Thailand
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 12m
Overall Rank = 92/730
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 19/168
Pre-race routine:

With far too much work in the preceding months, and not enought time to train, I decided to race at a lower pace and leave the watch, HR monitor, computer, etc at home. While I did not really stick to the 80% plan, starting off slower allowed me to race a much smarter race.

The Phuket Tri is set on the Thai island of Phuket in the Laguna Beach complex. A great set up for the family. The night before the race we (the family) went to the pasta dinner, which was sold out. All the big-hitter pros were there eating with the other racers. I ate a little too much, call it carbo loading.

Went to bed. Woke up at 0300 to eat a few bananas. Went back to bed. Woke up at 0500 and sneaked out of the room to head over to T1 with my bike. T1 was about 1 mile away from the hotel. I got there early, only to figure out that I left my bib back in the room. Panic! Called my wife (woke her up) and asked her to meet m half way; which she did. She is awsome.

Raced back to T1 and got set up. Took the ferry over to the start. Have to admit that despite not planning to 'race' the race, I was as nervous as usual.
Event warmup:

Did not really do any warm up. Sat on the beach and engaged in nervous chatter with the other athletes.
Swim
  • 27m 26s
  • 1800 meters
  • 01m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started on the far left side to try and stay away from the crowds. The sea was an awesome temp. Got into a nice even pace. Rounding the buoys was a little rough as they had sail boats anchored to the buoys, but the winds had pushed the sail boats into the path of the swimmers. I ended up swimming under the boat vs. going around.

The 100 meter run from sea to lagoon was up and over a large sand dune. Into the lagoon, which had to be 90F. Hot + loaded with sea grass + +. Came out of the swim looking like the creature from the black lagoon.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. With virtually no training, came out in the top 3% of the AG. Very happy
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

Took a little too much time putting on socks, eating a gel, etc. Guess I figure I was still operating at 80%.

Hussel up.
Bike
  • 1h 45m 10s
  • 55 kms
  • 31.38 km/hr
Comments:

Had heard about 'the hills', but had seriously underestimated how steep they would be. On all three hills I was down in 34 / 25, standing up, huffin' and puffin' my way up the hills. Really steep. At one point, the thought crossed my mind that maybe I would have been faster pushing the bike up the hill.

After the hills the course had some gentle hills and some beautiful scenery - beaches, ocean views, pineapple plantation, etc. The course does double back on itself a few times so you can see the other racers. Did notice a couple of large packs (pelotons).

Great support all along the bike course.

Some more hill training would be nice! Other than that it was a great bike race for me. I am usualy in the middle/ back of the pack. To finish in the top third is great for me. Very happy.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

T2 went pretty well. Racked the bike, changed shoes and headed off on the run.
Run
  • 55m 11s
  • 12 kms
  • 04m 36s  min/km
Comments:

By the time I reached T2 the temp had picked up into the 90sF wth lots of humidity. Without a watch I opted to run a moderate pace as I did not want to blow-up and have to walk. Ran about 28 min for the first lap and then slowly picked up the pace on the second lap and ran a 27 min for the second lap.

The run had water, Gatorade and sponges every 3 km.

Had a great run considering the lack of training.
Post race
Warm down:

Hit the food buffet at the finish line, met the family and headed to the beach/pool for a burger and a nap :) Great way to finish a race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited training opportunities.

Event comments:

This is a GREAT destination race. Highly recommended.

Last updated: 2009-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:26 | 1800 meters | 01m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/168
Overall: 36/730
Performance: Good
Suit: tri shorts
Course: 1.2 km swim in the Andaman Sea -> 100 meter run on the beach to a lagoon -> 600 meter swim in an agley laden lagoon.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 26C / 79F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:47
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:45:10 | 55 kms | 31.38 km/hr
Age Group: 54/168
Overall: 226/730
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: One lap course with 3 major hills in the first 13 km. Each hill was about 500' of verticle.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average