but being such an experienced athlete I'm sure those are no new concepts to you.

PS. I analyzed your pic and ditching the farmers tan will shave at least 20 seconds off your time.
2005-06-07 11:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Camarillo, California
Is it ITU or draft legal. If its ITU you should fly out to Bellingham, Washington for the Jr. National Elite race. Top 3 from each country go to Jr. Worlds in Gamagori, Japan where allll the best go. If you would need someone to stay with you would be able to stay with me and my tri team.

Edited by gocorey 2005-06-07 11:40 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Urgent Speed training help needed Rss Feed