General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arthroscopy Surgery - Shoulder - Anyone had it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-16 9:15 PM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Subject: Arthroscopy Surgery - Shoulder - Anyone had it?
I have had shoulder pain for about 3 mos now.  Swam a ton during the season last year no problems.  Did my last race end of Sept, took a few weeks off and all of a sudden my shoulder starts hurting.  It hurts on the top of my arm but on the bottom of the big part of my shoulder.  I would say the crease.  Went to the doc a couple of months ago and he says it tendinitis/bursitis in my rotator cuff.  Mind you, my actually shoulder/top of my shoulder does not hurt.  Doc says it referred pain.  So he gives me a cortisone shot and I go to PT for a while and continue to do it at home.  Got a little better for about a month but then came back worse.  So the doc sends me for a MRI.  Which shows no tear but does have the bursitis/tendinitis - doc calls it impingement.

The doc says we can either do arthroscopy and clean out the shoulder or try another cortisone shot and more PT.  But he says that that most likely won't work since it didn't the first time.

Here is my problem - I am getting new insurance in Jan and going up to a very high deductible.  For this year I have met my deductible so surgery will be very low cost.  The doc can fit me in on Jan 30th.  But should I do it???  Surgery is so scary, and what I'm most scared about is the recovery.

So tell me, who has had arthroscopy surgery on their shoulder and what is the recovery like?  If I have it on a Wed will I be able to go back to work the following Mon and type and write (it of course is my right shoulder and I'm right handed).  Doc office says I can but won't want to be there forever.  Also, what about running and biking?  He says I can do that pretty much right away after I feel better.  But what does that mean?  Will I be back to running in a week?  No problem swinging my arms?  Biking?  Will I be able to put weight on my arm/shoulder?  I know I'll be out of swimming for 2-3 mos and I can live with that.

On the other hand - if I don't have it will I regret it and need it soon anyway?

What to do, what to do????  And so little time to decide!

Thanks for any advice especially from anyone who has been there.

2009-12-17 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2563626

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Arthroscopy Surgery - Shoulder - Anyone had it?

Lisa B - 2009-12-16 10:15 PM I have had shoulder pain for about 3 mos now.  Swam a ton during the season last year no problems.  Did my last race end of Sept, took a few weeks off and all of a sudden my shoulder starts hurting.  It hurts on the top of my arm but on the bottom of the big part of my shoulder.  I would say the crease.  Went to the doc a couple of months ago and he says it tendinitis/bursitis in my rotator cuff.  Mind you, my actually shoulder/top of my shoulder does not hurt.  Doc says it referred pain.  So he gives me a cortisone shot and I go to PT for a while and continue to do it at home.  Got a little better for about a month but then came back worse.  So the doc sends me for a MRI.  Which shows no tear but does have the bursitis/tendinitis - doc calls it impingement.

The doc says we can either do arthroscopy and clean out the shoulder or try another cortisone shot and more PT.  But he says that that most likely won't work since it didn't the first time.

Here is my problem - I am getting new insurance in Jan and going up to a very high deductible.  For this year I have met my deductible so surgery will be very low cost.  The doc can fit me in on Jan 30th.  But should I do it???  Surgery is so scary, and what I'm most scared about is the recovery.

So tell me, who has had arthroscopy surgery on their shoulder and what is the recovery like?  If I have it on a Wed will I be able to go back to work the following Mon and type and write (it of course is my right shoulder and I'm right handed).  Doc office says I can but won't want to be there forever.  Also, what about running and biking?  He says I can do that pretty much right away after I feel better.  But what does that mean?  Will I be back to running in a week?  No problem swinging my arms?  Biking?  Will I be able to put weight on my arm/shoulder?  I know I'll be out of swimming for 2-3 mos and I can live with that.

On the other hand - if I don't have it will I regret it and need it soon anyway?

What to do, what to do????  And so little time to decide!

Thanks for any advice especially from anyone who has been there.

Never had it but have done a lot of it   Your doc has given you a pretty accurate description.  If you aren't planning on surgery potentially til January 30th...over a month away another shot and more PT certainly is going to do you no harm and if it goes away then fabulous.  People with rotator cuff tendinitis and bursitis tyically have reffered pain on the outside of their arm where the deltoid inserts.  I would encourage you to continue your home exercise program reagardless to what you decide

My experience is that it takes most people about 3 months to TOTALLY get over this surgery....note the TOTALLY.  I would let you ride the trainer almost right away.  I'd say you could run when you are comfortable.  WHen will that be?  Hard to say.  Pain is very subjective and each persons experience is different.  I can do the same surgery on 2 different people on the same day and one is out playing golf the next day and the other is incapacitated for 6 weeks.  If you were doing super well could be as soon as a week.  My best guess would be running would be OK 2-3 weeks post op.   PT post op is essential.  If you have surgery weds you could go back monday,  You probably won't be happy by the end of the day tho.   Ask for a cooling unit for your shoulder.  It pumps cold water around your shoulder and helps tremendously with pain and swelling post op.   

Only you can decide if this is bothering you enough to have surgery.  If you have surgery in early january you will probably be rehabbed and ready to tri this year.  It is the off season and a good time to be rehabing. DO you have a chance of gettign better without surgery ...yes.  Can anyone predict if further conservative care will work ....no.  The success rate by the orthopedic literature for this surgery is 80%  Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.  I might now someone in your area if you want another opinion.

2009-12-21 10:11 AM

Veteran
Newmarket, Suffolk
I had a similar surgery this past October, so I'm just over 2 months out. He did a subacromial decompression on my left shoulder. Basically I had an impingement (which was originally diagnosed as tendonitis). I did physical therapy and shots for about 2 years to try to avoid surgery. During the surgery, the doctor went in and shaved down my shoulder and collarbone to make the join bigger. He also found that my labrum was a little frayed, so he smoothed that out as well.

The week after surgery, I was kind of in a drugged out haze, but not too much pain. I was only in a sling for about 2-3 days, although I supplemented with the sling a bit when I went back to work (at 2 weeks out) because I stand up all day and my back and neck would get a bit tired. I was not allowed to move it over 90degrees for 4 weeks, which was a bit of a pain, but since I'd been in pain for about 2 years, and had already modified to not use that shoulder much, that wasn't much of an inposition for me.

I started running again about 5 weeks out of sugery (had almost full range of motion at that point), with almost no discomfort. I'm not running very long (about 30 minutes at a time), but the shoulder was ok with the impact. I was allowed to start biking again at that time, as well, although I'm mostly on a trainer due to the weather and not wanting to get stuck out far from the house and suddenly decide that it hurt and I wanted to be home. I can put weight on my shoulder now - that was probably about 8 weeks out. Before that it was just really too weak, but with the increase in strength training with my physical therapy I'm able to hold myself in a plank position with no problems.

In terms of pain - the first 4 weeks were not easy. Everything hurt and I took pain meds most nights to sleep. Most of the pain was due to the bones being raw, I think. At the 4 week point, there was a dramatic decrease of pain, and I felt almost normal again. I took pain meds to sleep until about 6 weeks out. Now at 2 months, I have basically full range of motion and am cleared to do everything but swim. It does still ache sometimes and it will twinge when I'm getting dressed if I move my arm the wrong way, and it gets worse in the cold. But I would say the first 4 weeks were the worst. After that, the pain is really minimal.

From my perspective, I say go for the surgery. As someone who had to wait for 2 years to get it - the recovery from surgery is so much easier than trying a bunch of stuff that ultimately won't work. If the first injection didn't work (the pain came back) it'll probably happen in the same way with the second one. It sucks to take a few months off to recover from surgery, but it's way better than missing way more time trying to figure it out otherwise only to eventually end up having surgery anyway.

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me or post here :-)
2009-12-29 7:46 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

I had this done about 14 years ago but they cut my shoulder open ( huge trophy scar).  Everyone here is correct with recovery.   Get it done and move on.  No more shots.

Kevin
2009-12-29 10:09 PM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Actually having it done tomorrow Dec 30th!  Ready to get it done and move on!
2009-12-30 1:15 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Hoping everything went OK and you're home now. Heal up quickly!

2009-12-30 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Lisa

I hope it went well.  

I had my right knee scoped this morning so we are both in rehab-recovery mode.   I had a section of torn meniscus floating in the knee.

Stay positive and work you shoulder therapy as you would your tri training and you will do fine.

Kevin
2009-12-30 6:02 PM

User image

Regular
Michigan/Florida
wow, I'll be watching this one.... I'm passing on surgery til after the 2010 season.

After my injury in Late September of this year, I really laid off all swimming and training in general.. it was after my tri season so I figured what a great time to get an injury like this... well by the end of the second month, it was getting more and more painful everday, waking me at night and uncomfortable all day.

I went through an arthrogram(sp?) and MRI in November to discover my shoulder that was hurting so much had suffered a torn Labrum(again sp?)

Option 1( as provided by doctor): Physical Therapy that MAY help a little, but will not repair the problem by any means
Option 2: arthroscopic surgery 12 weeks recovery...

Dilemma... I had to leave Dec. 1 for Florida to start my training back up for 2010 season..

I opted for a quick try at the physical therapy and stabilization excercises along with a very low key swimming program...

WOW, glad I waited! I'm up to 4000 yd workouts, speed workouts etc.. with no or VERY little discomfort (short lived), and I plan on skiing with the family when I head backup North and continue my training. Ocean swimming has also been no problem after the family has joined me down here. After this season though, I do intend on the right fix.. timing didn't work for me this year and I think I am VERY lucky that my shoulder responded to the specific excercises the way it did.

I sincerely hope all went great for you today. I'll be watching for an update!
2009-12-30 10:20 PM

Hope your surgery went well and you are recovering without a lot of pain. 

My husband had this surgery on Dec 15.  He tried the shots at PT, but realized it would be something that would always be bothersome and hold him back on his activity level.  He also had a small rotator cuff tear that was repaired.  He is still in a sling, but should get rid of it soon.  He is hoping to get back to running next week.
2010-01-01 7:47 PM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
hi all.  thx for encouragement!  am home now recovering.  a tear was discovered during surgery and repaired.  sad cause rehab will take longer.  have this awful sling _ like a bolster pillow against my body to hold my arm out it away.  not very comfy.  but hey i'm typing for first time.  can't wait to start rehab monday to get back on track
2010-01-02 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Lisa

Go slow. 

I went out today and started feeling really bad so I am now back in my recliner with an ice bag on my knee.

Kevin

2010-01-02 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2589448

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
b2673ad - 2010-01-02 3:26 PMLisa

Go slow. 

I went out today and started feeling really bad so I am now back in my recliner with an ice bag on my knee.

Kevin
hard to go slow, huh?
2010-01-02 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2588445

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Lisa B - 2010-01-01 8:47 PM hi all.  thx for encouragement!  am home now recovering.  a tear was discovered during surgery and repaired.  sad cause rehab will take longer.  have this awful sling _ like a bolster pillow against my body to hold my arm out it away.  not very comfy.  but hey i'm typing for first time.  can't wait to start rehab monday to get back on track
  Glad you got it fixed!!!  First few days are the worst.  What was torn? labrum or rotator cuff?

2010-01-02 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2589499

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Lisa B - 2010-01-02 4:11 PM
b2673ad - 2010-01-02 3:26 PMLisa

Go slow. 

Kevin
hard to go slow, huh?

Yes it is hard.

For your sleeping issue try sleeping in a recliner. Works well.

I see you rode in the Covington Bike ride back in August. I was there and it was motivating at the start with all those riders lined up.  Not sure if I will be back this year as I am still working out the 2010 ride/race schedule.

Kevin 
2010-01-03 7:48 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Lisa

Checking in on you. How is it going today?

The swelling in my knee is going down but the knee is still pretty stiff.

Recovery

Kevin
2010-01-03 8:12 PM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Kevin - Thx for checking up on me. I'm hanging in there. First day of rehab tomorrow. How long is your recovery? As is when can you start back s/b/r?Socks, not sure but think it was my labrum (sp?) that had the tear. Didn't get t report yet. Need to find out tomorrow.

2010-01-04 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Lisa

I am trying to do heel slides to loosen up my leg/knee and I am seeing some slow progress.  I have a follow-up appointment this week but the Dr said I could start riding & swimming with-in a week if I felt like it.  I dont feel like I am ready yet but my plan is to try to swim on Saturday and then start slowly on the bike trainier after I see how I handle the swim.  I will start back to my regular twice a week swimming next week.  No running for 6 weeks. 

I remember my shoulder rehab and progress comes slowly.  Finger walks up the wall, rope pully to help raise my arm and getting in pool with float under my hand to slowly raise my arm.  Dont press the rehab as it will take time but you will be good as new soon.

Hang it there.

Kevin
2010-01-23 2:41 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

Lisa

How are you doing? How about an update? I am scheduled for mid-February. I should have dealt with it right after last season. I may be jeopardizing my tri and OW season, but I have some significant OW aspirations in the next couple of years and I feel my shoulder would stand in the way of achieving them. Time to fish or cut bait.

2017-03-25 2:34 AM
in reply to: Lisa B

b>Arthroscopyis surgery that uses a tiny camera called an arthroscope to examine or repair the tissues inside or around your shoulder joint.

During Shoulder Arthroscopy the arthroscope is inserted through a small cut (incision) in your skin.Arthroscopic shoulder surgery may be recommended for these shoulder problems:
A torn or damaged cartilage ring (labrum) or ligaments.Shoulder instability, in which the shoulderjoint is loose and slides around too much
or becomes dislocated (slips out of the ball and socket joint)
A torn or damaged biceps tendon.
A torn rotator cuff.

Knee arthroscopy is a surgical technique that can diagnose and treat problems in the knee joint. ... Arthroscopy diagnoses several knee problems, such as a torn meniscus or a misaligned patella (kneecap). It can also repair the ligaments of the joint.Knee Arthroscopy is done as a result of Torn meniscus. Meniscus is ligament that pads the space between the bones in the knee. Arthroscopic knee surgeryAis done to repair or expel it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arthroscopy Surgery - Shoulder - Anyone had it? Rss Feed