Canada
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 57s
Overall Rank = 433/477
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 71/73
Pre-race routine:

Woke up exatly 3 hours before race time - which looking back - was cutting it close. Took a warm bath (a tradition I inherited from my Dad before all the road races he used to do) and read a Tri magazine. Had 2 packs of oatmeal for breakfast (as I watched Ironman 2004 on TV), and little bit of water. Woke up Donna - and started to get things going. Left 1.5 hours before race time, stopped at Tims, ate a muffin and a small coffee. Got to race site...
Event warmup:

88% humidity - 25 degrees. Really hot - maybe not Guatamala hot - but humidity killed. Got all set up. Great transition spot - right beside the rail so Donna could see me during transition. Got everything set up, then went to see the water. Came back, put on the wetsuit and went to try it out for the first time. Really cold - it is Canada - but suit was AWESOME! Really happy. Little water got in, but nothing major. Could only really do a couple of breaths - my lungs were in shock. Wasent a good feeling, but got used to. Race started in 10 minutes. 1st wave were the pros at 9:43, we went out at 9:45pm (Male - 30-39 and Female 20-29). Didnt stretch at all. Which I would change - should of done that - but typical Phil - no stretching.
Swim
  • 16m 54s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

Got a great spot - right in line with the buoys. Got comfortable. No kicks, little contact. Was happy to ease in it. First marker was good, felt like I was in line with it for most of first leg. 2nd leg, veared off to the right too much. This is the point that my head games started. Felt good - just started already with the "you going to do 2km of this in 1 month!" which was a persistant negative thought in my head for most of the day. 3rd leg was good. 4th leg, veared a bit again to the right. For my first open swim ever - was ok. Did vear off a bit, so that added some distance, and cold water hurt the lungs which has an effect but was happy.
What would you do differently?:

- Have to work on my sighting more - but that just comes with experience I'm sure.

Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

No problems in transition. Everything laid out fine. Was not searching for anything. Wetsuit came off with ease (did put the glide on before I put on the suit). After wetsuit came off, sat down to dry off the feet and throw socks on. Gave Donna a kiss and was gone...

- Put suntan lotion on better - maybe get a spray kind for easy application. Missed the calves!
Bike
  • 1h 12m
  • 30 kms
  • 25.00 km/hr
Comments:

Felt ok - strapped in and settled into aero position. Got up a little more than 3/4 of the 6th line hill - and unlocked - and hike-a-bike. Had nothing left. Got to the top of the hill, and really thought I was going to puke. Did not feel good. Really wish I had my HR monitor on because I think it was about 180. Not good. Took a few seconds, caught my breathe, calmed down, told the inner demon in my head to shut up (you cant even bike 5km without getting off and resting - you think your going to 90km in 1 month!). Got going again - and felt a bit better. Really had a tough time in the bike. Major negative thoughts. Partly I think - becasue I had a LOT of people blowing by me like I was standing still. Averaged out 21.2km/hour - and that included by big hike-a-bike. Fiannly told myself that you have about 6 waves of starts behind you that would be in front of you anyway. Only passed 2 people on the bike the WHOLE 30km. And that was only because I passed them on the downhill portion of 6th Hill - I reached a max speed of 65km/h! Was motoring - and was so much fun! Stayed in aero position for most of the race - which surprised me. I acutally managed to open my PowerBar Harvet Bar during the bike in that position which was good.

In all - bike was disappointing. Felt slow - lots of negative thoughts about what the hell I was doing, my training, me actually thinking about Peterborough, and on and on...sucked ass at chaning gears too. Got to read more about that.

- Stay more positive. Must have thoughts to fall back on.
- Learn how to change gears
- Train more :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Good transition again - no problems. Changed shoes, and that was it. Gave Donna another kiss and was off.

- Nothing. Happy with it.
Run
  • 51m 23s
  • 7.5 kms
  • 06m 51s  min/km
Comments:

Was slow...not much left in my legs. Had to stop a bit - great number of water stations - so walked though all of them. Really didnt find my legs till about 4km into race - but honestly - didnt really get them back. Splits were slow - about 7-7:30/km. From 5km-6km - posted a 6:20 km - dont know what the hell happened there - but knew it was faster.

- Two words - "BRICK WORK" Need to do more of this. Paid the price.
Post race
Warm down:

- Ya right. Got some food, sat in the grass with Donna and ate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

- Ummmm...because I didnt train enough?

Event comments:

Glad I did it. Gave me a really good sense of where I'm at. Will give myself 24-48 hours to sink in and make a decision.

Last updated: 2005-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:54 | 750 meters | 02m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 58/73
Overall: 342/477
Performance: Good
Suit: Predator 2 - Full Suit
Course: In a small lake, visable from the 401 in Milton. Good course. Really cold water!
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:00 | 30 kms | 25.00 km/hr
Age Group: 72/73
Overall: 452/477
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Ok...HILLY! I read about the infamous 6th Line hill about 3km into the race. It was a 1.4km long hill - that had some major incline.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:23 | 07.5 kms | 06m 51s  min/km
Age Group: 68/73
Overall: 416/477
Performance: Average
Course: 1st 500m of course on brutal rocky terrain and a nice hill AS SOON as you get out of transition area - hello jello legs. 1.5km or so on highway - then into the woods for an AWESOME 2km trail run. Then back on the highway and back into the park. Really nice run route - little spoiled I think.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-05 5:03 PM

User image

Subject: Milton Triathlon

2005-06-05 5:22 PM
in reply to: #168989

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Milton Triathlon
Congratulations.  Sounds like you had fun.  Was this your first race?  Just go do some hill work abnd you will be fine.  Take care and train hard -SMO
2005-06-05 5:41 PM

Elite Veteran
I'm with Sue, was this your first race? Rather than go negative, I read your report and think you found a way to get it done when the going got tough. Congratulations.
2005-06-05 5:51 PM

User image

I agree, your first triathlon is supposed to be a mental and physical challenge, no matter the distance.  It sounds like you were very aware of your thoughts and your body.  It will only get better....

Congratulations!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Milton Triathlon Rss Feed