General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Experienced Tri’ers - think back please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-01 9:03 AM

User image

New Hampshire
Subject: Experienced Tri’ers - think back please
Think back to your first tri – or tri season

What was the best and worst thing you can remember – and the one thing you wish you’d done differently?

Ta

2004-04-01 9:12 AM
in reply to: #15851

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Experienced Tri’ers - think back please
trained for it I was a runner and I winged the other two.
2004-04-01 9:37 AM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
I don't know if I qualify with only one to my credit, but I would definately wear a wetsuit!!! Two maybe....
2004-04-01 11:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Adel
I'm in the same boat I've only done one... but the worse thing was that it took about 3 minutes to get around the turn around because there were about 50 of us there at the same time. The best thing was the last 100-200 yards of the run with everyone cheering you on. I also found it funny that as I was just finishing the bike, I could hear the loud speaker announcing the 19 year kid coming across the finish line.

The only thing I may have done different would have been to either pick a triathlon that started in waves or one that had a longer swim where the group could spread out a little bit. Treading water on the turn around was the worst part because you can just feel the time ticking away.
2004-04-01 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
England

Likewise, I just have done one but.........

I took a wrong turn on the cycle and ended up disappearing down a long hill before I realised and then had to cycle up again just to get back on track! The lesson - drive/cycle the route beforehand so you know where to go!

Enjoy!

2004-04-01 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
England

Edited by Bigpikle 2004-04-01 2:54 PM

2004-04-01 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakeland, Florida
I just followed the swimmers n front of me and ended up quite a ways off course. Ya gotta look up every once in awhile.
2004-04-01 3:50 PM

My best -- I was well prepared for the transitions, and did well in them. I had practiced a lot, and it paid big time.

My worst -- not being a runner, my shins started hurting and it was the beginning of my shin splints.

Do differently -- (I have already) stripped my bike of all the extraneous stuff (rear and front racks, believe it or not; water bottle cages; pump (replaced with CO2 cartridge I haven't practiced with yet); large saddle bag (repalced with much smaller one).

The other thing is ----- train in running!!!!!!

2004-04-01 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis, MO
Subject: After my first full year.....
and 6 triathlons, make sure you can get off the bike strong!! If this means riding more - then do that, more bricks - do that. Whatever it takes to come off the bike with plenty in reserve. If you've got nothing or very little left, all your run training is wasted!!

Secondly, if it is legal to wear a wetsuit - DO IT!

Thirdly, tri-shorts are the only way to go. No wasted time in transition.

Finally, do races to have FUN!! O.K. it's great to achieve goals but sometimes, it ain't your day. Don't let that bother you or keep you from just enjoying being out there. Remember just doing triathlon puts you in a group that is only like 2% of the adult American population. Feel good about being different in a positive way!!

Best of Luck to All,
Paul
2004-04-01 4:46 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
I've been tri-in for 2 years... well really one, but I did have a triathlon in that first year.

Best thing to do--train in situ. On course, with your food stuff (get your stomach used to what you will be feeding it, transitions, bricks, etc. NO SURPRISES! I have not worn a wetsuit, and you need to be prepared for that sort of... shock! I haven't yet stooped to having friends pound on my head with padded oars while I'm swimming to simulate the mass of people, but I'm almost that ready to do it!!

Worst--not learning how to breath bilaterally during the swim. It totally took me off course one year. I was breathing only on my left, and the shore was to my right. I was so far out that boats were coming after me and shouting over their bull horns. I had some current pulling me in the same direction so it made my Oly swim feel like an 1/2IM... now that I think of it, it probably was!!

Dana :-)
2004-04-01 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Best - Definately finishing.

Worst - Did a Tri in Nebraska years ago, and did not know there were seperate transition areas about for bike and run....

Also trying to "wing-it" on a 1k swim (I'm better prepared now.)

2004-04-01 10:00 PM

User image

Central Louisiana

I don't want to sound all mushy and everything, but crossing the finish line that first time on a very short tri, was one of the most emotional things I had ever gone through.  It was not as great as geting married or the birth of my son, but hey it was up there.  My suggestion to all would be to have fun.  Yes a triathlon is a race, but don't base everything on your finishing time, base it on the investment that you have made in your life, and the gains that you once thought were unattainable.

What I wish that could have been different?  I wish I had a group like the folks here, that I could have told that I was scared to death the night before and that I could have told that I couldn't sleep.

2004-04-02 6:43 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
the absolute BEST thing was the friends I made. Chat it up with people on your rack, the people near you on the beach, and others when you finish and are back in the transition area. My two best friends are women I met on my bike rack during my first season. We did all the same races and are in the same AG. Fun!

The hardest part was the condition of the roads. Full of spring pot holes. Since there is not much you can do about that, I suggest riding the course before the race, just to check it out.
2004-04-02 7:38 AM

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
My first tris were back in 1994. 3 of them, all sprints.

The best part was the folks I met during the training and racing and the progress I made during the season.
The worst part was coming out of the swim in a race and being so trashed I was literally laying down on my aero bars when I mounted the bike. This is the day I learned the importance of swim pace......

2004-04-02 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Wow.
These are great posts....
thanks!
2004-04-02 10:36 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
I'm with Michael in that I wish this forum was here 2 years ago when I had a million questions and needed support.

Best things first: Finishing with the crowd cheering, chatting with people in the transition area, wearing my t-shirt home
Worst things: Wearing my canoeing wetsuit for my first tri - should have just forgotten the wetsuit thing entirely as this suit dragged something awful. Also there were about a million weeds to get stuck in the gaping areas. Even without the wetsuit issues, I HATE SWIMMING IN WEEDS!!!!!

Jen

2004-04-03 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Worst part - seems to consistently be the swim - I forgot to breathe as I swam and I ended up gasping and doing a lot of side stroke. Also, I would recommend a race belt - keeping up with that number as the temp (air and body) changes is a pain.

Best part - smooth biking. Smooth transistion to run. Kept up with my hydration and nutrition - coach had drilled us on drinking and eating, as needed.

Thanks for asking - I don't know if this gives you any help...but I do recommend a race belt - can't say that enough.
Vanessa
2004-04-03 9:08 PM
in reply to: #16275

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA

Thanks for asking - I don't know if this gives you any help...but I do recommend a race belt - can't say that enough.
Vanessa

Vanessa, what's a "race belt"?
2004-04-04 10:15 AM

It's just a little belt you wear around your waist -- and you attach your race number to it with the snaps that are on the belt. This alleviates having to pre-pin the number on a shirt, and is quick to put on as you start out from the Transition area.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Experienced Tri’ers - think back please Rss Feed