Elite Racing
30sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 13m 50s
Overall Rank = 4537/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 264/
Pre-race routine:

Hot Shower, drank some coffee. Never at anything before the race...Had ate the Luxor Buffet the night before. So I figured I had done enough replenishment and restocked my carbs. That's one good thing about being 215.
Went through the Mandalay Bay with the crowd and hung out watching the crowd and just chilled out (no pun intended). Kept thinking all these other runners are so nervous about the upcoming event and I've already done one only a couple hours earlier.
Event warmup:

Nothing. I don't need no stinking warmup. Squeezed into Corral #6 and shivered there for about 10 minutes and then finally the national anthems, flying Elvis and fireworks.
Run
  • 5h 13m 50s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

All that was needed was to finish. Get the two marathons in two days Quest. But as I went over the timing mat at the start line, legs felt decent, and just went with the flow and got into a comfortable pace. The cold kept my mind distracted, plus the crowds were pretty good.
Ran with David A. another MM from Vancouver BC, and that made the miles go by swiftly. Again I had no problems with HR and Lungs, but muscles and joints restricted anything faster.
Anytime that I came upon a cheer squad, did the high five and whooped it up with them....nothing better to get the heart rate racing than that...
Bands were ok or when they took breaks and had a tape on...(heard OK GO, Here We Go Again) twice. Love the song and it got into my head for extra miles.
Always nice to give shout outs and waves to other MM. Got a lot of "hey which IM did you do"? Seems like the IM are so long ago.
Finally around mile 21, dug my phone out to let my wife know that I was on the final stretch and would be at finish line at a certain time. Again I amazed myself that I had ran most of the way, except for walking the aid stations....
Mile 24.5 and 25 had two overpasses to climb (ok, I did walk those 200 yards or so)
Going down the overpasses kinda hurt and did it gingerly, made the final turn pass a aid station and ran the final mile (same finish as last year) on the service road behind Mandalay Bay. Can't remember if they called out my name at the finish or not.
Happy to be done, since I knew I developed some blistering on a toe (previously a blood blister).

What would you do differently?:

Training and Weight loss.
Post race
Warm down:

I never care too much about eating right afterward. Did grab a bagel to chew on. Grabbed one water, knew I wasn't dehydrated since I made 4 Porta Potty visits during the race...
Wobbled back through Mandalay
Bay to Luxor.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Age, lack of training, weight, and having done 26.2 miles less than 24 hours earlier.

Event comments:

My third Vegas marathon, did the old one that started in Jean, which was ok, and did last years with the Devine Group running it, and now a R&R event. I've read about the yeas and nays of others.
Me personally, I liked the event, I know that by the time I get to some of the later bands, they might not being playing (big deal) aid stations don't always have to be fully manned, just as long as I can grab a water jug to fill up my bottle.
Think the cold put a damper on some of the crowd support, but being cold kept the worries of overheating and dehyrdrating.
Started to think about the doability of a triple?

Last updated: 2009-08-22 12:00 AM
Running
05:13:50 | 26.2 miles | 11m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Mile 1 (9:45) and then miles slipped into the 10 minute range. My Timex IM watch is crappy, when I hit the split button it will double tap and give me an extra quick lap or If I don't press the button just right it won't beep and change.
Course: Both sides of the strip were closed from Mandalay Bay all the way up to past the Stratosphere. Marathoners turned off on the return portion and went out west for a big loop. Fairly flat and good street surface.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes